Waiting for Superman - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Waiting for Superman Reviews

September 15, 2017
Explains well the faults in US education system.
December 8, 2016
I'm not sure how I missed this film given my wonkish tastes, but I heard the director, Davis Guggenheim discussing it on my fave new podcast by David Axelrod so thought it was time to catch up.

I'm a true believer in the power of education and passionate about encouraging all young people to do their best, find what they love, and reach as high as they can. This film made me weep - children waiting in a hall to see if they have, literally, won in a bizarre public lottery to get access to a school that can help them do that. Broken systems, failed experiments, generations of young people left on the scrap heap in what experts call "dropout factories". The film is not without it critics, and deservedly so, and the solutions posed have also been shown to be highly controversial, and patchy in their success. There are no easy answers.

But in the end, setting all that aside, these kids will grab you and then break your heart. You so want them to be get the chance to do the best they can. And not all of them will have their number come up. Absolute heartbreaker.
November 11, 2016
Waiting for Superman is a gripping documentary. It is about parents send their children off to school with the highest of hopes. Charles Adams and Jonathan Alter give amazing performances. The script is good but a little in places. Davis Guggenheim did a great job directing this movie. I enjoyed it because of the drama. Waiting for Superman is a must see.
½ May 4, 2016
Excellent doc on the truly pathetic state of the education system in the USA. It's actually quite sad when you really shed some light on it.
April 23, 2016
I believe in a better school system for today's youth, and this film seems to show that we need it. You don't truly know until you see it.
November 21, 2015
I am still reeling from this film; I watched it tonight. To watch the disappointment in families eyes when they lost the lottery... unforgettable. Juxtaposed with the teachers in New York receiving a paycheck in "rubber rooms"; what a crime (thank goodness the reassignment centers have been closed).
I feel a renewed interesting in pushing for better education everywhere. Working with kids from all walks of life, I never cease to be amazed at their intelligence, hope and potential. I hope we can create a better educational system in this country.
June 17, 2015
important topic. i felt for the families. felt like a propaganda film to me.
June 9, 2015
A wake up call to our broken school system, that has some how managed to become even more broken after this documentary was made.
March 20, 2015
I know it's an American problem but with how closely Canada tries to emulate America, it's only a matter of time before this begins to bleed into Canada.
March 14, 2015
Everyone needs to see this film. It is shocking and heartbreaking , the number of students in America that are great kids but no chance of making it to college because of our broken down system.2
½ December 30, 2014
This Waiting For Superman movie is sad! Yes parts are embellished n stuff but the serious is not a lie...
December 14, 2014
Enlightening film from the director of An Inconvenient Truth that documents the incredulity of America's failing public school system.
Despite decades of well intended reform, America's public school results haven't improved since the 1970s.
This documentary tackles some of the factors in this failure, from the oppression of teachers unions to government law preventing sacking bad teachers.
A few case studies are shown from children entering into 'lotteries' to gain access to better schools.
Quite upsetting and angering. It certainly presses the right buttons. Doesn't leave with a great deal of hope though.
December 12, 2014
Watched in my high school Teaching as a Profession class.
November 27, 2014
Melancholic, informative, and seamlessly crafted, no documentary I have ever seen had evoked so much attentiveness from me, nor enough emotion to actually leave a thought after the credits rolled in.
July 18, 2014
An eye-opening and frustrating documentary.
May 19, 2014
watching the documentry
½ March 19, 2014
It puts human faces upon a growing problem and I think that's what good documentaries are supposed to do.
February 4, 2014
Documentary on failures (and successes) of our U.S. school system. Best movie I've seen in 4-5 years and one that I will remember for a long time. Film proves that a good education is still possible despite poverty, uneducated parents or high crime environs... Great schools are the result of great teachers! Every Crappy Teacher Should Be Left Behind. Grade: A+
½ December 27, 2013
Waiting for Superman while it does of achieve its goal of sparking conversation, it is a flawed film. Many of the ideas presented are never fully developed and the multifaceted issues within the education system are glossed over or ignored. The existence of 'dropout factories' and the United States education lag is due to many more factors than what is presented in the film.
December 8, 2013
It's missing a couple important details, but what is here is still significant. Also, the direction is really good so that's a plus