Walk the Line - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Walk the Line Reviews

August 15, 2017
With Joaquin Phoenix and Reese Witherspoon completely inhabiting the respective roles of Johnny Cash and June Carter, and sure-handed direction from James Mangold, Walk the Line is an affecting drama that brings the legend of Johnny Cash to the screen in superior fashion.
½ August 7, 2017
I remeber hating this movie soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much.
told mom "actualy I have homework to do."
July 27, 2017
This is an upsetting story about an even more upsetting man.
June 21, 2017
I was 8 years old when I first saw this movie...
As someone who grew up in the south, this movie portrayed the lower class southern family very well in the first 15min or so.
It felt like more than a movie to me... It's a really good watch that I'd recommend to anyone.
June 20, 2017
An exceptional film featuring outstanding performances. And of course, then there's the music. GGWC
½ June 18, 2017
In spite of its standard biopic gaps and simplifications, Walk the Line gets the big things right.
June 10, 2017
A deeply felt character piece that is beautiful and heartbreaking. James Mangold does exactly what you're supposed to do with this type of story. He shows you the reality, explains that reality, and never makes any excuses for it. He doesn't attempt to justify the shortcomings in the life of Johnny Cash, but he also doesn't pander by overly criticizing them. This is a movie that is justifiably angry at times, but is also tremendously empathetic. Beautiful stuff.
½ May 6, 2017
A biopic with wonderful music and strong acting, but also a less than fully satisfying script.
½ May 4, 2017
What an ironic title. We very clearly observe that the main character could not walk the line. I've never really liked Johnny Cash, but I think I like him even less after seeing this. For a biopic it isn't terribly made though. (First viewing - In my early twenties)
March 29, 2017
Walk the Line is musical drama about two country singers who fall in love. I loved the singing in the movie and Reese Witherspoon is a great actress. I thought the movie went on a little too long, but I loved watching the relationship grow over time. I would recommend this movie to people who like country music.
March 20, 2017
Well acted and interesting, but it just doesn't feel like anything special.
½ March 18, 2017
its joney cash
and i am just inspired and amazed
March 16, 2017
One of the best movies ever
March 2, 2017
Filme quase perfeito ( em questões biográficas )
February 22, 2017
Watched this many times, a great story, cast, with excellent performances both acting and musically.
½ February 1, 2017
Not without a thread of sentiment, relatability (and not to mention my personal knack for musical biopics) but this is certainly one of my favorite films. Resonated with (& impacted) me on so many levels, helmed by great direction and Oscar worthy performances
January 19, 2017
Walk the Line is a 2005 American motion picture directed by James Mangold, that can be considered a biopic as it is concerned with the life of the musician Johnny Cash, who is played by Joaquin Phoenix. The movie illustrates Cash's life and career from his youth until the year 1968 when he proposes to the singer June Carter, played by Reese Witherspoon.
After a short scene at Folsom Prison, where Johnny Cash examines a buzz saw before his performance, the story begins with Cash's youth in Arkansas, where his brother dies in a working accident with such a buzz saw. His father implies that it was Johnny's fault and says that god had taken the wrong son - a circumstance which Cash never manages to overcome. Cash's feeling of being insufficient will remain the motor of his downfall throughout the movie and this probably also leads to his addiction to pills and alcohol. Finally, Cash manages to get clean with the help of June Carter, with whom he is, although being married to another woman and having children, in love with and to whom he proposes in the end. Towards the end, the buzz saw scene at Folsom Prison is shown again, which closes the circle.
No matter if performing on stage, adoring June Carter or breaking down high on drugs and alcohol, Phoenix manages to convince the audience by providing the viewer with raw emotions and uncompromising credibility. However, Phoenix' magnificent performance as a broken and pitiful man, is only made possible by an equally talented Reese Witherspoon, who manages to create an endlessly charming and lovely June Carter.
As this movie is concerned with the life and career of different musicians, it is not surprising that it is packed with diegetic as well as non-diegetic music. However, Walk the Line cannot be considered only appropriate for fans of 50's and early 60's popular music. With its exiting and tragic plot and Phoenix' and Witherspoon's great acting, this movie will leave every cineaste satisfied.
½ January 10, 2017
Excellent movie into the story of Johnny Cash, one of the greatest American musicians of the century. Joaquin Phoenix gives a superb performance and deserves the oscar just as much as Reese Witherspoon. The film gives a candid representation of the music lifestyle, and the struggles that Johnny Cash had to fight with. Just the music performances alone are really entertaining and fun. But the film takes many serious turns that are so powerful. In the end, this film is very loving and sweet but can be brutally emotional as well. You'll definitely enjoy it.
November 24, 2016
This Johnny Cash biopic elevates only because of Joaquin Phoenix and Robert Patrick's excellent performances. Reese witherspoon is also amazing in her own way. Another great music biopic analyzing the psychology of an artist with the beauty of drama and inner conflict.Beautiful music and cinematography keep us all inhibited in this movie.
Another film that comes close to this will be the Joy Division frontman's biopic Control. Watch this because music biopics are rarely this good