WarGames (War Games) Reviews

• Apr 01, 2021

A crash course in computer security concepts, WarGames is a fun, funny, and surprisingly believable romp. It was refreshing to see a hacker film which doesn't rely on ridiculous tropes and actually makes an effort to understand the vulnerabilities it's playing with. Matthew Broderick and Ally Sheedy's performances are good enough, but unfortunately, the latter half of the film forces them into an awkward romance. There is also a bit of questionable pacing near the climax of the film (that helicopter scene felt like it lasted about 15 minutes), but overall, the concepts are interesting enough to make this one worth watching.

• Feb 12, 2021

One of my all-time science-suspense movies. Great plot, humor and heart, wonderful performances by Matthew Broderick , Ally Sheedy-and Barry Corbin as the quintessential AF general.

• Jan 04, 2021

Even with a cliche plot, this movie is well done. A teenager igniting the destruction of the world and then trying to save it? Love it.

• Dec 30, 2020

The last 10 minutes are "K". Other than that, it is a decent watch.

The last 10 minutes are "K". Other than that, it is a decent watch.

• Dec 06, 2020

Truly a classic in the sci-fi and teen movie genres!

Truly a classic in the sci-fi and teen movie genres!

• Nov 08, 2020

I watched WarGames after rereading Ready Player One, and I wasn't disappointed. It's a fun film with an interesting concept, but it's a bit dated and cheesy now. The first half is thrilling in a nostalgic kind of way, but things fall apart towards the end after the main characters meet Falken (the inventor/designer). I didn't like Falken as a character or some of the military guys, and the final sequence of teaching the machine to realise it couldn't win nuclear war seemed a stretch too ridiculous. Nevertheless, the cinematography was solid, the soundtrack was cool, and the concept was unique. It's worth a watch, especially if you like Ready Player One (the book, not the awful film).

• Sep 24, 2020

Classic for kids and adults alike.

Classic for kids and adults alike.

• Sep 23, 2020

WarGames is a stylish and original Cold War thriller. I first saw it as an adolescent in the '90s. At the time I thought it was an absurd little curiosity from the '80s. I found the graphics dated, and though the premise of a teenager accidentally hacking into the Department of Defense and inadvertently setting off a series of events that nearly led to all-out nuclear annihilation almost laughably absurd. Watching it again in 2020, I think the movie was ahead of its time. While a nuclear conflagration wouldn't play out exactly as in the movie, with the U.S. and U.S.S.R. holding trigger-happy fingers over the launch buttons, the idea of a miscalculation is as high today as it ever was. The movie is also a cautionary tale about AI, which wasn't taken as seriously in the '80s back when people were still optimistic about the future of technology. The idea of general AI glitching, or, more disturbingly, deciding to destroy humanity, seems like an ever growing threat.

• Sep 14, 2020

Once more, a wise-guy teenager tries to prove he's smarter than any adult-and nearly destroys the whole world in the process-in WarGames. Computer-game aficionado Matthew Broderick inadvertently taps into a hush-hush Pentagon computer, then proceeds to inaugurate his favorite game, "Global Thermonuclear War". Matthew Broderick's geek-cool persona is perfectly put to use in WarGames. Ally Sheedy was terrific in the title role working and playing off Broderick to splendid success. The film builds to a tense (and witty) conclusion at the Cheyenne Mountain nuclear bunker in Colorado Springs. WarGames has a perfect script, stunning special effects and a great soundtrack. This movie belongs in a time capsule of 1980's classics. 9/10

• Sep 11, 2020

This movie is an example of how the actions of one teenager simply playing a video game can change the world-and not necessarily for the better! It's a little exaggerated, but fun and interesting to watch. Matthew Broderick and Ally Sheedy were great in the title roles and it definitely keeps you on the edge of your seat!