Watership Down - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Watership Down Reviews

½ July 9, 2017
A movie I remember having a strange effect on me as a child due to the fact that it is quite harrowing in places, that I wanted to revisit in adulthood to try and put my finger on the reason why this has remained at the surface of my subconscious when I have in all probability forgotten so much else from that era. It is actually a very haunting film, both in terms of the wonderful animation and the superb score which accompanies it, and I'm not just talking about THAT song (you know the one). I actually picked up on so much of the background sound effects, such as the bird song and rustling of the trees and hedgerows, which really brings the world of the rabbits to life. I think this film really helped shape the positive relationship which I feel I have with the English countryside. I am so glad that it is still everything I remember it being as a child.
July 2, 2017
An amazing film that proves animation is a legitimate art form rather than kids stuff.
June 16, 2017
This film left me mixed. The animation is beautiful and the cast is star studded but the action takes half the film to kick into gear. Also the character development is lacking. The movie is beautiful but lacks some important components. If you wanna see beautiful animation then check out this film. But if you're looking for a good action packed story, this film isnt for you. It leaves you mixed and confused.

Rating: 6.1/10
April 23, 2017
Surprisingly violent imagery and themes are mixed with strong voice talent and a totally creative story about animal nature in a film that shows that animation can speak more than just pleasing children's fare.
February 10, 2017
The book is certainly worth reading also... goes over EVERY form of political leadership
February 4, 2017
Haunting, and timely as ever.
January 15, 2017
One of my favorite films and animated films of all time!
January 11, 2017
While definitely not suitable for young children (or those with a weak constitution,) Martin Rosen's adaption of "Watership Down" teaches us a heart-warming lesson about freedom and friendship, while staying true to the brutally gruesome aspects of the novel.
½ November 17, 2016
Beautifully animated and boldly realistic, Watership Down remains faithful to the book without sugarcoating the dark, complex themes.
November 16, 2016
Not a kids film. It's ultra-dark, ultra-bleak, depressing and a real downer. The animation is beautiful, and the story is fairly great but it's hard not to let the overall bleakness of the film get you down or even anger you after a while.
August 20, 2016
An enchanting story beautifully animated with a wonderful score. Amazing and enthralling from beginning to end. So good to see hand drawn animation especially having seen nothing but CGI for so long. Hand drawn is the difference between a live performance and striking a keyboard.
August 14, 2016
A semi dark and realistic animated movie but also very cool and well done.
½ July 31, 2016
Watership Down is a classic dark film about rabbits venturing to find a new home!
½ May 11, 2016
The story of the Aeneid told with talking rabbits with the tone of Mad Max. Sound disturbing? It is. But oh, is it beautiful.
May 9, 2016
Watership Down (1978) ????
Downbeat but beautifully done animated feature based on director Martin Rosen's wonderful book about a group of precocious rabbits who flee from their warren and face many dangers to find and protect their new home. Marvelous, intense, and extremely well directed, though it should not be seen by children. John Hurt is memorable as main rabbit Hazel; stylish score by Angela Morley. One of the finest non-Disney animated films ever made. Martin Rosen also directed his novel THE PLAGUE DOGS.
April 26, 2016
Poetic, unconventional, violent, and gloriously beautiful; "Watership Down" is not just one of the greatest animated films ever made, but I believe it is one of the greatest films ever made period.
½ April 1, 2016
Great animation and interesting story. As a kid I remember I found it dark and scary and terrible, but as I'm older it's not. Blood and death in a kids movie, i love it! I didn't read the book. It was patient in pacing, but sometimes felt like I missed a scene here and there, and also like the beginning and the ending were both abrupt. Strange unnecessary dream sequence though. Was this movie an allegory?
½ March 25, 2016
Classic book and classic film. The story is told beautifully and it is difficult to imagine it done any better. You build an affinity with the characters and feel empathy towards them. are The final scene is touching. Given the subject matter, this is treated for adults rather than softened up for children's audiences. Not your "Disney" treatment. Thankfully.
½ March 25, 2016
Beautifully animated and just dark enough to make for an incredibly engaging film for adults. Watership Down is a film I will show my children.