What Maisie Knew - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

What Maisie Knew Reviews

March 12, 2018
The story is a fascinating tale and the acting is top notch, which makes 'What Maisie Knew' an independent movie with heart and soul. Told from the perspective of six year old Maisie (Onata Aprile), the premise of two parents who are selfish and put themselves ahead of their child is believable. Some of the relationships that develop are not entirely tenable, but the performances of Aprile, and Julianne Moore carry a the story to greater heights. The men in this film are penned with compassion, but are also flawed. Steve Coogan, in a rare dramatic role shines. When Alexander Skarsgård gets a chance to act in something like this he shows the potential he has. Unfortunately, scripts like this one don't often get made into feature length films. Amazingly, this tale was written in 1995 (based on a late 19th century novel), but didn't get made for over 15 years.
The key here is Aprile, and she's up to the challenge in an authentic representation of what would be going through a girl of that age. Her chemistry with her co-stars, effervescence, and willingness to see the good in people despite her surroundings is endearing. Final Score: 7.7/10
½ March 9, 2018
Well done and all but I found the story a bit forced after a while. The parents are simply too irresponsible, with oversized egos to be making sense. Although I admit that worse things have happened, with less sense.
January 8, 2018
With a bit more of subtlety, Maisie would have understood a bit less, and I would have liked the movie a bit more.
December 27, 2017
Thought this one was ok, but, not terribly exciting
½ August 17, 2017
Spectacularly directed with the sensitivity and attention to detail that is required when dealing with the difficult subject, 'What Maisie Knew' is a hard-hitting drama that tells the story of how a young girl experiences the separation of her utterly ignorant and irresponsible parents. And difficult to watch it is, with Onata Aprile stealing the spotlight, making you want to reach through the screen and strangle those responsible for preventing her from enjoying any happiness that comes her way.
½ December 26, 2016
A sensitive and sad film that can be uncomfortable and infuriating sometimes as we witness a child getting caught in the middle of a troubling divorce between her pitiful parents - and it knows how to tackle this delicate matter with the subtlety that it deserves.
November 22, 2016
A poignant look at a chia'd-eye view of selfish parent's splitting up. Spoiler alert! At least this modern version of the depressing Henry James novel has a happy ending--she ends up with her parent's rebound exes, who fall for each other and her. And the mother has the grace and unselfishness to realize they are better for Maisie and give her up to them.
October 2, 2016
A rather gut wrenching movie through the eyes of a 6 year old little girl who must endure the day to day dealing of a bitter divorce between her parents. This movie filled me with anger at times, especially when the parents bad mouthed each other in front of and to Maisie. It was also hard to watch her get passed off so flippantly to other people because her parents were so irresponsible and self centered. Sadly, this is a reality for many children these days and I think this movie did a good job reflecting that.
½ September 9, 2016
Having watched my own family fall apart at Maisie's age, I'm skeptical of some of the events shown in this film and I can't help but wonder why Maisie's "replacement parents" didn't involve CPS. Regardless, "What Maisie Knew" is nothing short of beautiful and poignant.
August 28, 2016
What a heart-breaking story! Absolutely LOVE Maisie!
August 21, 2016
As someone who is working professionally side by side with the Child Welfare field, this is never an easy movie to watch. I have seen and known too many children in my life who are struggling daily to live in a childhood which is destroyed by all the chaotic and messy lives of their selfish parents who will very likely never know how to be a responsible, loving & caring caretaker for their precious children. Adults seem to always undermine the ability of children to see through all the lies and broken promises what the actual reality is when their parents keep telling them in words how much they love their children but their actions show the otherwise. A must watch for all the current and future parents!!! :!-(
½ August 12, 2016
Essentially "Kramer vs Kramer" with a daughter and shown exclusively from the her perspective, Onata Aprile excellently carries this portrait of a child stuck in a torn home with brief moments of tenderness.
August 3, 2016
Ending was real dark
July 1, 2016
Powerfully acted although heartbreaking to watch.
June 4, 2016
Started out slow but was a good movie.
½ May 5, 2016
Great performances, great casting, story jumps the shark.
April 11, 2016
What Maisie Knew is an interesting and well acted movie that has a compelling story, but that lacks of originality and unpredictability sometimes.
April 11, 2016
March 27, 2016
Want a reason to slap Julianne Moore in the face? Hard? Well here it is. It must be hard for an actor to portray a self absorbed, genuinely shitty person, because the better you are, the more people will hate you. Whereas Alexander Skarsgard (who can do no wrong in my book anyway) gets the much easier role of being the perfect parent by forfeit. Overall some great performances, especially from Onata Aprile and Skarsgard who slip seamlessly into their characters, unlike the usually faultless Coogan, who seems to be floundering in American cinema. Back to Norwich I say!