What Maisie Knew - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

What Maisie Knew Reviews

July 1, 2016
Powerfully acted although heartbreaking to watch.
June 4, 2016
Started out slow but was a good movie.
½ May 5, 2016
Great performances, great casting, story jumps the shark.
April 11, 2016
What Maisie Knew is an interesting and well acted movie that has a compelling story, but that lacks of originality and unpredictability sometimes.
April 11, 2016
March 27, 2016
Want a reason to slap Julianne Moore in the face? Hard? Well here it is. It must be hard for an actor to portray a self absorbed, genuinely shitty person, because the better you are, the more people will hate you. Whereas Alexander Skarsgard (who can do no wrong in my book anyway) gets the much easier role of being the perfect parent by forfeit. Overall some great performances, especially from Onata Aprile and Skarsgard who slip seamlessly into their characters, unlike the usually faultless Coogan, who seems to be floundering in American cinema. Back to Norwich I say!
½ March 3, 2016
I'm ashamed of any parent that has acted similarly, including myself, without considering the best interest of your child. I highly recommend all parents watch.
January 27, 2016
Wonderful film, that is hard to watch at times. Enjoyed every performance! Fabulous movie!!
January 26, 2016
Decent, bitter-sweet.
January 14, 2016
I enjoyed this a lot. No violence, or sex, just a small human story. It helped to have a Henry James novel as a source for the scenario, and Suzanne Moore as the rock chick added a lot of value. Onate Aprile was also impressive as Maisie. It's a New York movie: there's a genre of these. Good stuff.
January 11, 2016
I want to call it delightful but it's not. It's a sad tale of shocking parenting & child neglect. The delight comes from the young actress playing Maisie and her relationship with Alexander Skarsgard & his character. She illuminates the screen and his clear fondness for her is palpable.
December 22, 2015
The story of two warring parents and the little girl caught in the middle. A difficult picture to warm to as the vast majority of the characters are very dislikeable but the performances are good and much of the drama is grounded in realism.
December 11, 2015
Knowingly pulls at the heart strings, the film never feels overly sentimental particularly being told from the point of the child.
December 10, 2015
A bitter and toxic coupling fighting over the custody of their young daughter Maisie, told through the gentle, sweet, mostly peripheral vision of the young girl. It is so easy to get into excessive sentimentality or cliches ('see how the children suffers!'), particularly hard to manage the girl's performance in such subtle, understated tones. This is a great success, mostly because of the translucent, natural, limpidity of the young Miss Aprile. The last few minutes releases all the wrongs -- if one really can choose their parents.
½ September 13, 2015
Strong statement without many words.
August 30, 2015
Great perspective of a child's view on divorce and touching as well.
½ August 25, 2015
Waiting for the day in cui andrņ a vivere nella casa sulla spiaggia con Alexander Skarsgard e Joanna Vanderham
August 15, 2015
Sentimental child as king, parents as infants parable which while leaving messy reality at the door nonetheless draws us in to its fairytale world so that we hope it will have the happy ending that ought to elude it.
½ July 18, 2015
Poor Maisie. She's a sweet, loving, precocious girl (played with an adorable tenderness by Onata Aprile) who happen to be in a very messy situation. Her parents (rockstar Julianne Moore and always distant Steve Coogan) are at odds with each other. They swear and shout right in front of their daughter. They neglect her and take turns trying to infuriate each other. So what's a girl to do when her recently divorced parents marry two strangers (Alexander Skarsgard and Joanna Vanderham) who happen to be far more affectionate and doting on the girl than her selfish parents ever were? Adopt both strangers and make them her new parents, that's what! Or at least that's how this sweet-natured, touching, and sometimes heartbreaking movie plays out. Aside from dealing with marriage failure, WHAT MAISIE KNEW also tackles subjects such as isolation, loneliness, and trauma. Without delving into saccharine territory, the movie somehow manages to make the viewer root for our young heroine while providing a tender touch to what could have been an otherwise harrowing story. This is a well-acted and intelligent film that I recommend quite highly, and while the R-rating is mainly due to the use of profanity, there's little else about the picture that I find objectionable.