What Maisie Knew - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

What Maisie Knew Reviews

½ December 26, 2016
A sensitive and sad film that can be uncomfortable and infuriating sometimes as we witness a child getting caught in the middle of a troubling divorce between her pitiful parents - and it knows how to tackle this delicate matter with the subtlety that it deserves.
November 22, 2016
A poignant look at a chia'd-eye view of selfish parent's splitting up. Spoiler alert! At least this modern version of the depressing Henry James novel has a happy ending--she ends up with her parent's rebound exes, who fall for each other and her. And the mother has the grace and unselfishness to realize they are better for Maisie and give her up to them.
October 2, 2016
A rather gut wrenching movie through the eyes of a 6 year old little girl who must endure the day to day dealing of a bitter divorce between her parents. This movie filled me with anger at times, especially when the parents bad mouthed each other in front of and to Maisie. It was also hard to watch her get passed off so flippantly to other people because her parents were so irresponsible and self centered. Sadly, this is a reality for many children these days and I think this movie did a good job reflecting that.
½ September 9, 2016
Having watched my own family fall apart at Maisie's age, I'm skeptical of some of the events shown in this film and I can't help but wonder why Maisie's "replacement parents" didn't involve CPS. Regardless, "What Maisie Knew" is nothing short of beautiful and poignant.
August 28, 2016
What a heart-breaking story! Absolutely LOVE Maisie!
August 21, 2016
As someone who is working professionally side by side with the Child Welfare field, this is never an easy movie to watch. I have seen and known too many children in my life who are struggling daily to live in a childhood which is destroyed by all the chaotic and messy lives of their selfish parents who will very likely never know how to be a responsible, loving & caring caretaker for their precious children. Adults seem to always undermine the ability of children to see through all the lies and broken promises what the actual reality is when their parents keep telling them in words how much they love their children but their actions show the otherwise. A must watch for all the current and future parents!!! :!-(
½ August 12, 2016
Essentially "Kramer vs Kramer" with a daughter and shown exclusively from the her perspective, Onata Aprile excellently carries this portrait of a child stuck in a torn home with brief moments of tenderness.
August 3, 2016
Ending was real dark
July 1, 2016
Powerfully acted although heartbreaking to watch.
June 4, 2016
Started out slow but was a good movie.
½ May 5, 2016
Great performances, great casting, story jumps the shark.
April 11, 2016
What Maisie Knew is an interesting and well acted movie that has a compelling story, but that lacks of originality and unpredictability sometimes.
April 11, 2016
March 27, 2016
Want a reason to slap Julianne Moore in the face? Hard? Well here it is. It must be hard for an actor to portray a self absorbed, genuinely shitty person, because the better you are, the more people will hate you. Whereas Alexander Skarsgard (who can do no wrong in my book anyway) gets the much easier role of being the perfect parent by forfeit. Overall some great performances, especially from Onata Aprile and Skarsgard who slip seamlessly into their characters, unlike the usually faultless Coogan, who seems to be floundering in American cinema. Back to Norwich I say!
½ March 3, 2016
I'm ashamed of any parent that has acted similarly, including myself, without considering the best interest of your child. I highly recommend all parents watch.
January 27, 2016
Wonderful film, that is hard to watch at times. Enjoyed every performance! Fabulous movie!!
January 26, 2016
Decent, bitter-sweet.
January 14, 2016
I enjoyed this a lot. No violence, or sex, just a small human story. It helped to have a Henry James novel as a source for the scenario, and Suzanne Moore as the rock chick added a lot of value. Onate Aprile was also impressive as Maisie. It's a New York movie: there's a genre of these. Good stuff.
January 11, 2016
I want to call it delightful but it's not. It's a sad tale of shocking parenting & child neglect. The delight comes from the young actress playing Maisie and her relationship with Alexander Skarsgard & his character. She illuminates the screen and his clear fondness for her is palpable.