When a Stranger Calls - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

When a Stranger Calls Reviews

March 4, 2017
Camilla Belle hurls herself into an emotionally and physically demanding role with heroic conviction, but this update of the 1979 movie of the same name is a suitably suspenseful but ultimately empty exercise in cat-and-mouse torment, without any hint of identity or motive given to its creeper nor does it add anything new to the classic legend, "The Babysitter and the Man Upstairs."
½ March 4, 2017
Good premise, poor execution. When a young female babysitter volunteers to help out a rich older couple, she is treated to a lavish experience that she even gets paid for. Unfortunately for her, the evening comes with the threat of death as she is soon receiving anonymous phone calls notifying her that her every move is being watched, and the mystery assailant wants to see her blood. From this point onwards its just a game of cat and mouse with her stalker chasing her around every part of the house until the closing scenes. The suspense is built and built and we're all eager to see who the villain is and what's his motive. Disappointingly, there isn't one - Unless I missed something through feeling bored (which is highly possible), it's just a random with no connection to the girl whatsoever. Other than one cameo appearance from the heroine's friend, there's no other characters to follow in this, making it a tad monotonous the longer the chase goes on. Without sounding like a complete psychopath, you don't see anyone murdered, and in truth not a lot really happens upon reflection. It's therefore quite a dull bit of viewing that is not really that recommendable unless you're the sort of person who is easing themselves into watching horrors because you scare easily. Alas, i'm clearly not one of those, and would probably rather be in receipt of prank calls than have to sit through this one again.
January 22, 2017
Disappointing movie... When we see the trailer we think: ow! this must be an excellent movie! So, what just happened was that the "excellent trailer" made us feel very disappointing with the final product... Horrible screenplay and plot,, The childreen only appeared in the end of this movie and they were boring, Rosa working at night makes no sense and we don't understand why is that stranger man trying kill them, maybe he is trying to get his revenge with that family or maybe because he is a crazy serial killer, we don't understand...
November 5, 2016
Seriously enough phone ringing already! A struggle to sit through this nearly unbearable remake (which know doubt I'm sure was way better). Dumb dumb and yeah dumb. Including the yes you guessed it - dumb ending.
½ October 11, 2016
It's so naff its great. Utter nonsense but it is actually nice to look at. Ridiculous, not that scary and with an unconvincing lead ... but...who doesn't adore phone call horror?!!
July 30, 2016
it is certainly not as bad as the critics say
July 22, 2016
Another remake that was surprisingly decent thanks to Camilla Belle.
½ May 20, 2016
I didnt had much expectation for this movie from all bad credits it has. But I must say that it surprised me in a very good way. I wouldnt call it a very creppy horro movie but a nice triller that got me on edge, and maked shills with smal jumps on some parts. For me that is easy spoked this movie was just perfect! Some parts could have been changed to the better or been more explained, maybe even happened some more things. But over all I like it alot and I think Camilla Belle did her part very good in her reactions and feelings. The ending was so great that I can watch a second movie if anyone dear to make one in these bad credits, many years after.
February 19, 2016
I actually enjoyed it to me it was better than the original ???
½ January 14, 2016
Its a fall back movie on a Sunday:)
½ December 20, 2015
Infused with cheap scares, wooden acting, and horrid direction, this trite remake serves as an appalling mish-mash of predictable cliches, as well as remarkably horrendous storytelling.
½ December 17, 2015
When a stranger calls, don't answer.
December 13, 2015
I love Camille Bell. She's beautiful and she doesn't overact, not annoying at all. I think she nailed the role. Unfortunately, the film is horrible and the plot is bad. I suppose everyone will tell me the original is better. I don't suppose that you can do any worse than this film. The plot is dumb, some idiot keeps prank calling young women to terrify them and does it over and over and over again over the course of a night. He says almost nothing, breathes hard on the phone like a moron and just tries to troll his victims.

Then eventually he gets inside the house and starts killing everyone, nobody knows how he gets or breaks in, but he somehow does. I tried to make sense out of how he got into the house where Camille was babysitting, but I couldn't figure it out. I couldn't see the flaw or what she did wrong, if anything in a house so ritzy and high-tech, that this should or couldn't really normally happen.

The film probably should be more appropriately titled, When A Stranger Bores. When A Stranger Snores. When A Stranger Overly Acts. When A Stranger Trolls. The biggest problem with this film lies in which the film does absolutely nothing for an hour. The entire film, outside of 15 minutes take place in the house. So 45 minutes is spent wasting your time with a freaked out babysitter. The chase stuff is only about 15 or 20 and the remainder of the film is the aftermath. Poorly done, poorly executed. The film had potential, but failed miserably.
November 1, 2015
Horrible movie, and worse acting!!
October 23, 2015
This was better than the original (1979) movie. I must admit, this movie did have me on tender hooks.
½ October 20, 2015
Here is a remake the probably was worth making. After an exhilarating opening scene, the original movie loses its sense of direction and veers off on a lengthy unsatisfying tangent. This movie wisely focuses on the part of that movie that did work. There is a back-story, a slow lead up, and the killer remains shrouded in mystery. Check, check, and double-check, this should be perfect now right? Not so fast, this has cardboard acting and has the feel of "dumb-teen horror movie." The setting of a gorgeous modern house in a remote location may seem more isolated and feel scary, but it defeats the point. I like how the original movie takes place in a typical suburb and involves a tragedy that could happen anywhere in middle-class America. Having a babysitter that must protect helpless children is enough to keep her anchored in one location. Some things in the plot are better in the remake, but the style and tone of the movie are wrong. I still think this concept can become a horror masterpiece in the hands of the right director. We will need to wait another fifteen to twenty years to try again.
October 20, 2015
I actually liked this more than the original, it was an improvement, probably because it's completely set in the house with the babysitter and doesn't move away from there.
½ October 17, 2015
Quite predictable and not that enthralling. When A Stranger Calls suffers from cheap scares, slow pacing, uninteresting acting & poor storytelling.
½ September 17, 2015
Just do not accept this call....HORRIBLE.
July 6, 2015
I did like the house and surrounding settings in this film. They really helped to setup a scary atmosphere. I didn't see the old film, so can't compare the acting or faithfulness to original film.