White God Reviews

• Oct 03, 2019

This movie distressed me a great deal, but it was also absolutely brilliant.

This movie distressed me a great deal, but it was also absolutely brilliant.

• Feb 23, 2019

If you're a dog lover, this is going to be a tough watch -- I don't know how much is clever editing and how much is putting the dogs through some unnecessarily rough treatment for the sake of a film (I really hope it's more of the former) -- but the result certainly speaks for itself. 'White God' is unlike any other animal/dog film I've seen before, dark and brutal. It's fantastically filmed and directed by Kornel Mundruczo who manages to create a palpable atmosphere, elegantly cycling through a number of genres as it goes from drama to thriller and finally, adding some horror elements in the final act. He's, essentially, managed to create a revenge thriller with a dog as his main character instead of a human, and all without feeling like a lot had to sacrificed in the script to account for that fact. That can't have been an easy feat. Admittedly, I'm not entirely sure what the ultimate message is here -- is it an allegory? Is it to be taken literally? I don't know. Regardless, what's been achieved is a pretty impressive experience either way.

• Jan 16, 2019

I cannot believe this, it's the 15th January and I've already seen possibly two of the worst films of my life. I do not care if this is supposed to be a parable, it's basically an X rated edition of 'Lassie'. This is woeful.

• Apr 21, 2018

Harrowing and beautiful. The final scene took my breath away.

Harrowing and beautiful. The final scene took my breath away.

• Feb 16, 2018

It's a pretty powerful film. Starts as a normal kid-and-dog drama, and ends up as a revenge-horror movie. I don't know if it would have worked out for me just as drama, and I am definitely sure it wouldn't have worked out as a horror, but the mix is done with the right doses so for me was very enjoyable. Plus, this work deserves 1/2 a star more because it helped a lot of furry friends to find a home. (shame that this initiative wasn't done with "Gremlins", by the way)

• Jan 05, 2018

I thought I was going to see a Lassie Come Home type movie but this is a horror movie. Hated it.

• Jul 08, 2017

White God n'est pas un film nécessairement facile à regarder, surtout pour les amoureux des chiens (bien qu'il n'y a aucune violence subjective) mais l'interprétation de la jeune Zsófia Psotta, de même que celle des animaux rend le film vraiment intéressant. Certains messages sont également présent laissant place à l'interprétation du spectateur et bien qu'il n'auras probablement pas la même renommée que le classique "The Birds", on ne peut s'empêcher de le comparer à ce dernier (dans le bon sens du terme)

• May 01, 2017

What started out resembling a family-oriented, away-from-home dog adventure story drastically turned into a rather gruesome cautionary tale of canine uprising. Not exactly Planet of the Apes apocalyptic, tho that's probably for the best. Amazing visuals; the fact that they directed and literally set free hundreds of dog instead of using any CGI makes it even better. No wonder the canine cast got a Palm Dog at Cannes.

• Mar 20, 2017

Strange and metaphoric with a climax that could be horrifying or comedic, depending on your relationship with dogs.

• Mar 20, 2017

Either as a friendship story of a teenage girl and her dog or a parable on the rise of the canines on the despiteful humankind, this winner of Un Certain Regard Award at 2014 Cannes Film Festival is beautifully shot but lacks bite.