Romeo + Juliet - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Romeo + Juliet Reviews

½ July 15, 2016
Aunque esta actualizacion fue hecha con toda seriedad, apegandose al clasico literario, no puede evitar tener un cierto toque Ęcamp" con humor involuntario. Aun asi merece una oportunidad.
½ July 12, 2016
I don't know where to start with this movie-I'll just say that it is one of the worst movies I've ever seen. Horrific overacting, ridiculous costumes and sets, next to no chemistry between the lead roles, and the casting...oh, the casting. While DiCaprio and Danes are good choices in theory, they have almost NO CHEMISTRY, as I said earlier. This isn't surprising when you consider that the actors greatly disliked working together in real life, and it is painfully obvious while watching this train wreck. Don't even get me started on John Leguizamo as Tybalt. On the subject of the setting, I am not at all opposed to a modern version of Romeo and Juliet, but this was just done wrong. The decision to keep the original dialogue while set in the 1990's was intriguing in concept, but so misguided in its execution. This is also the most horrifically 90's movie I have ever seen and it has not aged well at all. I actually thought parts of this movie were a joke, it is so painful to watch-I laughed through the majority of it and cringed through the rest. I honestly don't understand why the rating on this movie is as high as it is.
June 23, 2016
Great movie!! As a fan of Shakespear's plays, Ireally enjoyed the modernization, while holding on to the small things, like the dialog, and the weapon names used in the play. The critics have NO IDEA WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT WHEN THEY SAYTHAT THIS ISN'T AFGREATMOVIE!!Everyone,from Dicaprio and Danes, to the actors playing Mercucio, The Police Chief, To Leguizamo playing Tybalt, truly brought this play to life!! If you don't at least like this movie, then you DEFINITELY are NOT a true Thespian.
½ June 12, 2016
Modern day retelling of the literary classic. The direction is sloppy at times but the choreography and the cast redeem a film that could've easily been a disaster.
May 5, 2016
It has a solid start, but after that it gets all bogged down in goofiness and cheesiness.
½ May 5, 2016
The best version of the Shakespear's tragedy of all the time!
I loved DiCaprio's performance
April 27, 2016
WOH WHAT. That's all I have to say on the matter
April 13, 2016
Best Leo DiCaprio movie I've ever seen...!
April 2, 2016
Probably Leonardo's most underrated and underappreciated performance of his career. He was fantastic. Claire Danes was great as well.

Calling Romeo + Juliet unique would be an understatement. Everyone is at least familiar with the story of Romeo & Juliet, its been told countless times. Well, its never been told like this haha. We get the William Shakespeare dialogue but everything else is completely different. Luhrmann managed to take a classic tale and do a complete 180 with it while still keeping the story itself the same. R + J is silly and pretty strange. But I enjoyed the heck out of it. I can see this film really growing me as time goes on. I won't be surprised if I full on love this film after another watch or two.
½ April 2, 2016
I had to watch this in English class. This made me want to go on a violent rampage.
March 28, 2016
Terrible, what can I say otherwise. The 1968 version by Franco Zeffirelli is surely the best as a film.
½ March 10, 2016
Shit...Oh my god, this sucked. I could write four pages on why this is such a crappy movie. They didn't really modernize it like they said they would, they just took the script then replaced any sentence with "medieval times" to "beach" and swords and horses with "guns and cars". Leonardo Dicaprio also did a crappy job in this film...most annoying performnace ever.
March 3, 2016
loser movie - awful actors
February 19, 2016
I was in school when it came out fell in love.
½ February 17, 2016
Not a definitive Romeo and Juliet but an innovative, experimental, avant-garde, 90s one for Generation X. Claire Danes's Juliet seems pretty perfect to me while Leo's matinee-idol good looks are appropriate for this role of a teenage Casanova.
½ February 16, 2016
I new take to the classic R+J. In my opinion replacing swords with guns ruined most of the good fight scenes. The ending was also pathetic.
½ February 3, 2016
Romeo and Juliet on steroids.
February 1, 2016
I love this movie despite what everyone else says. Leo and Claire are so so cute in the movie and the end breaks my heart
January 21, 2016
it is a fast paced movie which takes you on a ride
½ January 1, 2016
total and utter horse doo doo