Romeo + Juliet - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Romeo + Juliet Reviews

½ March 1, 2017
If you bring the stories of Shakespeare into the modern day, you need to update the dialogue to fit into modern day
February 20, 2017
Baz Luhrmann translates Shakespeare's masterpiece quite poorly to the
modern day environment which, despite visually entertaining, is poorly executed, obnoxiously acted, painfully scripted, often very noisy, and worst of all there is very little believable chemistry between the two leads.
February 15, 2017
A pretty stupid and pointless adaptation. It was obnoxious and loud, it just doesn't work for a Shakespearean play
January 29, 2017
Great people on board, but to me, this is not a good adaptation.
January 12, 2017
This should be retitled MTV presents Romeo and Juliet. Takes everything great about the original and ruins it by making it hip and modern.
December 20, 2016
First off, this movie could very easily rate better, I just settled with a 3.5
Second, the beginning is wonderfully intense, and the source material certainly helps with the film's success.
December 14, 2016
There is this quality in all Shakespearean plays that makes them relevant today. Luhrmann took the greatest love story of all time and tried to mondernize it. Modernize it while keeping the original text, showing us that what they said and how they acted back then translates the same in modern times. True that is, but some of the modern visuals and some of Luhrmann's directional choices felt so out of place, they managed to ruin the whole moment. The love story was there, but I couldn't see the chemistry between the two leads. That being said I was really positively impressed by DiCaprio's acting skills so early in his carreer. He was exceptional!

PS:I'm "Skam" trash and that's why I'm here
½ December 6, 2016
For a modernized version of one of Shakespeare's greatest plays, you'd think they speak modernly as well. But naw.
October 26, 2016
The best Shakespearean adaptation for cinema ever. Inspirational and bold.
½ October 20, 2016
If a theater had a poster of this movie, I wouldn't spit in its direction.
I hated Romeo + Juliet. Hated it.
October 17, 2016
I like how they adapted it to be set in modern day, but it doesn't work if you use the original script. It just doesn't work.
September 16, 2016
Narrativa fascinante! O texto clássico no cenário do séc. XX causa um impacto efervescente! Baz Luhrmann em plena forma na sua manipulação pop!
September 16, 2016
I dident like it a little to mutch action and the plot werent the best either
August 16, 2016
It obviously was not meant to be taken seriously, yet somehow I was entertained in the most brilliant way possible.
August 11, 2016
Romeo + Juliet is one of the worst retellings of Shakespeare's classic play. Reason being is because it's "inventiveness", in my opinion, is being as ubsurd as possible and while being modern yet still medieval and, in my opinion, these two types of styles were separated over a long period of time for a reason, because they do not blend well at all and the direction that it is given and the editing is so ubsurd that I think it was trying ro match the ubsurdness of the movie and if that was the case then they have succedded. But, saying that, there are some good things in this mess like good performanes and masterful set pieces and the tone of the movie was pretty good as well. But, besides that all I can say about Romeo + Juliet is that it's the most ubsurd mess I've ever seen.
½ July 24, 2016
Twenty years later, this version of Shakespeare's play still rocks!
½ July 15, 2016
Aunque esta actualizacion fue hecha con toda seriedad, apegandose al clasico literario, no puede evitar tener un cierto toque ¨camp" con humor involuntario. Aun asi merece una oportunidad.
½ July 12, 2016
I don't know where to start with this movie-I'll just say that it is one of the worst movies I've ever seen. Horrific overacting, ridiculous costumes and sets, next to no chemistry between the lead roles, and the casting...oh, the casting. While DiCaprio and Danes are good choices in theory, they have almost NO CHEMISTRY, as I said earlier. This isn't surprising when you consider that the actors greatly disliked working together in real life, and it is painfully obvious while watching this train wreck. Don't even get me started on John Leguizamo as Tybalt. On the subject of the setting, I am not at all opposed to a modern version of Romeo and Juliet, but this was just done wrong. The decision to keep the original dialogue while set in the 1990's was intriguing in concept, but so misguided in its execution. This is also the most horrifically 90's movie I have ever seen and it has not aged well at all. I actually thought parts of this movie were a joke, it is so painful to watch-I laughed through the majority of it and cringed through the rest. I honestly don't understand why the rating on this movie is as high as it is.
June 23, 2016
Great movie!! As a fan of Shakespear's plays, Ireally enjoyed the modernization, while holding on to the small things, like the dialog, and the weapon names used in the play. The critics have NO IDEA WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT WHEN THEY SAYTHAT THIS ISN'T AFGREATMOVIE!!Everyone,from Dicaprio and Danes, to the actors playing Mercucio, The Police Chief, To Leguizamo playing Tybalt, truly brought this play to life!! If you don't at least like this movie, then you DEFINITELY are NOT a true Thespian.
½ June 12, 2016
Modern day retelling of the literary classic. The direction is sloppy at times but the choreography and the cast redeem a film that could've easily been a disaster.