Romeo + Juliet - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Romeo + Juliet Reviews

½ June 22, 2018
I find it extremely difficult to describe this film with words that are not related to trash. "Romeo + Juliet" is the final transformation of trash movie, but it has a particular characteristic: it hasn't been thought as trash. An example: good Asylum Production's movies are trash, but they're intentionally trash; "Romeo + Juliet" was originally thought as a kind of serious motion picture, but it is just garbage. But I cannot continue this damned review by repeating "This is trash, that is trash" so let's analyze the plot (most of garbage films doesn't even have it): it is Romeo and Juliet story in the late 80s! Ain't this crazy? But, but, the worst's coming: middle English words, expressions and even goddamned rhymes have been kept. What's worse than 80s guys speaking like minstrels? I think nothing. At least this is a kind of technical good work. Poor director! He's done a good work with the camera etc. but all that remains does not even deserve the half star it's been given. I propose watching "Romeo + Juliet" a new type of psychologic torture.
½ May 20, 2018
Spoilers Below!

I think that this movie was great because it helps young people to understand it more since it is in a different setting, but still traditional because 9it has the same dialogue as the original Shakespeare play. The acting is great and when Romeo died next to Juliet that was the best acting scene it the movie. I love how the director has these creative ideas to make old things like the modern one's today, for example, the longsword is a gun. I saw a ballet of the play and it was beautiful, but when I watched this it matched up because of all the vibrant costumes and the movement of the characters. The only thing that I didn't like was how fast the movie was going, but other than that everything was good.
½ March 16, 2018
While I personally didn't like the book, I can still see that this was a terrible adaptation. The decision to make it take place in modern day was confusing at best, since it added nothing and the dialogue remained the same. Several important scenes were glossed over, such as everyone's reaction to the deaths of the main characters (it's not a spoiler because everybody knows it). The acting, outside of the main cast (with the exception of Mercutio) is laughable at best, and obnoxious at worst. The cinematography was notably off, too, and combined with all of the problems with the book, this movie was a pretty miserable experience overall.
½ March 1, 2018
When I First Saw One Clip Of This Movie I Thought It would Be A New Interpretation That Did Not Steal From The Play, When I Heard Modern Characters Memorize Every Inch of The Play's Scrpit It Felt So Out Of placeI Felt the entire universe was in a mental institution memorizing every line. Also Leonardo Decaprio's Romeo Is So Forgetable All I Call Him Throughout The Movie Is Titanic Boy.
½ January 28, 2018
Although Shakespeare's original lines may seem out of place in the modern setting, the film does the original writing justice, and hits key plot points with great accuracy. Beautiful, colourful visuals, as well.
½ December 26, 2017
i am actually surprised that this movie has a fresh rating, it is obnoxiously edited and the dialogue is out of place. why didn't the director just take the translated version and make the movie using that script as opposed to the original. One could argue that it's a tribute to Shakespeare but it is in fact insulting.
½ December 4, 2017
This is, without a doubt, one of the worst movies that I have ever seen. The old English and acting is a terrible mix for this modern version of Romeo and Juliet. Just. Utterly. Bad.
November 29, 2017
It looks like a good movie
½ November 26, 2017
It will ALWAYS bother me that email existed in this film's universe, but when Juliette decides to feign her death she thinks it's wise to send the urgent news to Romeo via MAIL.
November 10, 2017
I love this movie! So much passion! And the reason i love it so much, is because of the two stars, Leonardo DiCaprio and Claire Danes. They are phenomenal! I feel like Leo is the best Romeo ever! And I love Claire Danes as well! Their chemistry is out of this world, and thats how it should be for Romeo and Juliet! The scene where Romeo first sees Juliet is one of my fav scenes in cinema. The ending was so moving as well!
Awesome job by Baz Luhrmann. And i love this story by Shakespeare. About two people who were so passionately in love.
Also the soundtrack is so good!
½ October 19, 2017
Very weird and very strange
½ October 16, 2017
Awful, just god awful.
October 11, 2017
My sister loved watching this back in her senior year of high school. I'm still interested over two decades later to view the whole film.
October 9, 2017
This movie is awful! I never got why anyone liked it! The editing is beyond obnoxious, the acting is worse than the star wars prequels, and the Shakespeare language feels extremely out of place! I hate this movie! This might be the worst movie I've ever seen in my entire life!
August 20, 2017
I really enjoyed this movie. I think lower ratings are due to this movie may have been a bit ahead of it's time. I have purchased it first in vhs, dvd & now I have my digital copy. A really great creative interpretation of the writings.
½ August 8, 2017
This film was absolute garbage. No movie has filled me with so much hate or disgust.
August 6, 2017
FANTASTIC adaptation. Love everything about it; the music, the score, the modernizing, the performances, the machine-gun editing, the use of Elizabethan language. Instantly fell in love with Baz Luhrmann after this. Too bad he never quite lived up to this again, for me...
½ August 1, 2017
really didn't enjoy this modern version of the story as it was just too weird
½ July 4, 2017
3.5/5 stars

Finally getting around to watching this movie from 20 years ago.

The style is so different that I am guessing this falls into the "love it or hate it" category. It felt a bit like Quentin Tarantino meets Shakespeare.

I found it to be interesting and like the modern adaptation. It was neat that they kept the original Shakespeare dialog. At times it was a little hard to follow, but overall it made sense.

Overall, I enjoyed it, but could certainly understand folks who didn't.
June 13, 2017
I don't like this version. They tried to make it modern, BUT IT DOESN'T WORK.