Romeo + Juliet - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Romeo + Juliet Reviews

½ April 19, 2017
Kitsch as Luhrmann, deep and beautiful as Shakespeare.
April 13, 2017
This and the '68 adaptation are so different they don't really compete with each other. Luhrmann is a genius. After 20 years, this version still stands as completely contemporary. Director makes the 2 kids wholly believable and alive. I liked the change he made to death scene ending. DiCaprio stands out as ever.
½ April 10, 2017
pretty terrible and laughable. it seemed like a spoof of itself. it's a cool idea. but it just didn't work right. the dialogue did not go with the setting at all. it was so weird and awkward. and also the movie is really weird and awkward. i half-watched most of this. there was some good music (2 viewings)
½ March 30, 2017
Luhrmann focuses so much on keeping a vibrant visual style that he forgets to keep the storytelling and characters interesting. However the visual style is quite brilliant.
B+
½ March 1, 2017
If you bring the stories of Shakespeare into the modern day, you need to update the dialogue to fit into modern day
February 20, 2017
Baz Luhrmann translates Shakespeare's masterpiece quite poorly to the
modern day environment which, despite visually entertaining, is poorly executed, obnoxiously acted, painfully scripted, often very noisy, and worst of all there is very little believable chemistry between the two leads.
February 15, 2017
A pretty stupid and pointless adaptation. It was obnoxious and loud, it just doesn't work for a Shakespearean play
January 29, 2017
Great people on board, but to me, this is not a good adaptation.
January 12, 2017
This should be retitled MTV presents Romeo and Juliet. Takes everything great about the original and ruins it by making it hip and modern.
December 20, 2016
First off, this movie could very easily rate better, I just settled with a 3.5
Second, the beginning is wonderfully intense, and the source material certainly helps with the film's success.
December 14, 2016
There is this quality in all Shakespearean plays that makes them relevant today. Luhrmann took the greatest love story of all time and tried to mondernize it. Modernize it while keeping the original text, showing us that what they said and how they acted back then translates the same in modern times. True that is, but some of the modern visuals and some of Luhrmann's directional choices felt so out of place, they managed to ruin the whole moment. The love story was there, but I couldn't see the chemistry between the two leads. That being said I was really positively impressed by DiCaprio's acting skills so early in his carreer. He was exceptional!

PS:I'm "Skam" trash and that's why I'm here
½ December 6, 2016
For a modernized version of one of Shakespeare's greatest plays, you'd think they speak modernly as well. But naw.
October 26, 2016
The best Shakespearean adaptation for cinema ever. Inspirational and bold.
½ October 20, 2016
If a theater had a poster of this movie, I wouldn't spit in its direction.
I hated Romeo + Juliet. Hated it.
October 17, 2016
I like how they adapted it to be set in modern day, but it doesn't work if you use the original script. It just doesn't work.
September 16, 2016
Narrativa fascinante! O texto clássico no cenário do séc. XX causa um impacto efervescente! Baz Luhrmann em plena forma na sua manipulação pop!
September 16, 2016
I dident like it a little to mutch action and the plot werent the best either
August 16, 2016
It obviously was not meant to be taken seriously, yet somehow I was entertained in the most brilliant way possible.
August 11, 2016
Romeo + Juliet is one of the worst retellings of Shakespeare's classic play. Reason being is because it's "inventiveness", in my opinion, is being as ubsurd as possible and while being modern yet still medieval and, in my opinion, these two types of styles were separated over a long period of time for a reason, because they do not blend well at all and the direction that it is given and the editing is so ubsurd that I think it was trying ro match the ubsurdness of the movie and if that was the case then they have succedded. But, saying that, there are some good things in this mess like good performanes and masterful set pieces and the tone of the movie was pretty good as well. But, besides that all I can say about Romeo + Juliet is that it's the most ubsurd mess I've ever seen.
½ July 24, 2016
Twenty years later, this version of Shakespeare's play still rocks!