Romeo + Juliet - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Romeo + Juliet Reviews

August 20, 2017
I really enjoyed this movie. I think lower ratings are due to this movie may have been a bit ahead of it's time. I have purchased it first in vhs, dvd & now I have my digital copy. A really great creative interpretation of the writings.
½ August 8, 2017
This film was absolute garbage. No movie has filled me with so much hate or disgust.
August 6, 2017
FANTASTIC adaptation. Love everything about it; the music, the score, the modernizing, the performances, the machine-gun editing, the use of Elizabethan language. Instantly fell in love with Baz Luhrmann after this. Too bad he never quite lived up to this again, for me...
½ August 1, 2017
really didn't enjoy this modern version of the story as it was just too weird
½ July 4, 2017
3.5/5 stars

Finally getting around to watching this movie from 20 years ago.

The style is so different that I am guessing this falls into the "love it or hate it" category. It felt a bit like Quentin Tarantino meets Shakespeare.

I found it to be interesting and like the modern adaptation. It was neat that they kept the original Shakespeare dialog. At times it was a little hard to follow, but overall it made sense.

Overall, I enjoyed it, but could certainly understand folks who didn't.
June 13, 2017
I don't like this version. They tried to make it modern, BUT IT DOESN'T WORK.
½ June 11, 2017
151012 & 170611: This rendition of Romeo & Juliet has always been one of my favourites. I remember being with Juliet the first time I saw this film. It was a special night...in Saskatoon. I remember not being able to tune my ear until about half way through the film. I've loved this film ever since. Special times, so many special times. Brought a tear to my eye, again.
May 27, 2017
Wildly fun adaptation of William Shakespeare's play by writer/director Baz Luhrmann. Changing the setting of Shakespeare's plays for film adaptations isn't a new thing. It had previously been done as musicals, westerns, samurai films, gangster pictures, indie dramas about street hustlers, teen comedies, teen dramas, and so on and so forth, but none of those films brought the exuberance and audacity as this film. Set in a Venice Beach-like setting between two feuding wealthy business family empires, Brian Dennehy as Ted Montague and Paul Sorvino as Fulgencio Capulet, with their star cross lover children, Leonardo DiCaprio and Claire Danes, in roles that really put their stars on the Hollywood map, at the center of the drama. The film faithfully follows the source material's story and all of the dialogue is taken straight from the play, but the dialogue is amazingly accessible and understandable from the actors speaking the lines in a very naturalistic manner. Laurence Olivier was actually criticized in his day for delivering lines in too naturalistic of a manner and not in the traditional more sing-song of manner, which Kenneth Branagh took even further, but this film puts that on a whole new level. Actors here are gangsters, street punks, and thugs and deliver their lines as such, but their words are accessible in a way I'd never seen before that retained Shakespeare's original words. In some ways, it's kind of like Martin Scorsese's "The Last Temptation of Christ" where most all of the characters spoke as if they were off the mean streets of Brooklyn. In both cases it served to connect the characters and stories to modern audiences and crate less of a distance between the two. The film also drips of 1990s cool, with a very hip soundtrack and many fashions of the day (with a hint of Elizabethan). The film features a strong cast that also includes Harold Perrineau, Pete Postlethwaite, Paul Rudd, Vondie Curtis-Hall, M. Emmet Walsh, Jamie Kennedy, and a memorable Vincent Laresca. But the real start is Bad Luhrmann, who's combination of visuals, sound, and editing created a film so full of energy and audacity that it stands apart from any other Shakespearian film adaptation and is something truly unique. My only complaint about the film is that the modernization of the story also makes Romeo and Juliet's drama and romance seem overly trite and self important in a way that I found annoying. To the teens and teen audiences, I'm sure their love and feelings are very real and serious and worthy of live & death, but at the same time these are kids and they really shouldn't be taking themselves all that seriously. Leo and Clair might as well be the self important teens from "13 Reasons Why" for how overly serious they take themselves. Still, I don't think middle age men were Luhrmann's target audience here (i.e. me), so my criticism is probably not valid (i.e. I'm just being a cranky old man). Still, this is a wonderfully original film that demands multiple viewings.
May 18, 2017
I am doing a play on this movie. I really love how they mostly used the original script. I love the acting. I just love this movie.
½ April 19, 2017
Kitsch as Luhrmann, deep and beautiful as Shakespeare.
April 13, 2017
This and the '68 adaptation are so different they don't really compete with each other. Luhrmann is a genius. After 20 years, this version still stands as completely contemporary. Director makes the 2 kids wholly believable and alive. I liked the change he made to death scene ending. DiCaprio stands out as ever.
½ April 10, 2017
pretty terrible and laughable. it seemed like a spoof of itself. it's a cool idea. but it just didn't work right. the dialogue did not go with the setting at all. it was so weird and awkward. and also the movie is really weird and awkward. i half-watched most of this. there was some good music (2 viewings)
½ March 30, 2017
Luhrmann focuses so much on keeping a vibrant visual style that he forgets to keep the storytelling and characters interesting. However the visual style is quite brilliant.
B+
½ March 1, 2017
If you bring the stories of Shakespeare into the modern day, you need to update the dialogue to fit into modern day
February 20, 2017
Baz Luhrmann translates Shakespeare's masterpiece quite poorly to the
modern day environment which, despite visually entertaining, is poorly executed, obnoxiously acted, painfully scripted, often very noisy, and worst of all there is very little believable chemistry between the two leads.
February 15, 2017
A pretty stupid and pointless adaptation. It was obnoxious and loud, it just doesn't work for a Shakespearean play
January 29, 2017
Great people on board, but to me, this is not a good adaptation.
January 12, 2017
This should be retitled MTV presents Romeo and Juliet. Takes everything great about the original and ruins it by making it hip and modern.
December 20, 2016
First off, this movie could very easily rate better, I just settled with a 3.5
Second, the beginning is wonderfully intense, and the source material certainly helps with the film's success.
December 14, 2016
There is this quality in all Shakespearean plays that makes them relevant today. Luhrmann took the greatest love story of all time and tried to mondernize it. Modernize it while keeping the original text, showing us that what they said and how they acted back then translates the same in modern times. True that is, but some of the modern visuals and some of Luhrmann's directional choices felt so out of place, they managed to ruin the whole moment. The love story was there, but I couldn't see the chemistry between the two leads. That being said I was really positively impressed by DiCaprio's acting skills so early in his carreer. He was exceptional!

PS:I'm "Skam" trash and that's why I'm here