Romeo + Juliet - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Romeo + Juliet Reviews

½ October 20, 2016
If a theater had a poster of this movie, I wouldn't spit in its direction.
I hated Romeo + Juliet. Hated it.
October 17, 2016
I like how they adapted it to be set in modern day, but it doesn't work if you use the original script. It just doesn't work.
September 16, 2016
Narrativa fascinante! O texto clássico no cenário do séc. XX causa um impacto efervescente! Baz Luhrmann em plena forma na sua manipulação pop!
September 16, 2016
I dident like it a little to mutch action and the plot werent the best either
August 16, 2016
It obviously was not meant to be taken seriously, yet somehow I was entertained in the most brilliant way possible.
August 11, 2016
Romeo + Juliet is one of the worst retellings of Shakespeare's classic play. Reason being is because it's "inventiveness", in my opinion, is being as ubsurd as possible and while being modern yet still medieval and, in my opinion, these two types of styles were separated over a long period of time for a reason, because they do not blend well at all and the direction that it is given and the editing is so ubsurd that I think it was trying ro match the ubsurdness of the movie and if that was the case then they have succedded. But, saying that, there are some good things in this mess like good performanes and masterful set pieces and the tone of the movie was pretty good as well. But, besides that all I can say about Romeo + Juliet is that it's the most ubsurd mess I've ever seen.
½ July 24, 2016
Twenty years later, this version of Shakespeare's play still rocks!
½ July 15, 2016
Aunque esta actualizacion fue hecha con toda seriedad, apegandose al clasico literario, no puede evitar tener un cierto toque ¨camp" con humor involuntario. Aun asi merece una oportunidad.
½ July 12, 2016
I don't know where to start with this movie-I'll just say that it is one of the worst movies I've ever seen. Horrific overacting, ridiculous costumes and sets, next to no chemistry between the lead roles, and the casting...oh, the casting. While DiCaprio and Danes are good choices in theory, they have almost NO CHEMISTRY, as I said earlier. This isn't surprising when you consider that the actors greatly disliked working together in real life, and it is painfully obvious while watching this train wreck. Don't even get me started on John Leguizamo as Tybalt. On the subject of the setting, I am not at all opposed to a modern version of Romeo and Juliet, but this was just done wrong. The decision to keep the original dialogue while set in the 1990's was intriguing in concept, but so misguided in its execution. This is also the most horrifically 90's movie I have ever seen and it has not aged well at all. I actually thought parts of this movie were a joke, it is so painful to watch-I laughed through the majority of it and cringed through the rest. I honestly don't understand why the rating on this movie is as high as it is.
June 23, 2016
Great movie!! As a fan of Shakespear's plays, Ireally enjoyed the modernization, while holding on to the small things, like the dialog, and the weapon names used in the play. The critics have NO IDEA WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT WHEN THEY SAYTHAT THIS ISN'T AFGREATMOVIE!!Everyone,from Dicaprio and Danes, to the actors playing Mercucio, The Police Chief, To Leguizamo playing Tybalt, truly brought this play to life!! If you don't at least like this movie, then you DEFINITELY are NOT a true Thespian.
½ June 12, 2016
Modern day retelling of the literary classic. The direction is sloppy at times but the choreography and the cast redeem a film that could've easily been a disaster.
May 5, 2016
It has a solid start, but after that it gets all bogged down in goofiness and cheesiness.
½ May 5, 2016
The best version of the Shakespear's tragedy of all the time!
I loved DiCaprio's performance
April 27, 2016
WOH WHAT. That's all I have to say on the matter
April 13, 2016
Best Leo DiCaprio movie I've ever seen...!
April 2, 2016
Probably Leonardo's most underrated and underappreciated performance of his career. He was fantastic. Claire Danes was great as well.

Calling Romeo + Juliet unique would be an understatement. Everyone is at least familiar with the story of Romeo & Juliet, its been told countless times. Well, its never been told like this haha. We get the William Shakespeare dialogue but everything else is completely different. Luhrmann managed to take a classic tale and do a complete 180 with it while still keeping the story itself the same. R + J is silly and pretty strange. But I enjoyed the heck out of it. I can see this film really growing me as time goes on. I won't be surprised if I full on love this film after another watch or two.
March 28, 2016
Terrible, what can I say otherwise. The 1968 version by Franco Zeffirelli is surely the best as a film.
½ March 10, 2016
Shit...Oh my god, this sucked. I could write four pages on why this is such a crappy movie. They didn't really modernize it like they said they would, they just took the script then replaced any sentence with "medieval times" to "beach" and swords and horses with "guns and cars". Leonardo Dicaprio also did a crappy job in this film...most annoying performnace ever.
March 3, 2016
loser movie - awful actors
February 19, 2016
I was in school when it came out fell in love.