Romeo + Juliet - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Romeo + Juliet Reviews

½ March 16, 2018
While I personally didn't like the book, I can still see that this was a terrible adaptation. The decision to make it take place in modern day was confusing at best, since it added nothing and the dialogue remained the same. Several important scenes were glossed over, such as everyone's reaction to the deaths of the main characters (it's not a spoiler because everybody knows it). The acting, outside of the main cast (with the exception of Mercutio) is laughable at best, and obnoxious at worst. The cinematography was notably off, too, and combined with all of the problems with the book, this movie was a pretty miserable experience overall.
½ March 1, 2018
When I First Saw One Clip Of This Movie I Thought It would Be A New Interpretation That Did Not Steal From The Play, When I Heard Modern Characters Memorize Every Inch of The Play's Scrpit It Felt So Out Of placeI Felt the entire universe was in a mental institution memorizing every line. Also Leonardo Decaprio's Romeo Is So Forgetable All I Call Him Throughout The Movie Is Titanic Boy.
½ January 28, 2018
Although Shakespeare's original lines may seem out of place in the modern setting, the film does the original writing justice, and hits key plot points with great accuracy. Beautiful, colourful visuals, as well.
½ December 26, 2017
i am actually surprised that this movie has a fresh rating, it is obnoxiously edited and the dialogue is out of place. why didn't the director just take the translated version and make the movie using that script as opposed to the original. One could argue that it's a tribute to Shakespeare but it is in fact insulting.
½ December 4, 2017
This is, without a doubt, one of the worst movies that I have ever seen. The old English and acting is a terrible mix for this modern version of Romeo and Juliet. Just. Utterly. Bad.
November 29, 2017
It looks like a good movie
½ November 26, 2017
It will ALWAYS bother me that email existed in this film's universe, but when Juliette decides to feign her death she thinks it's wise to send the urgent news to Romeo via MAIL.
November 10, 2017
I love this movie! So much passion! And the reason i love it so much, is because of the two stars, Leonardo DiCaprio and Claire Danes. They are phenomenal! I feel like Leo is the best Romeo ever! And I love Claire Danes as well! Their chemistry is out of this world, and thats how it should be for Romeo and Juliet! The scene where Romeo first sees Juliet is one of my fav scenes in cinema. The ending was so moving as well!
Awesome job by Baz Luhrmann. And i love this story by Shakespeare. About two people who were so passionately in love.
Also the soundtrack is so good!
½ October 19, 2017
Very weird and very strange
½ October 16, 2017
Awful, just god awful.
October 11, 2017
My sister loved watching this back in her senior year of high school. I'm still interested over two decades later to view the whole film.
October 9, 2017
This movie is awful! I never got why anyone liked it! The editing is beyond obnoxious, the acting is worse than the star wars prequels, and the Shakespeare language feels extremely out of place! I hate this movie! This might be the worst movie I've ever seen in my entire life!
August 20, 2017
I really enjoyed this movie. I think lower ratings are due to this movie may have been a bit ahead of it's time. I have purchased it first in vhs, dvd & now I have my digital copy. A really great creative interpretation of the writings.
½ August 8, 2017
This film was absolute garbage. No movie has filled me with so much hate or disgust.
August 6, 2017
FANTASTIC adaptation. Love everything about it; the music, the score, the modernizing, the performances, the machine-gun editing, the use of Elizabethan language. Instantly fell in love with Baz Luhrmann after this. Too bad he never quite lived up to this again, for me...
½ August 1, 2017
really didn't enjoy this modern version of the story as it was just too weird
½ July 4, 2017
3.5/5 stars

Finally getting around to watching this movie from 20 years ago.

The style is so different that I am guessing this falls into the "love it or hate it" category. It felt a bit like Quentin Tarantino meets Shakespeare.

I found it to be interesting and like the modern adaptation. It was neat that they kept the original Shakespeare dialog. At times it was a little hard to follow, but overall it made sense.

Overall, I enjoyed it, but could certainly understand folks who didn't.
June 13, 2017
I don't like this version. They tried to make it modern, BUT IT DOESN'T WORK.
½ June 11, 2017
151012 & 170611: This rendition of Romeo & Juliet has always been one of my favourites. I remember being with Juliet the first time I saw this film. It was a special Saskatoon. I remember not being able to tune my ear until about half way through the film. I've loved this film ever since. Special times, so many special times. Brought a tear to my eye, again.
May 27, 2017
Wildly fun adaptation of William Shakespeare's play by writer/director Baz Luhrmann. Changing the setting of Shakespeare's plays for film adaptations isn't a new thing. It had previously been done as musicals, westerns, samurai films, gangster pictures, indie dramas about street hustlers, teen comedies, teen dramas, and so on and so forth, but none of those films brought the exuberance and audacity as this film. Set in a Venice Beach-like setting between two feuding wealthy business family empires, Brian Dennehy as Ted Montague and Paul Sorvino as Fulgencio Capulet, with their star cross lover children, Leonardo DiCaprio and Claire Danes, in roles that really put their stars on the Hollywood map, at the center of the drama. The film faithfully follows the source material's story and all of the dialogue is taken straight from the play, but the dialogue is amazingly accessible and understandable from the actors speaking the lines in a very naturalistic manner. Laurence Olivier was actually criticized in his day for delivering lines in too naturalistic of a manner and not in the traditional more sing-song of manner, which Kenneth Branagh took even further, but this film puts that on a whole new level. Actors here are gangsters, street punks, and thugs and deliver their lines as such, but their words are accessible in a way I'd never seen before that retained Shakespeare's original words. In some ways, it's kind of like Martin Scorsese's "The Last Temptation of Christ" where most all of the characters spoke as if they were off the mean streets of Brooklyn. In both cases it served to connect the characters and stories to modern audiences and crate less of a distance between the two. The film also drips of 1990s cool, with a very hip soundtrack and many fashions of the day (with a hint of Elizabethan). The film features a strong cast that also includes Harold Perrineau, Pete Postlethwaite, Paul Rudd, Vondie Curtis-Hall, M. Emmet Walsh, Jamie Kennedy, and a memorable Vincent Laresca. But the real start is Bad Luhrmann, who's combination of visuals, sound, and editing created a film so full of energy and audacity that it stands apart from any other Shakespearian film adaptation and is something truly unique. My only complaint about the film is that the modernization of the story also makes Romeo and Juliet's drama and romance seem overly trite and self important in a way that I found annoying. To the teens and teen audiences, I'm sure their love and feelings are very real and serious and worthy of live & death, but at the same time these are kids and they really shouldn't be taking themselves all that seriously. Leo and Clair might as well be the self important teens from "13 Reasons Why" for how overly serious they take themselves. Still, I don't think middle age men were Luhrmann's target audience here (i.e. me), so my criticism is probably not valid (i.e. I'm just being a cranky old man). Still, this is a wonderfully original film that demands multiple viewings.