Wilson - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Wilson Reviews

½ July 27, 2017
Laura Dern es una diosa.
July 22, 2017
This one of the most underrated movies of the year, I thought this movie was very well written and really funny, and also very charming.
July 20, 2017
I like the idea, but the execution leaves much to be desired. C-
½ July 19, 2017
3.5/5.0 stars - Grade: B
July 16, 2017
Wilson is a fine movie when it would've been something much more. Woody Harrelson was great in the title role. Laura Dern and Judy Greer were good in their supporting roles. The film has some pretty funny moments, mostly because of Harrelson. He was great and funny. The story was mostly engaging, and I was invested in the movie throughout its runtime. But the film has some significant problems. The film isn't always as funny as it wants to be. Also, the film has some tonal problems. It switches from comedy and drama and vice versa too quickly. The film also has a generic melodramatic ending that I wished the film avoided. The character of Wilson is also annoying at times. He is mostly likable because of Harrelson himself. Overall, this was a fine film with a great lead performance. I loved the director's previous work (The Skeleton Twins), but I was disappointed with this. I liked it, but I wanted to love it.
July 14, 2017
"If nobody likes being around with "Wilson", why should we?"
DVD Movie Review: Wilson
Date Viewed: July 5 2017
Directed By Craig Johnson (The Skeleton Twins)
Screenplay By Daniel Clowes, Based on his graphic novel
Starring: Woody Harrelson, Laura Dern, Isabella Amara, Judy Greer, Cheryl Hines, Margo Martindale, David Warshofsky, Brett Gelman, Mary Lynn Rajskub and Lauren Weedman.

Woody Harrelson is a terrific actor who can play lots of different kinds of characters but "Wilson" is such a stark, crass and uncomfortable lout of a character. The movie is based on the satirical graphic novel from "Ghost World" creator Daniel Clowes who also scripted. "Wilson" is a lonely, neurotic and painfully honest individual who hates the Internet as well as other plagues of modern society. Harrelson delivers a solid performance as the title character but the character brings out so much sentiment and cringe-worthy moments it's so hard to care about this guy.

As I mentioned earlier, Wilson (Harrelson)is a lonely, neurotic and painfully honest guy who struggles to make friends and he can't take the Internet as well as our modern society. Wilson's only friend is a wire fox terrier dog named Pepper. The plot moves along when Wilson reunites with his estranged ex-wife, Pippi (Laura Dern) who's a former prostitute and recovering addict. She tells Wilson that the baby he thought she aborted 17 years ago is still very much alive and well. The baby grew up to be Claire (Isabella Amara), a goth high-schooler who's depressed with her life because she's a complete outcast and she gets teased daily by her popular schoolmates.

This wonderful news delights Wilson and he explores a chance to connect with her. When Wilson and Pippi finally meet their daughter for the very first time, he persuades Claire to give him a chance to explain why he and her mother weren't there for her for all these years. Claire becomes shocked at the news at first but then she grows a little affection for him. Wilson, Pippi and Claire spent some quality time together and they even play pretend family when they come to visit Pippi's overbearingly, hyper-critical sister, Polly (Cheryl Hines).

After seeing through that their daughter isn't actually theirs, Polly calls the police on Wilson and the judge slaps him with a prison sentence of 36 months for alleged kidnapping. What kidnapping? The guy was only being friendly and getting along with his biological daughter? Alleged kidnapping gives you jail time in a maximum-security prison but tampering with national security information and destroying 33,000 emails doesn't. When will U.S. democracy ever learn?

The film tries so hard to be edgy, emotional and hilarious, it completely turns sour. From "White Men Can't Jump" to "The People vs. Larry Flynt" to "The Messenger" to the "Hunger Games" movies and to last year's wonderful "The Edge of Seventeen", Woody Harrelson has always been one of our most entertaining, energetic, funny and amazing actors working today but despite his best efforts here why should we root for this dry motormouth? Laura Dern, Cheryl Hines and Judy Greer who plays Wilson's dogsitter aren't given enough to do but Isabella Amara shines as Claire who contains the same cynical-towards-everybody outlook just like Wilson.

Directed by Craig Johnson who previously helmed 2014's "The Skeleton Twins" which became a critical hit at Sundance and starred Bill Hader and Kristen Wiig, "Wilson" might've gone into interesting places but the movie doesn't know where to take him or Woody Harrelson for that matter. If nobody likes being around with "Wilson", why should we?
½ July 13, 2017
The man who'd lost everything, is set to redefine his life.

From the director of 'The Skeleton Key', I can see his style of filmmaking as I'd watched these two films of him. That makes him a stylish filmmaker of his own style. This kind of story narration is not for everyone. But surely there are people for it. This is not a very good film, but simply a good film.

It revolved around a character who is kind of an anti-social. He has lost everything one by one in his life and now his close buddy who moved far away and then his father who has just died. So he decides to find his ex wife, and with that he comes to know some long hidden secret. Going after it, his life forever changes which is what covered in the remaining film.

It was Woody Harrelson's show. But I quite liked Laura Dern as well. It was a long time after seeing her in this kind of absorbing role, yeah, except recently from 'Wild'. And there was Judy Greer, who was not bad either. So the casting was fantastic and the story was a lot better than you could judge it from its poster.

Not an unusual storyline, but well adapted from the graphic novel of the same name. You might get impressed by it, so I say try it, despite low ratings. Anyway, I had a nice time with it. A sweet and short film, which's mostly out of real world logics. But serves its purpose, that's entertaining its audience.

7/10
½ July 12, 2017
"Wilson" ia funny, enjoyable and sarcastic character study. However, after 60 minutes of a hilarious movie, some decisions and ideias just screwed up the movie. Some illogical moments, some weird decisions and his daughter. Every character arc at the final act is borring and bad. I lost my curiosity on this movie from there on.
July 12, 2017
I really wanted to enjoy this movie more than I did. Woody Harrelson is good in this role, as is Laura Dern, but it is hard to watch or find the characters likeable.
½ July 9, 2017
Very Enjoyable. Glad I saw it. Both Woody and Laura have really good performances and work well off one another.
June 29, 2017
Had some funny moments and great dialog. This is a simple movie that is driven by dialog.
½ June 26, 2017
Woody Harrelson always does a fine job, but I can't think of a single reason to sit through this miserable drudgery.
June 25, 2017
Decent dramady.

Harrelson is great.

[6/10]
June 21, 2017
Woody Harrelson delivers a solid performance as Wilson's titular grump, but the movie surrounding him can't quite manage to make the character's sour outlook consistently relatable.
June 21, 2017
Funny as fuck!! Will see it again and again etc..
June 21, 2017
Woody Harrelson gives a strong performance as a sarcastic and no filter man in this character study. Wilson is the type you avoid eye contact with hoping won't sit next to you on the train or bus. It shows Woody's strength as an actor able to carry this movie as many of the other actors are just there. While it does have many flaws I enjoyed the performance the story involving his daughter and ex-wife is week and doesn't support the performance given.
½ June 19, 2017
When I heard they were adapting this collection of short comics to film, I couldn't help but feel both excited and wary. The source material can hardly be called a 'graphic novel' -- it's an interesting serialized comic done in varying styles; as if Peanuts met Doonesbury who then brought Calivin and Hobbes to the party. There is an underlying storyline, but for me the real soul of it somehow lives in the pieces more than the whole. The graphic 'version' also turns conventional Sunday morning comic tropes on their head, which isn't something you can easily (or at all) translate to film. So jokes that are just fundamentally hilarious in comic layout fall flat or don't even get conveyed in the film.
It's kind of like trying to adapt a video game to film. Even with a decent underlying plot, a lot of the video game 'story' gets lost in translation between media. I think that's what happened with Wilson, because the original serialized comics (I can't call it a graphic novel -- it just isn't) are totally hilarious, dark, cynical, but also soulful. Most of this doesn't make its way into the film, unfortunately.
I was also bummed that they took the location out of the story -- in the comics Wilson lives in and around Lake Merritt, Oakland (where Daniel Clowes, the writer, lives in reality).. Oakland rarely gets to be known as anything besides the other side of the bridge from San Francisco, so it was too bad they couldn't throw in some Oakland specific landmarks (e.g.. the Grand Lake Theater), just to give the movie a sense of place. This is a totally personal gripe, but just think if your neighborhood (including the specific geography, cultures, and even homeless characters) was wiped away by generic suburbia in the movie version. Of course this happens in every movie, but maybe those little bits of reality actually add up to something subconscious in a film. Or maybe not, I have no idea.
June 15, 2017
The film had its moments and certainly felt like an Alexander Payne film, just missing the core story strength. Woody is a fantastic actor and I thought this would be like Bad Santa was for Billy Bob, the story flips quickly and we miss some of the more interesting sections of the film, e.g. when Wilson is in prison. The film tries very hard but comes apart towards the finale, the opening 40 minutes was very funny and unfortunately couldn't maintain this throughout. I think the filmmakers attempted to make us like Wilson too much towards the end, felt forced and not fitting with the character. This might be adapted from a novel but that doesn't mean an ending in the book will suit a film medium. I quite liked this film and I suspect I will rewatch and review my initial 3 star verdict in the next few years. The film is very funny and could grow in viewership with streaming services, only time will tell. 15-06-2017.
½ June 10, 2017
While it has some funny moments here and there and features a hilarious performance by Woody Harrelson as the title character, I found Wilson to be a dull and forgettable mess.
June 3, 2017
I have never read the graphic novel. Lara Dern is great as usual but Harrelson carries the whole thing. A good few laughs even if it does fall a bit flat midway through.