Wilson - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Wilson Reviews

January 1, 2018
(First and only viewing - 12/31/2017)
½ December 9, 2017
I think perhaps the disconnect from audiences on this movie is that most people anticipate a comedy or deep drama. However, I unexpectedly loved this movie not for it's depth of plot but for it's glimpse into psychology. We rarely see a film that shows us the thoughts of a "normal" character. He didn't reach fame or understanding. He didn't fall completely or rise above it all. It's not inspirational, just a movie about a person going through the daily tribulations associated with a mental disorder. The movie made me feel awkward at most times and it's almost reminiscent of Mice and Men. Only, this movie doesn't give the main character the excuse of having visible handicaps. I say Bravo to the writer and also Woody Harrelson who pulled off the nuances of this character beautifully.
½ December 9, 2017
Interesting movie that will probably turn off a lot of people. I really had no idea what this movie was about before watching it. It takes a really hard right turn about half way through the movie. You can't help, but feel sorry for Wilson. This movie is a dark comedy that can be touching at times.
October 24, 2017
Bored, turned off after 10 min or so. Comic was awesome, movie just dull.
October 21, 2017
"If nobody likes being around with "Wilson", why should we?"
DVD Movie Review: Wilson
Date Viewed: July 5 2017
Directed By Craig Johnson (The Skeleton Twins)
Screenplay By Daniel Clowes, Based on his graphic novel
Starring: Woody Harrelson, Laura Dern, Isabella Amara, Judy Greer, Cheryl Hines, Margo Martindale, David Warshofsky, Brett Gelman, Mary Lynn Rajskub and Lauren Weedman.

Woody Harrelson is a terrific actor who can play lots of different kinds of characters but "Wilson" is such a stark, crass and uncomfortable lout of a character. The movie is based on the satirical graphic novel from "Ghost World" creator Daniel Clowes who also scripted. "Wilson" is a lonely, neurotic and painfully honest individual who hates the Internet as well as other plagues of modern society. Harrelson delivers a solid performance as the title character but the character brings out so much sentiment and cringe-worthy moments it's so hard to care about this guy.

As I mentioned earlier, Wilson (Harrelson) is a lonely, neurotic and painfully honest guy who struggles to make friends and he can't take the Internet as well as our modern society. Wilson's only friend is a wire fox terrier dog named Pepper. The plot moves along when Wilson reunites with his estranged ex-wife, Pippi (Laura Dern) who's a former prostitute and recovering addict. She tells Wilson that the baby he thought she aborted 17 years ago is still very much alive and well. The baby grew up to be Claire (Isabella Amara), a goth high-schooler who's depressed with her life because she's a complete outcast and she gets teased daily by her popular schoolmates.

This wonderful news delights Wilson and he explores a chance to connect with her. When Wilson and Pippi finally meet their daughter for the very first time, he persuades Claire to give him a chance to explain why he and her mother weren't there for her for all these years. Claire becomes shocked at the news at first but then she grows a little affection for him. Wilson, Pippi and Claire spent some quality time together and they even play pretend family when they come to visit Pippi's overbearingly, hyper-critical sister, Polly (Cheryl Hines).

After seeing through that their daughter isn't actually theirs, Polly calls the police on Wilson and the judge slaps him with a prison sentence of 36 months for alleged kidnapping. What kidnapping? The guy was only being friendly and getting along with his biological daughter? Alleged kidnapping gives you jail time in a maximum-security prison but tampering with national security information and destroying 33,000 emails doesn't. When will U.S. democracy ever learn?

The film tries so hard to be edgy, emotional and hilarious, it completely turns sour. From "White Men Can't Jump" to "The People vs. Larry Flynt" to "The Messenger" to the "Hunger Games" movies and to last year's wonderful "The Edge of Seventeen", Woody Harrelson has always been one of our most entertaining, energetic, funny and amazing actors working today but despite his best efforts here why should we root for this dry motormouth? Laura Dern, Cheryl Hines and Judy Greer who plays Wilson's dogsitter aren't given enough to do but Isabella Amara shines as Claire who contains the same cynical-towards-everybody outlook just like Wilson.

Directed by Craig Johnson who previously helmed 2014's "The Skeleton Twins" which became a critical hit at Sundance and starred Bill Hader and Kristen Wiig, "Wilson" might've gone into interesting places but the movie doesn't know where to take him or Woody Harrelson for that matter. If nobody likes being around with "Wilson", why should we?
October 16, 2017
I laughed my arse off. Woody was just perfect for this roll. Such a real view of so many peoples lives portrayed in an honest expression.
October 5, 2017
Wilson is the story of the prickly man played by Woody Harrelson who questions life and his life as well. This comedy has its moments but strangely it just doesn't hang together. And the the last third is just totally unrealistic as the story takes turns that just don't add up.
½ August 20, 2017
I hate this movie. It started off good but gets worse by the minute. All the characters are some shade of pathetic. Minus that one dog sitter who later dates the guy.
August 15, 2017
only because it was shot in Minnesota. it was ok
August 10, 2017
I really do not understand how someone could rate this film lower than five stars.

Everything about this movie is so real and funny! It's so good. Yeah, it's not Brad Pitt and the girls are not hot, but that's exactly what makes it so good. This film has nailed showing the deep thoughts and feelings i think so many people have, and the story is great.

It actually is the first time i'm reviewing a movie because i can't stand the fact that people became so hooked on fake stuff and forgot what is a real sweet romantic and realistic film is.
½ July 27, 2017
Laura Dern es una diosa.
July 22, 2017
This one of the most underrated movies of the year, I thought this movie was very well written and really funny, and also very charming.
July 20, 2017
I like the idea, but the execution leaves much to be desired. C-
½ July 19, 2017
3.5/5.0 stars - Grade: B
July 16, 2017
Wilson is a fine movie when it would've been something much more. Woody Harrelson was great in the title role. Laura Dern and Judy Greer were good in their supporting roles. The film has some pretty funny moments, mostly because of Harrelson. He was great and funny. The story was mostly engaging, and I was invested in the movie throughout its runtime. But the film has some significant problems. The film isn't always as funny as it wants to be. Also, the film has some tonal problems. It switches from comedy and drama and vice versa too quickly. The film also has a generic melodramatic ending that I wished the film avoided. The character of Wilson is also annoying at times. He is mostly likable because of Harrelson himself. Overall, this was a fine film with a great lead performance. I loved the director's previous work (The Skeleton Twins), but I was disappointed with this. I liked it, but I wanted to love it.
½ July 13, 2017
The man who'd lost everything, is set to redefine his life.

From the director of 'The Skeleton Key', I can see his style of filmmaking as I'd watched these two films of him. That makes him a stylish filmmaker of his own style. This kind of story narration is not for everyone. But surely there are people for it. This is not a very good film, but simply a good film.

It revolved around a character who is kind of an anti-social. He has lost everything one by one in his life and now his close buddy who moved far away and then his father who has just died. So he decides to find his ex wife, and with that he comes to know some long hidden secret. Going after it, his life forever changes which is what covered in the remaining film.

It was Woody Harrelson's show. But I quite liked Laura Dern as well. It was a long time after seeing her in this kind of absorbing role, yeah, except recently from 'Wild'. And there was Judy Greer, who was not bad either. So the casting was fantastic and the story was a lot better than you could judge it from its poster.

Not an unusual storyline, but well adapted from the graphic novel of the same name. You might get impressed by it, so I say try it, despite low ratings. Anyway, I had a nice time with it. A sweet and short film, which's mostly out of real world logics. But serves its purpose, that's entertaining its audience.

7/10
½ July 12, 2017
"Wilson" ia funny, enjoyable and sarcastic character study. However, after 60 minutes of a hilarious movie, some decisions and ideias just screwed up the movie. Some illogical moments, some weird decisions and his daughter. Every character arc at the final act is borring and bad. I lost my curiosity on this movie from there on.
July 12, 2017
I really wanted to enjoy this movie more than I did. Woody Harrelson is good in this role, as is Laura Dern, but it is hard to watch or find the characters likeable.
½ July 9, 2017
Very Enjoyable. Glad I saw it. Both Woody and Laura have really good performances and work well off one another.
June 29, 2017
Had some funny moments and great dialog. This is a simple movie that is driven by dialog.