Wimbledon - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Wimbledon Reviews

July 15, 2016
7/10/2016: I thought this movie was pretty decent. It had a nice story and a likable cast.
½ February 26, 2016
There's just something about this film I really love! It's got great "quirk" factor.
February 10, 2016
Paul Bettany and Kirsten Dunst are brilliant!
December 19, 2015
Not that great of a movie. Very boring.
½ August 6, 2015
Average movie but the leads do just enough to save the set.
February 2, 2015
Great movie! Paul Bettany, James McAvoy and Kirsten Dunst are amazing actors :) Sam Neill is also great :)
½ January 19, 2015
Paul Bettany makes this movie rather pleasant while Kirsten Dunst does pretty much nothing else except for reading lines and doing the frowning most of the time. James McAvoy is such a joy to watch.
January 2, 2015
Watch this film every June/July during the Championship. Bettany is fantastic, whilst Dunst is typically American.
½ September 13, 2014
For a film that labels itself as sports, romance, and comedy, it surprisingly manages all three rather well.
August 4, 2014
(First and only full viewing - 6/3/2013)
July 20, 2014
A highly predictable, but very entertaining film. Perhaps it's my love for tennis that clouds my judgment, but the film is a lot of fun. Paul Bettany, James McAvoy, and a young "Jamie Lannister" are all great in here. Even Kirsten Dunst, who is often a hit or a miss for me, is quite likable. This is a type of a movie where you have to give in and enjoy the ride. Love means nothing in tennis! Love means zero!
April 15, 2014
I am a person rarely pleased with basic romantic comedies, so Wimbledon wasn't a film I had high expectations for. But considering that Kirsten Dunst took on the lead role, it sounded like it was worth checking out.

Wimbledon isn't exactly the best film, nor is it my usual kind of film. But it certainly wasn't the generic romantic comedy that I was expecting it to be.
Admittedly, it isn't my kind of film. Since watching Tennis isn't my favourite sport as I prefer to watch more hands on games, Wimbledon doesn't exactly capture my entertainment from a sporting perspective. And since the romantic comedy genre is arguably one of my least favourite kinds since movies of the kinds tend to follow the same predictable path, Wimbledon certainly needed to do a lot to appeal to me although the chance wasn't too likely. And although I found that Wimbledon did have its moments which were somewhat funny and charming, overall it was a rudimentary and formulaic film which balanced both genres well but took generic routes through them. I really didn't enjoy Wimbledon for the exact reason I expected, and so it certainly isn't a film that can supply any surprises or much originality.
The plot in Wimbledon is easily predictable, and so the entire experience is merely a dull one because during the 94 minute running time there was really insufficient entertainment material which rendered the film feeling like it ran for a lot longer than it actually did. And since the film has a mere 94 minute running time, this is problematic.
There aren't really any strong comedic moments in the film. While there is occasionally a laugh or two to be had at some of the humourous things that the characters are saying, there was no consistency with the success of the film and so it was at best a sporadically funny film which was built on formulaic roots and never managed to transcend them. It wasn't a cringe-worthy film and its lighthearted and laid back atmosphere made it easy to watch, but it was the same basic thing from every sports film with a basic romantic story, and it simply didn't make me laugh enough or give me any surprises. I wasn't too surprised with the quality of Wimbledon because it didn't defy my expectations, but I was just disappointed that the effect of the film was so weak. It had the appropriate musical score to enhance it, but it didn't have the right material to be successful or all that funny so the effect of the film was an emotionally distant and ineffective romantic comedy which had some slight comedic moments but nothing that continuous entertainment was able to consist of.
Although, Wimbledon does have a certain visual appeal to it.
They cinematography in Wimbledon is skilfully shot, particularly during the tennis match sequences. The camera eye follows the movement of the ball very well and makes the sporting aspect of the film depicted well from a visual perspective, and it is edited very well too. And at other times it moves gently to keep the dramatic mood of the film active. The cinematography captures everything well, all of the scenery and attractive cast members.
And although the material is fairly generic, the cast to manage to bring out the best in and at least allow some life to come into Wimbledon.
The lead performance of Paul Bettany is a fairly decent one. While his character is a somewhat generic one, he transcends the usual male protagonist from a lot of lesser quality romantic comedies by actually putting ambition into his character. It is easy to see that Peter Colt truly wants to win the Wimbledon cup, and you can tell that Paul Bettany is really thinking like a man in the situation would be. He works the lead role with ease from a dramatic standpoint and even has his own comedic moments from time to time. Paul Bettany manages to take on the lead role in Wimbledone with ambition and dedication which is more than I have come to expect from generic films like this, so his talent manages to transcend the actual quality of the film as a whole.
But the standout cast member is surely Kirsten Dunst. Kirsten Dunst's natural charm makes her an appealing lead in Wimbledon. She is a very attractive woman, but she transcends that with her ability to work her way into the comedic roots of the material well. Like in Bring it On, Kirsten Dunst reveals her natural talent for comedic charisma which she brings out again in Wimbledon, and so of all the cast members in the film she is the main source of the successful humour. She manages to make Wimbledon a more compelling film than it needed to be or even deserved to be simply because it is difficult for audiences not to get sucked into her graceful friendly charm just as Paul Bettany's character Peter Colt does. Kirsten Dunst manages to transition into an adult role very well in Wimbledon because she tackles the material very maturely and lets her comedic charm take over so that her performance is both a real and appealing one where she shows off how good she is in comedy and drama material, and her chemistry with Paul Bettany is very appealing.
Jon Favreu really doesn't get enough screen time in Wimbledon which is a shame because he is a naturally funny man and his brief appearance benefits from his natural charisma. So although Wimbledon doesn't know how to capitalise on him, somebody was at least smart enough to cast him in the film to make it less laugh-free.
Sam Neill's small amount of screen time is good as well, although from a dramatic standpoint.

But despite the efforts of Kirsten Dunst and the stylish direction of Richard Loncraine, Wimbledon fails to transcend its generic roots and falls into being a formulaic and predictable film of both the sports and romantic comedy genre which is easy to forget.
½ March 8, 2014
Its nice to have something different blended into a rom com. Luckily I like my sport and this just worked as a film. Both Bettany and Dunst play very likeable characters however Wimbledon is riddled with predictable behaviour and unforgivably cheesy lines. Its a shame cause it has an originality about it. Overall its well paced, entertaining and wasn't too heavy on a romance scale, enabling me to enjoy it.
½ February 3, 2014
3 1/2 stars!

Very enjoyable movie actually! Pretty cute!
November 6, 2013
I like tennis. Romantic comedies about tennis aren't as good. Lesson learned.
October 23, 2013
Satisfactory romance between tennis players gets a big lift from superior cast, including stars Bettany & Dunst, and distinctly Jon Favreau as his opportunistic agent. There is one substantial surprise along the way, and is more creatively cinematic than I'd expected during some impressive tennis scenes. Disappointing though not unexpected is the rote reliance on "the big game" as a climax, spending an imprudently excessive 20 minutes, forgetting what the movie is really about. When the focus is on the people, then Wimbledon scores a point; strangely I most liked observing the amiably adversarial friendship between Bettany and training partner Nikolaj Coster-Waldau. And anytime you get a cheery Dunst in a skirt or shorts, that's a definite serving advantage.
½ July 14, 2013
Wimbledon is a decent film. It is about pro tennis player who has lost his ambition and has fallen in rank to 119 but finds love with an American tennis player who helps him find his motivation again. Paul Bettany and Kristen Dunst give good performances. The script is enjoyable but a little slow in places. Richard Loncraine did an alright job directing this movie. I liked this motion picture because of the humor and romance.
July 5, 2013
My favourite Tennis movie and for me, one of my favourite love comedies too.
June 29, 2013
Love the whole setting,mood and play and obviously the tradition. Wonderful Tournament, but when you're relegated to watching it on TV, it can be frustrating. Try reading the names/scores that are in minuscule size. They need to enlarge it!
June 25, 2013
Rom-coms such as these don't have to change the world, they just have to please you and make you happy.