The Woman in the Window Reviews

• Jun 10, 2019

Great noir and twist ending! My only complaint is Robinson’s character leaves and gives so many stupid clues along the way.

• Apr 30, 2019

The best thrilling movie ever made!

The best thrilling movie ever made!

• Jan 05, 2019

aka A Perfect Storm of Stupidity and Unbelievably Bad Luck

aka A Perfect Storm of Stupidity and Unbelievably Bad Luck

• Nov 30, 2018

Edward G. Robinson stars as a happily married psychology professor whose wife and child are away on summer vacation. After discussing with his friends the likelihood that any man can be driven to murder, Robinson strolls by a shop window, where stands a full-length portrait of a beautiful woman. He turns to find the selfsame woman (Joan Bennett) standing beside him...and before the night is over, he has killed the woman's lover in self-defense. Thus begins weaving an increasing tangled web involving Robinson, the woman, and a seedy blackmailer (Dan Duryea). Based on J.H. Wallis' novel Once Off Guard, The Woman in the Window gives us our money's worth with not one but two logical and satisfying surprise twists at the end.

• Nov 19, 2018

Consist of a similar theme to the Scarlet Street made one year later and the 1944 film Laura, this stars Edward G. Robinson as criminal professor, Richard Wanley consistent admiration and lusting at a painting of a attractive woman at a store window. And by chance gets to meet her by circumstance since she was noticing him admiring her own portrait of her. She then introduces herself as Alice Reed (Joan Bennett) and upon him being at her apartment complex, kills an irrational man in self defense. Viewers are then oblivious who he was until the movie progresses.

• Aug 25, 2018

Gripping film noir, though the ending is a bit of a cop-out.

Gripping film noir, though the ending is a bit of a cop-out.

• Aug 18, 2018

Uma pena que o final tenha sido modificado para atender à censura do "Código Hays", o que tirou parte da força do filme. Não fosse isso, seria uma obra-prima.

• May 27, 2018

This film is such a delight. An amazing film noir from the master Fritz Lang. Edward G Robinson is superb in this atmospheric thriller. A beautiful and thrilling watch from start to finish.

• Carlos M Super Reviewer
    Dec 22, 2017

Lang directs this solid film noir with intelligence, building tension without hurry and relying mostly on a clever script full of nuances, an inspired dialogue and great performances, even if he disappoints with a conservative ending that feels more like a cheap cop out.

• Jun 21, 2015

I've never been big into 'noir'....but this one is the best I've seen. Understated and perfect. I loved every character. As for the ending....I get sick of hearing people say they don't like it; they sound like immature amateurs. The ending made the movie perfect. Turned the focus clearly to where it should be - a character study of whether adding 'spice' into one's life is a good thing or a bad thing. Rather than having the focus be on getting away with murder or some other standard preposterous scenario. Great movie!