Wonder Wheel - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Wonder Wheel Reviews

½ March 20, 2018
It will be hard to find a movie any yaers as bad as Wonder Wheel. At first I thought maybe it was a dark comedy but soon realied it was suppose to be a drama (!(. Did these actors go blindly into this project not knowing what they were getting themselvesinto? Oscr winning Kate Winslet must be still "scratching her head.." Mob wife, father oogling his daughter, a child pyromaniac, wow! The script doesn't make one bit of sense but the cinematography is incredible.
March 17, 2018
Woody Allen having fun with more period settings, this one does a half decent job. There's a few subplots not perfectly explained but altogether it "just" holds itself enough to not completely fall apart.
½ March 16, 2018
A very long 1hr 41m., Wonder Wheel feels stilted and like some awfully pretentious am-dram play, clumsily filmed. Winslet seems to be really trying but god knows what source material she's working with.
½ March 8, 2018
Waste of my money and time
March 7, 2018
I'm going to be a naysayer here and say it's a solid movie. The story, which gives equal parts pity and contempt for the main character, who resides in a world similar to that of Madame bovary and hedda gabler, isn't as solid as i'd like, but the cinematography and acting are too masterful to miss.
March 7, 2018
i thought this was pretty good
½ March 1, 2018
It's gorgeously shot, but at the end of the day, even an all-in Kate Winslet performance can't save this tired, clunky melodrama.
February 26, 2018
#WoodyAllenRetro Podcast Project

Wonder Wheel is a great character drama that can feel more like a television play than a traditional Woody featur film and thats not exactly a bad thing. Stellar performances by Kate Winslet and Jim Belushi. Timberlake has improved since his other... middling performances and Juno Temple is quite good. The story itself is kind of drab and gets a bit more bleak as the movie progresses but again it's all about the performances and character interactions here. The technicolour cinematography is GORGEOUS and brings a new and welcome flair to set this apart from Woody's others. In total this is a GOOD film - it can feel a bit long in the tooth and Timberlake botches his final confrontation scene which is a big shame but the overall drama is pretty well cooked and the ending may leave some feeling miffed and not so chipper but we love it when Woody gives us a more realistic outcome in this genre. We don't think this is as accessible as his others in recent years but it fits right in line with his 80's dramas and we do have a sweet spot for that era in Woody's filmography
½ February 26, 2018
Only watched it for Kate Winslet. While I endured it until the end due to her perfect acting, not even she could rescue this horrendous movie lacking in everything.
February 25, 2018
Scream-filled, Woddy Allen schyzo movie. Need I say more?
½ February 23, 2018
Stilted and wooden, often played as if the characters were reading the script aloud for the very first time ... and yet there is something of a story here, a Southern Gothic if you will but played on New York's dying Coney Island of the 1950's. Strong performances throughout, and I had the feeling that the players literally threw themselves and their trust entirely on writer/director Allen. By the end I realized that most the critics who panned this were wrong. This is a fair work whose drama is like the age it emulates, conflicted, under wraps and straining to be free. I recommend this.
February 23, 2018
Intelligent humor and unsurpassed ease Allen. Café Society was such a half, Manhattan consisted of this completely. Woody's new film has almost lost what I love him for. Like would all as usually, love triangle, thin the irony over own characters and love to locations, but not in basis of all of this lies. Only by allowing you to dream, you immediately get hit on the head and again find yourself on the ground. Wheel of wonders is a tough movie. The problematic part is that there is only one character at the head. My friend, when he saw the film, gave him a short review: "The entire time yelling some woman!". And you can't blame him for saying that. Actors and stunningly beautiful work of the operator and colorist, dilute and hold you. Life is still an amusement Park, but with regards to this movie with a migraine.
February 15, 2018
Whether it is out of boredom or being a Woody Allen die-hard completist, I bite the bullet and stomp up the Euros for his latest film and... wish I hadn't. Once again, Allen regurgitates and revisits stories and themes he has explored in better films before as Wonder Wheel reminds me of Radio Days, Crimes & Misdemeanors and Hannah & Her Sisters; but while he was able to make a few of his recent 're-hashes' interesting if not at least watchable, this underwritten and unengaging mess is about as appealing as week old leftovers. Set in Coney Island in the 1950s, the story of unhappy couple, Ginny and Humpty, the former is having an extramarital affair with lifeguard Mickey and the latter is hiding his daughter from a former marriage from the mobster she married very young, feels like a high schooler imitating Tennesse Williams and it is as clumsy as it is predictable. The characters bumble from one scene to the next in convoluted plotting that it lazily dismisses as fate. I'm not sure if a different cast could have sold it better; but here we have an OTT Jim Belushi and a bland/miscast Justin Timberlake and the result is deadly dull. And who knows if Kate Winslet is doing a bad Blanche Dubois impersonation or just taking the Mickey here (literally) and took the job only to snog Timberlake in multiple scenes. Desperate to find anything redeemable here, the cinematography and production occasionally make the film looks pretty as a seaside postcard, but other times, it just looks cheap and very stagey, leaving us to wonder how a once brilliant filmmaker, known for his verbal dexterity and immensely quotable and amusing dialogue, can lost his magical touch so abominably and ends up with this misconceived turkey.
½ February 11, 2018
Pretty bad. More like stageplay than a movie. Didn't make it more than 30 minutes.
½ February 8, 2018
Wonder Wheel shows jealously in its essence. Kate Winslet gives a performance that's her best since the reader. Jim Belushi also gives a great performance, Carried by permaneces and script the movie captures all the ways nature and love have of finding our weakest spots. The cinematography are also great, the colors showing the characters emotions.
February 5, 2018
Il n'y a rien qui ressemble plus à un film de Woody Allen qu'un film de Woody Allen et Wonder Wheel en est un exemple parfait. En effet, cette comédie noire qui n'aurait pu être écrite que par l'auteur new-yorkais est encore une fois un plaisir pour les oreilles et surtout pour les yeux, grâce à une photographie absolument fabuleuse de Vittorio Storaro. Cependant, l'oeuvre est tellement marquée Woody Allen qu'elle ne peut convaincre que les adeptes de son style et laisse sur le bas-côté les non amateurs. Dommage pour eux, car ils manquent deux superbes performance par Kate Winslet et Justin Timberlake.
February 2, 2018
The dialogue is a bit too heavy-handed and expository, as though Woody Allen was in a hurry to write and publish a theater play in about five days, but the film does have its moments and benefits from a beautiful cinematography and good performances, especially by Kate Winslet.
January 30, 2018
An other "trying too hard, but failing" movie. It has some good parts, some nice shots, some ok acting but a story, it has none. It is an overly artsy movie, playing too much with colours and forgetting what really counts, having a story or an idea and being able to communicate said story, said idea.
½ January 24, 2018
Say what you will about director Woody Allen, but his early filmography is still something to cherish. The numerous films of quality content are remembered and celebrated, but his more recent work has felt much more laid back. Although I haven't seen a great movie from him in a while, aside from maybe Blue Jasmine a few years back, I've always liked his style of storytelling. Wonder Wheel is his latest film and while there are many elements to like about it, it's really not all that great of a film as a whole. Allen has put himself in a spot where he has created acceptable movies for the past decade or so and I don't see him ever digging himself out of that hole. Unless you've been a die-hard fan of Woody Allen from the beginning, I honestly can't get myself to recommend this movie to you, and here's why.

Ginny is married to Humpty, but Ginny likes Mickey, who likes Ginny's daughter Carolina. This situation sends the film on a whirlwind of emotions, but all predictable ones. Wonder Wheel tells this story through an interesting narrative, as Mickey (Justin Timberlake) explains the story directly to the camera, breaking the fourth wall. I've always enjoyed this sort of storytelling, so that aspect of the movie kept winning me over, but it's the rest of the film that just felt fake to me. The uninteresting and cliched romance between the married couple in Ginny (Kate Winslet) and Humpty (Jim Belushi) feels existent so that a falling out can occur later in the movie. For all of its positives, this is a movie that just feels staged throughout every revelation.

Kate Winslet, Jim Belushi, and Justin Timberlake are all serviceable in their respective roles, but they also feel like they're giving just enough of themselves in order to earn a paycheck. Never once did I feel that any of them were giving their all. That being said, I found the standout of the film to be Juno Temple. Playing an innocent girl who just wants to start a life for herself and find love, I found her portrayal of Carolina to be quite inspired. Although she probably has the least amount of screen time, the character of Carolina is who and what I seem to remember most about Wonder Wheel.

Woody Allen writes so many movies, that I feel it's just about his time to retire. Many of his scripts feel very much like his previous ones nowadays, seeming as though his knack has met its peak. Yes, he still remains an extremely talented filmmaker, but his body of work feels more like an assembly line of average products that people may or may not consume each year. I may be alone with that specific sentiment, but it's just my honest opinion. Sometimes filmmakers make their mark and then begin to fade away and I believe that may be happening with Allen.

Looking back on Wonder Wheel, I remember enjoying the visuals and unique way that the cinematography would tell certain portions of the story at times, but the arcs of each character honestly had me bored to death. If I ever recommend this movie to anyone, it's solely going to be on the basis that they've been fans of Allen's direction from the beginning. I can't see many people thoroughly enjoying this film, because its incredibly slow pace definitely shows, even at its fairly short running time of 100 minutes. Overall, Wonder Wheel has enough solid elements to keep it from being a bad film as a whole, but there are too many distracting story points and boring characters to really recommend. This is one of the more disappointing movies of 2017 in my opinion.
January 24, 2018
I found this film very nearby. You can get the headaches which the main character is suffering. Good film at all.