Wonder Wheel - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Wonder Wheel Reviews

August 13, 2018
A little all over the place and not one of Allen's best but the nostalgia plus Winslet's stud performance is worth watching.
August 8, 2018
"When it comes to love we all turn out to be our own worst enemy."
½ July 25, 2018
I kind of liked it. Watching a Woody Allen movie feels like consuming art. Different, but good.
July 17, 2018
Starts out well but then it becomes an hour and a half long argument and the ending tries to hard to be arty.
½ July 11, 2018
Una de las peliculas mas crudas de Allen.
July 10, 2018
Spectacular acting by a stellar cast...not sure why it is rated so poorly. Aside for dis
Ike of Woody Allen for his alleged misdeeds, this film is a perfect tragedy...well done.
½ July 6, 2018
Being a born and bred New Yorker, I have loved Woody Allen's movies all my life. His early movies were funny and self-deprecating, and Woody Allen was charming. I continued to watch his movies as they grew darker and less entertaining. But having watched Wonder Wheel, I've decided never to watch another Woody Allen movie again. Although the scenery and the acting was great, the story and character development left me wondering what Woody Allen's intent was. The movie had no comic relief, was not inspiring or even interesting, and was the most depressing thing I've seen in ages. Then it occurred to me that Woody Allen just seems to be processing his issues with mature women by doing films. Here's another film of a mature woman jealous of her young and beautiful step-daughter, who causes destruction for everyone involved. Kate Blanchette's character in a previous movie was similar. If Woody Allen has issues with mature women he should just journal them, instead of writing a movie and condemning the rest of us to watching it. Or change psychiatrists. The Divine Feminine is back and She no longer has patience for these caricatures. If you want to see a movie about a wicked step-mother, Disney does a much better job.
½ June 22, 2018
It gets more interesting as the film goes on.
Starts pretty boring but if u stick with it it's memorable.
½ June 19, 2018
Very beautifully shot film, it reminded me a little of the reader with Kate Winslet's character falling for a younger man,. I though the whole mobsters arriving to the carnival was a bit silly, but it's a great timeless film with a whole lot of drama.
June 11, 2018
Feels like a play with a lot of dialogue and character development, and not much fun though it is funny at times.
½ June 8, 2018
I should have known better than to watch this emoted downer.
June 8, 2018
Woodrow is a consistent four-star filmmaker, but he really missed the mark with this one. Given all his recent trouble with the #metoo movement, this really doesn't look good for him; Kate Winslet's Ginny is a cold, unsympathetic, uncompromising madwoman. The most sympathetic, moral character is her abusive husband Humpty; not a good time for Allen to share these kinds of complicated character dynamics. On a visual design level, it is among his finest works, only very little character substance to fill in the gorgeously lit space. I'm not exactly sure when shit hit the fan for Allen, but it legitimately looks like he just gave up making it - all along it's building towards Ginny's arc, which we never get. Despite the empathy we sense for an aging woman's sexuality, nothing about her depiction seems very poignant.

It seemed promising at first; a cross war of each other's respective children, Humpty unable to stand her son's mischief, Ginny jealous over his daughter's relationship with the young man she's been having an affair with. But Winslet's ferocity is almost too much at times. At first you want to see her have that arc, but she goes overboard when she makes a key decision later in the film. We get our emotions held up in the belief that she will have that arc, reaching across to her step-daughter with love, protecting her from the danger she's in. But as Mickey's friend says earlier, "you're not dealing with sense, you're dealing with feelings." That's a fact for everyone in the film, no sensibility anywhere. I guess Allen is trying to make a point with that in the 1950s, but something about it just seems too unbelievable.

There is this ridiculous moment when Mickey goes to Ginny at her home, having concluded what happened to her step-daughter by an absurd estimation of facts as if he were TV's OCD detective Monk. He follows this with, "it doesn't take Sherlock Holmes to figure out..." I laughed, thinking, gees, it really kind of does take Holmes to figure that out!

The film ends just as we're anticipating the next act, which never comes.
June 6, 2018
Woody Allen is a genius and this film is one of his best. I was expecting the usual Allen comedy but became so engrossed in the lives of these ordinary people and the choices they made in their lives. Very Tennessee Williams. I really liked it.
½ June 1, 2018
Act One, Scene One: The introduction by the narrator. Act One, Scene Two: The Apartment. This Woody Allen film looks like a play, is played like a play, therefore, it is a play. Sometimes I couldn't tell at times, whether I was on Broadway or sitting on my living room couch. If you like Woody Allen movies, then you'll like this play. If you don't, then pass on this one.
½ June 1, 2018
Can't stand Woody Allen movies. If I had known, I wouldn't have watched it. Also, Kate Winslet is really whiny and annoying.
½ May 31, 2018
Allen, 82, has his ups and downs, and while there have been more downs than ups lately he is always worth the benefit of the doubt. But "Wonder Wheel" is a ride to nowhere.
May 20, 2018
Not even close to being a good movie, yet alone a good Woody Allen movie.
May 19, 2018
less of a film and more of a stage play, woody allen visits familiar territory in this melodramatic drama set in 1950's coney island. And while there is much to like about wonder wheel ultimately the pieces don't all come together. in the end, the take away for most will be be the stand out performance by kate winslet as the not so LIKABLE heroine. But, a much better film than the consensus of most critics.
May 12, 2018
Good cinematography, good performances and underrated.
½ May 4, 2018
An unhappy housewife has an affair with a young educated lifeguard and wants to leave her husband for him. The side story features the husband's daughter who's on the run from the Sopranos.

Pros
- Stylish, colorful, and engaging.
- Acting is all-around good. I enjoyed Belushi the most.

Cons
- Feels like I was teased.
- There's no ending.
- Why Coney Island?

Final Thoughts
It's a Woody Allen movie and it feels like one. He seems to be able to nail down period pieces pretty well. He has a knack for this sort of thing.

I'm sure he chose Coney Island because he has his roots in Brooklyn, but this movie could have taken place anywhere. Coney Island itself doesn't do anything other than look pretty in the background. Remove Coney Island and you have the same story. They could be working in an amusement park in California or Chicago.

This movie is like being served a small dinner in a fancy restaurant. It looks good and tastes good, but there's just not enough on the plate to keep you full, and you're still hungry for more. The visuals will stay with you more than anything else.