Working Man Reviews

• Aug 06, 2020

"Working Man" could not be more relevant to these pandemic times in which we live. A powerfully personal tale of an ordinary man who feels he is totally defined by the job he no longer has after a lifetime of punching a clock. Peter Gerety offers a gritty and emotionally riveting performance as does Talia Shire who plays his supportive and wise wife who challenges him re-discover his identity apart from his work. More than the story of a factory closing, so poignant in these times, the film explores much larger themes of personal fortitude, perseverance, pride in oneself and most especially loyalty and empowering those around us while not allowing our circumstances to overwhelm or define us. "Working Man" is about the triumph of the human spirit during the darkest moments and a tale of personal redemption reminding us that it is never too late in life to make a difference or change the course of one's life. This really is a poignant and meaninful and timeless film with important life lessons for our time.

• Jun 09, 2020

WOW!!! Acting A+, Story A+, Visually A+...for those who truly enjoy Indie style movies, this is a must see! This cast truly gave the audience some of the best acting I've seen to date. I would have enjoyed seeing at the theaters. Billy Brown was the highlight of this movie for me but honestly, all performances were excellent!

• May 30, 2020

This is a beautifully shot movie that seems to capture the feel of Rust Belt America with both empathy and dignity. The performances of Gerety, Brown and Shire bring life to this timely and poignant story.

• May 26, 2020

"Working Man" features the very best acting in my memory. Peter Gerety, aged 80 with a hard beachball belly and 64 films under his belt since 1961, takes the screen away in an understated characterization of a man in trouble. Trying to save him is the charismatically handsome Billy Brown and lovely Talia Shire. This is Baby Boomer 101. What to do when life throws curve balls and there's not much time left to recover?

• May 25, 2020

This movie is expertly scripted and edited. What it leaves unsaid is as important what is said. An impactful story of humble bravery, unexpected friendships and family second chances.

• May 24, 2020

Tremendous performance by Peter Gerety. Solid script and the good news - not a single special effect, gun, space ship or contagion in sight.

• May 19, 2020

Great story with the surprise twist of struggles with mental illness. Peter Gerety was outstanding with his roll.

• May 18, 2020

A moving story about loss, acceptance, and, ultimately, the value of human kindness and connection. Residents of Midwestern industrial towns will recognize so much in the scene and setting. It's an interesting creative risk (in Hollywood) to star an elderly, troubled character as the lead; Peter Gerety's performance as silent, limping Allery Parks—especially in the earlier scenes—is both alarming and stirring. Talia Shire is equally believable as his caring, worried wife. The visual details—from what Allery packs in his lunch box, to his trembling lower lip, to the blankets Iola pulls from the closet in their modest house—create an intimate real-ness. It's a great slice-of-life character study with an (unfortunately) timely topic.

• May 14, 2020

Working Man is a movie that speaks to both our current time and to the heart and soul of what it means to take pride in, and have faith in, what one does for a living. To live is to survive, and vice versa, and this film touches on those themes beautifully. Highly recommend!

• May 13, 2020

Robert Drury's Working Man is an ode to the resilience, dedication, and determination of American workers to find purpose, community, and pride in the ties that bind them - their work, our work. The movie's thematic resonance to today, a moment when essential workers' often overlooked contributions to our daily life and macro-survival are coming to the forefront of cultural conversation, is undeniable.  Drury has assembled a beautiful cast, headed by Peter Gerety as the resplendently laconic Allery, Talia Shire as his multi-valently dutiful wife Iola, and Billy Brown as the spellbindingly troubled Walter.  Drury, as writer and director, has calibrated the narrative pacing of this film perfectly to seduce audiences into thinking they are in for one type of narrative, then gracefully yet arrestingly negating those expectations for an ending that is by turns tragic, affirming, and emotionally fulfilling.