Wuthering Heights - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Wuthering Heights Reviews

April 15, 2016
Beautiful. And one of the best shot films I've seen in years.
March 15, 2016
Wuthering Heights is my favourite novel, one I can read over again and still find new mysteries. I have never been really satisfied by any screen adaptation, though each has its merits. I think this is because a) Film-makers tend to gloss over what is, in fact, a very brutal story; and b) it is such a complex novel, its essence near impossible to pin down. However, when I heard that Andrea Arnold - who directed the brilliant Fish Tank - was to adapt WH, I was excited. And she has not let me down. I don't think this will appeal to more conservative viewers, but I loved its affinity to nature and the raw performances of the stars. This is definitely Heathcliff's story, and sadly doesn't include the latter part of the novel. That is my only disappointment, and not really a criticism because the core of WH is so vividly realised here.
½ March 2, 2016
The single most boring movie I've ever seen in my entire existence. Felt 6 hours long.
How are you supposed to care about a character when they hang puppies every time they're in a bad mood? Why is this even a famous love story? How? There's no love whatsoever. Cathy & Heathcliff are 2 AWFUL hateful abusive psycho sociopaths that are even more evil when they're together.
If you enjoy watching a tree branch hit a window, grey dreary everything, random puppy murder, & CONSTANT wind broken up by 2-3 words maybe every half hour - you're the one weirdo artsy-fartsy a**hole who might like this film.
I'd rather kill myself than watch this ever again. Save yourself the monotonous torture & don't watch it ever.
½ February 10, 2016
I have never seen any version of this. I was not entertained. Dark, wet and dirty. Made not much sense. Wondering why this is a great english novel.... And what was that about torturing litlle dogs?
October 29, 2015
Starts out boring and injects some mild emotion in the third act.
½ October 21, 2015
This version of Wuthering Heights reminds me of the MTV flick of the same name
only in that both have nothing to do with Wuthering Heights.
October 14, 2015
I loved the book and the original film. This is disappointing, badly acted, badly adapted, just plain bad.
½ July 22, 2015
This film is for diehard fans of the novel. If you've read Wuthering Heights several times, if you've studied it, you will appreciate not being tethered to an anxious adaptation of the narrative, one that can never live up to Brontes impeccable sense of framing. Here, Andrea Arnold allows true fans and scholars of the novel to feel the relationships, to be in the atmosphere. The use of revived 18th-century ballads and an historicized view of Romantic-era farm life stand in for whatever liberties Arnold takes with the plot and omissions of dialogue that seem to bother other critics. This one is for you.
July 21, 2015
I really wanted to like this movie but I just couldn't force myself to...:( It was too slow, too violent and too far away from the atmosphere and the real spirit of the book...
June 2, 2015
In what must have been the most difficult film set in the world, Arnold has not only succeeded getting through all that mud but she has also brought classic back to a story that has already seen its fair share of screen adaptations. Bronte would have been proud, this seems rightly real and brutal. It is also definitely a bonus to finally see a director casting non-Caucasian actors to play Heathcliff! That only took dozens of years... Warning: very little dialogue and striking atmospheric visual storytelling may displease slaves to the Hollywood movie machine.
½ May 16, 2015
The essence of the source novel is altered, I would say. This adaption fails to remind me of the ebullient sensation that I experienced when I read the novel. Yet, the movie itself is enjoyable, thanks to its spectacular scenes and vivid performances. The young actors are also charming and impressive. Their spontaneous presentations of their emotion in this film rejuvenates the enduring masterpiece.
½ March 31, 2015
Wuthering Heights, through the tone created, is a very bleak look on love and the places it can push people. Using a slow pace, lighting and colouring of scenes, with very apt and melancholy music, as well as drawn out scarce landscapes, the mood is used to emphasize the doomed nature between Heathcliff and Cathy. As a non-reader of the original classic novel, the movie manages to paint the subtle warfare played between both scorned lovers very well. Both characters manipulate others' to their means against one another, and the actors do a wonderful job combining scorn with love. First time actor James Howson does well in his portrayal, but is out-played by Kaya Scodelario, who arguable performs her best yet. Wuthering Heights is a deliberately bleak look on love, and does it with intrigue.
February 27, 2015
This movie is just a disappointment. If one manages to go through the whole movie - which takes quite some will power - the first thing that will struck is the total lack of passion, which is instead what I thought Wuthering Heights was all about.
Excluding that, the way the story is narrated, with a shaky (like if we are all constantly gallopping) camera, doesn't give justice to the book, neither allow whoever has not read that to understand what everything is about.
It is not just about people necks and backs (yes, we understand the idea is to show reality from Heathcliff's perspective) and not even about a wonderful English moorland, with more mud than one wants to see (yes, it is obvious that Cathy and Heathcliff are earth people), but the silences are just unbearable! Why has the director tried to hard to be original and has not understood what the book is all about? The only remarkable and possibly well placed choice is to have Heathcliff depicted as a black guy: that was a puzzle tile that made sense in the void created by the rest of the movie.
½ February 1, 2015
Missing the second generation story once again, this 2011 adaptation of Wuthering Heights is admirable in the art department and is boldly unique to a tremendous fault
January 23, 2015
Good in that it displays the rough "affection" between Cathy and Heathcliff. Good is you want to feel better about your own family. While Charlotte Brontë's Jane Eyre is an example of forbearing character, overcoming a cruel upbringing, Cathy, while the only Earnshaw to show Heathcliff any sympathy, she is a slave to the cruelty and abuse in her family. Neither her own affection or influence of a cultivated family help improve her. And though Heathcliff had run away from the farm, he couldn't get the farm out of him. Their lives are torment, and the less-wordy film makes you feel it. And the oft-romanticized moors are equally beautiful as they are dangerous.
½ January 14, 2015
meh. good maybe if you've read it or something. beautiful cinematography. terrible... er, script? was there a script?
I'd say if you're interested in a mashup of Tarkovsky, The Lord of the Rings, and National Geographic then this is the movie for you.
December 3, 2014
Over two hours and they only got halfway through the story. Billed on the poster as "an epic tale of love and revenge", this sadly truncated adaptation actually forgets to get around to the "revenge" part, entirely omitting the story of the second generation, Catherine Linton and Hareton Earnshaw. More than anything, this is an epic tale of boredom and completely missing the point of an incredible story. The acting is bad enough, but the cinematography and direction are completely woeful. All but the most masochistic haters of literature should give this one a miss.
November 2, 2014
I can't possibly tell you how profound or beautifully written this Bronte classic is, I'm a bit of a neophyte when it comes to classic literature. I can, however, tell you that this film is beautifully shot an in no way overwrought. For a period flick, we're actually let in on the fun! I just wish it was juicier, given the animal-killing, adulterous, necrophiliac premise.
½ October 26, 2014
Cathy pequeña y Cathy grande no se parecían en nada
½ August 9, 2014
A mais crua e poderosa versão audio-visual da obra clássica de Emily Bronte.