Reviews

• Jan 11, 2022

First Class is the greatest X-Men film for me. Director Matthew Vaughn's superhero sci-fi thriller X-Men: First Class (2011) is a marvelous motion picture that provides origins for several mutants, while demonstrating how Professor X and Magneto's friendship blooms and depicts how their moral ideals fell out in the first place. I loved seeing how Vaughn uses mutant superpowers on full display from Magneto turning a satellite dish to lifting a submarine or Emma Frost and Prof. X warping peoples' minds. Vaughn's hyper kinetic direction and slick comic book style worked miracles for Kick-Ass as well as First Class. I love this movie. First Class balances coming of age drama with Stan Lee's mutant ethical dichotomy as these young adult mutants are choosing their path in life to live amongst humanity living at Charles Xavier's School for Gifted Youngsters or be themselves within Magneto's Brotherhood of Mutants. I love all these intimate moments of self-discovery and revelation with the X-Men's serious dramatic conversations as well as all the exciting action sequences. I really enjoyed Matthew Vaughn Bryan Singer's story using historical context like President John F. Kennedy's speeches and The Cuban Missile Crisis as the backdrop to his groovy 1960's mutant movie. Their social commentary for The Holocaust and gay pride apply beautifully to The X-Men. Writers Matthew Vaughn, Bryan Singer, Jane Goldman, Sheldon Turner, Ashley Edward Miller, and Zack Stentz find the sincere heart of these mutant characters to touch you with raw emotional interactions throughout First Class. James McAvoy is fantastically endearing as Charles Xavier with his charming personality, while contributing a genuine sympathy for Magneto that lets you see how assuring Professor X is as a leader character. McAvoy is charismatic, funny, and considerate with the same kindness and patience that Sir Patrick Stewart brought to his older Xavier. Michael Fassbender is phenomenal as the rage filled Erik Lehnsherr as he experiences all the agony of desiring revenge on the Nazis involved with The Holocaust. You feel every bit of Magneto's fury and independence through Fassbender's commanding presence and assured confidence, yet he also adds nuance to Magneto as he builds control for his powers thanks to his steadfast friendship with Xavier. Jennifer Lawrence is an instant star after Winter's Bone and before The Hunger Games as her conflicted Raven Darkholme lets you feel why Mystique hates humanity and appreciates her natural blue form. Lawrence is emotionally raw and real in every single scene here. She's beautiful, tough, sincere, and vulnerable as an excellent foil for Xavier's arrogance and oversight, like how Magneto sees the world differently. X-Men: First Class is very much about separate perspectives. Rose Bryne is adorable, funny, cool, and moving as Professor X's love interest and CIA agent Moira MacTaggert. Kevin Bacon is a fearsome villain as Sebastian Shaw or Black King with his eerie manner of speech and scary persona. January Jones is drop dead gorgeous as Emma Frost or White Queen with her icy personality, piercing gaze, total confidence in her awesome psychic prowess, and effortless grace. I still wish we got an Emma Frost film starring January Jones as I love her as Frost. She's wonderful. Jason Flemyng is unrecognizable as Azazel, the teleporting red demon mutant. He's ferocious and as cool as Alan Cumming's Nightcrawler from X2 since you can see how lethal his mutation can be in the hands of evil. Álex González is pretty neat as Riptide with his cyclone summoning skills. I like to think Michael Ironside's cameo was because he was the villain telepath in David Cronenberg's Scanners back in 1981. Hugh Jackman's cameo as Wolverine is hilarious and fits Logan's loner attitude. Rebecca Romijn's cameo as Mystique is sultry and playful. Nicholas Hoult is outstanding as the sincere scientist Hank McCoy, who captures Beast's insecurities over his appearance. Zoë Kravitz is alluring as Angel Salvadore and interesting with her flying abilities as Tempest and frustrations with humanity's judgemental hatred of mutants. Lucas Till is engaging as Alex Summers with his devastating laser rings as Havok. Caleb Landry Jones is funny as Sean Cassidy or Banshee. Edi Gathegi is likable as Darwin, but they really should have given him more to do honestly. Oliver Platt is funny and likable as CIA Man in Black Suit with his eager appreciation for mutants. Editors Lee Smith and Eddie Hamiltons bring sharp cuts and a fast pace for First Class' 132 minutes that feels half that length. Cinematographer John Mathieson always frames faces in close-up for the emotional moments for a real connection between these fantasy characters and the audience. I love the smooth look to the panning wide shots as each scene breathes naturally without the rapid fire cuts many modern movies employ to hold your attention with gentle movements. Visual effects artists John Dykstra, Guy Williams, Denise Davis, and Sachin Bangera's CGI looks incredible for First Class. I love the look of Emma Frost effortlessly turning into shining diamonds, the warping camera effect for mind manipulation, Magneto's writhing metal bending, Azazel's reddish black teleportation plumes, to the fearsome explosions from Kevin Bacon. Production designer Chris Seagers recreates Xavier's mansion with a wealthy splendor and warmth, while creating a CIA headquarters for the mutants that's sleek and got that cold government polish. Set decorators Sonja Klaus and Erin Boyd bring playful 60's furniture and props to all the sets for a realistic retro look to First Class that is certainly colorful. Art directors Adam O'Neill, Alan Gilmore, John King, Marc Fisichella, John Frankish, Dawn Swiderski, Grant Armstrong, James Hambidge, Steve Cooper, Paul Booth, Alex Cameron, Tom Frohling, Marc Homes, Joe Howard, Sue Whitaker, and Chris Cleek choose warm oranges and browns for the 60's aesthetic, while providing bursts of blue, yellow, red, and white for the mutant palettes. I am so impressed with the CGI and practical effects for Mystique, Beast, and Azazel, let alone Emma Frost's abilities. Composer Henry Jackman's score sweeps above the fray with epic intensity and thoughtful melodies for the drama. Jackman provides First Class with a sense of grandeur and heartfelt feeling. Costume designers Sammy Sheldon, Nicole Young, Wendy M. Craig, Stephanie Paul, Bruno de Santa, Risa Garcia, and Miloslav Skorepa's outfit choices are brilliant. From returning to the comic book purity of yellow X-Men suits with blue limbs and black lining. I loved all of January Jones' sterling white costumes as Emma Frost. In the end, First Class gifts us with glorious mutant superpowers and intimately sensitive mutant drama with equal grace and gripping entertainment. First Class remains the prestige picture of The X-Men series.

• Jan 09, 2022

Best x-men movie in my opinion.

Best x-men movie in my opinion.

• Jan 04, 2022

Esta película es buena; Pero me parece que uno de los principales errores de esta película fue, que se sienten muchos vacíos en la trama. Como si le quitaran escenas para que durara 2 horas. Y se nota bastante en como va evolucionando la película, Mostrándote los acontecimientos muy rápido y muchas veces sin una real explicación. No dejándote realmente empatizar o conocer a los personajes, mostrándotelos, pero la mayoría con un desarrollo muy pobre. Otra cosa que no me gustó de la película fue como mostraron su mensaje, Mostrándotelo sin sutilidad y en demasiadas escenas, que algunas si aportan para la trama pero muchas otras no, haciendo en muchos momentos muy repetitivo el mismo, y quitándole impacto. Me parece que los efectos especiales se ven muy deteriorados al día de hoy y en comparación con películas que salieron el mismo año o antes, a la película no la a tratado bien el tiempo. Pero me parece que esta es una película entretenida, una película en la que te la vas a pasar bien, y mas si ya conoces a los personajes, ya que la película no te los presenta de la manera adecuada. Una buena opción si te gusta el cine de superhéroes.

• Dec 24, 2021

Great cast and sets up what's to come for these versions/actors of the characters make this a fun watch.

• Dec 23, 2021

Great script, great characters and a great direction.

Great script, great characters and a great direction.

• Dec 22, 2021

Some good characters but just ended up being pretty boring

Some good characters but just ended up being pretty boring

• Dec 15, 2021

Michael Fassbender as Magneto was freaking awesome. He had the best character arc and was one of the best things about the movie! Many of the superhero action sequences were neat as well and I did like the human/mutant debate and how that manifested throughout the film, along with the philosophy of embracing one's mutant identity. Good moments and a good superhero film, with a good cameo appearance as well!!

• Dec 01, 2021

A strong script and direction and powerful performances from an excellent cast. The film is swift, sleek, and coherent and the visual effects are smooth and imaginative. The script is smart with a multilayered them and doesn't lose site of the ultimate story.

• Nov 20, 2021

A BIG improvement after what went down with Last Stand. 4/5

A BIG improvement after what went down with Last Stand. 4/5

• Nov 19, 2021

It can have cheesy acting and line delivery, but it's sure a fun time.

It can have cheesy acting and line delivery, but it's sure a fun time.