Youth in Oregon Reviews

• Jun 05, 2018

I really enjoyed this move. The acting, especially Frank Langella, was superb. The story was a raw, truthful look at end of life decisions - how end of life affects the individual and their families. Really makes you think about things you might not want to think about. But well done.

• Dec 07, 2017

The entire film relies on its concept of a man waiting to die for all its emotional weight single-handedly and it's too surfaced and straightforward, including mostly clunky and one-dimensional performances besides Langella who's terrifically subtle but trapped in a bad screenplay.

• Sep 08, 2017

A movie everyone should see. True scene after true scene of people in denial living the way Americans live.

• Sep 07, 2017

The dramedy benefits and drives reliably from the relatable familial dynamics it stems on, as well an outlook on life's supposed instinctive finish tried to be expressed through a letdown, melodramatic atmosphere and pessimistic truth. The thorough progress of the plot brought out really good performances from the cast to show heart and emotions, along with some brief tonal family sitcom. (B) (Full review TBD)

• Jun 07, 2017

There's an easier way to do this. So this is about a husband (Bill Crudup). When his live-in father-in-law (Frank Langella) decides that he is a burden on the family and no longer wishes to live on this Earth, it is time for a cross country road trip to Oregon where apparently assisted euthanasia is legal. This is a quirky little indie movie that I stumbled upon, and I still have conflicting thoughts on how I feel about it. It's a very odd subject matter to try and build a comedy around, and as you can probably imagine, this leads to some uneven tonal shifts as the story unfolds. Overall, this ended up faltering more often than not because it is a comedy that just isn't all that funny. Now the one saving grace to this movie is that the acting is all quality. The cast to this range from proven to legendary actors, like Crudup and Langella. I've been a big fan of Langella for some time now, and he does very well at playing a curmudgeonly old man as you can probably imagine. I liked Crudup's performance even though I didn't care much for how he was written; there is only so much you can watch a character get walked on before you reach a point of disconnect. You know what movie did this better? Little Miss Sunshine. This movie wants to be Little Miss Sunshine so badly because at its core, this is still a road trip movie, and it has the trappings that you always find in a road trip movie. You have characters that don't get along with each other, you have inappropriate interactions in a public restaurant, and you even have an accidental drug trip. You've seen this movie before, but you haven't seen it with such a dark subject matter. Where I think this movie starts to fall apart is the premise itself. If you really want to kill yourself, you don't need to drive to Oregon to do it. It really isn't that hard for a person with the capacity for thought to figure out a means, and it is a hard fact to look past if you are going to buy into the entire foundation on which this story is built. The only thing I really liked about this was the acting, but that can only go so far.

• May 05, 2017

Meh. I felt that everyone except Frank Langella were way too subtle for the subject matter.

• Apr 23, 2017

Exquisite script and magnificent acting. Be prepared to think about your own life, death, and family responsibilities

• Mar 01, 2017

A wonderfully emotional ride as an elderly man makes his son-in-law drive him to Oregon so he may 'die with dignity'. Langella, Place, Crudup, and Applegate bring top notch performances.

• Feb 06, 2017

Trodde den skulle være koselig, men var så trist.

Trodde den skulle være koselig, men var så trist.

• Jan 14, 2017

Heavy subject matter about an 80 year old trying too die with dignity. The script felt sloppy. The parrell between generations were too far and disconnected of any feeling. I probably would not of watched this if it wasn't a free Amazon prime movie.