Zodiac Reviews

• Aug 03, 2020

Why did he go into the guy's house? I wonder if that really happened. If so, stupid move. (Ps that is not a spoiler- trust me). One annoying thing- I had to watch it with subtitles because I couldn't hear the dialogue through so much of it. Not sure if it was that the background noise was too loud or the actors were muttering, but it was frustrating.

• Jul 23, 2020

Following a huge amount of information throughout a wide range of years could potentially lead to uneven storytelling, but being incredibly accurate, meticulously directed and helped by three lively performances ZODIAC has to rank among the best thrillers

• Jul 13, 2020

This was such a fun movie! It's got a really long runtime so I expected it to drag on, but it's actually paced quite well and kept my interest throughout. It does a wonderful just of keeping you guessing, and just when you think you've started to figure it out, and twists around and throws you in a new direction. The acting is wonderful and Jake Gyllenhaal and Robert Downey Jr. were perfect for their roles. I'm thankful that it doesn't get bogged down with too much personal drama, so the focus stays mostly on the mystery at hand. Don't let the runtime intimidate you - this movie is intriguing and exciting throughout!

• Jul 11, 2020

The genius of Fincher once again shines through in this captivating thriller. Scattered with ups and downs of pace and tension, this film captures exactly the pace of a real-life investigation - everything is always changing. The cinematography is a standout in this film and the hidden details of Fincher's genius shine through in almost every aspect of every frame of the film. Coupled with his signature grading and some captivating audio, this film is strong across the board.

• Jul 08, 2020

Seen this before but always get it mixed up with Summer of Sam(1999) when trying to recall it. Maybe the most fascinating serial killer case in history, things move quickly as the movie tries to gain it's footing but once it does it gets quite interesting. I have my own theories regarding serial killers and this one is no different but that doesn't effect my opinion of the movie. 3 of 5

• Jun 24, 2020

Atmospheric and extremely well acted. This is one of the best hunt for a serial killer films of all time.

• Jun 18, 2020

An underrated movie that everyone should watch

An underrated movie that everyone should watch

• Jun 18, 2020

I think this movie is great, because it kind of subverts the genre, but you also know the killer will never get caught which is interesting. What's good is that the performances by the three leads are amazing. They all perfectly showcase how obsession can drive a person to their breaking point. What I also love is that the themes of the movie aren't very powerful, but they are real life things that EVERYONE deals with everyday. Not to mention it is amazingly shot and very well written. Although the movie does have some pacing problems and it kind of jumps in time too much, it's still a great watch. It deserves a 94%.

• Jun 16, 2020

I had first viewed Zodiac a few years back and had I rated it then, it probably would've been in the high-90s — this may be unfair compared to, say, Prisoners (also Fincher) which I first viewed after starting this blog. But hey, sometimes there is magic that comes with first experiencing a film that's absent on all subsequent viewings. This time around, I watched with a more critical eye (and a couple of aquavelvas) and still give the film a (90), a 5-star score. There's a style to a Fincher movie and I felt some of the scene cuts and the color palate were identical to Gone Girl. It also has to be one of the fastest 157 minutes you'll ever watch, switching storylines between Robert Graysmith (Jake Gyllenhaal), Insp. Dave Toschi (Mark Ruffalo), and the Zodiac murders themselves. As the most recognizable unsolved murder outside of Jack the Ripper, probably, the movie wasn't going to draw its own conclusions (at least nothing that isn't in the real Robert Graysmith's book) or create a Tarantino-like alternate history ending, and still keeps you hooked throughout. Gyllenhaal as Graysmith is the cartoonist who slowly pulls at the strings of the killer until he is enveloped in evidence and research, leaving his family broken. John Carroll Lynch as Arthur Leigh Allen, or the Zodiac Killer! (prove me wrong) is calculating and imposing, a perfect fit. Also, need to give credit to Robert Downey Jr. as Paul Avery who rounds out my favorite scene in the bar with Graysmith, empty aquavelva glasses covering the table and snorting cocaine in the booth. Lastly, need to discuss the "basement scene," which during the first viewing is probably the most anxiety-inducing of the film, but after mulling it over (and after listening to the discussion on the LCB podcast), it doesn't really make much sense and is included to put our protag in "real" danger. Oh well. Zodiac is not just a must-watch for true crime fans but for pretty much anyone.

• Jun 13, 2020

pretty tepid given the star power. Neither a compelling police procederial or psychological study of those pursuing the killer. Works as "periods" piece for the Bay Area. Not bad but not much here.