Barbarians: Season 1 Reviews

• Apr 18, 2021

"Barbarians" or Roman Empire vs Germania – a whacky take on history by Netflix The Roman Empire is to this day regarded as the greatest military rule to ever happen upon this earth. Stretching over 5 million square kilometers at the peak of its existence. It was a terrifying machine, and it would demolish anything that came into its path. However, once they marched in the dreary lands of Germania; the Roman Empire found itself at the tip of a spike so sharp that it would forever mark Germania's name in every history book. Netflix's brand new Historical epic ‘Barbarians' focuses on this particular time in history. The time it chooses to showcase is an incredible moment in history, and while the series does manage to reach a decent standard. It pales in comparison to other series which follow the same design such as Vikings and The Last Kingdom. Which simply surpass Barbarians in the sheer scope and size of the world and its storytelling. The claustrophobic design of the terrifying Teutoburg Forest does an incredible job of making up for the lack of set variation that this series has. This location and the brilliant set for it could have been a huge catalyst for some of the deepest, most engaging storytelling and battle sequences that would have aired on TV yet. However, the direction is severely lacking and the set is underutilized when it comes to actual storytelling, yet the battle you expect is just as visceral and breathtaking as you would have imagined. The show has somewhat of a whacky take on its history though. I assume the folklore was the main focus of where they got their inspirations from, but their portrayal of these characters and them making love to the howling of the wolves was super-cheesy. While the series might be cheesy at times, the brutality here is anything but. The show bullseyes every trope in shows such as this one: The abundance of sex and violence, history baked in magical realism, dark atmosphere of the warzones, haunting character moments, self-righteous oppressors and well realized characters. It's incredibly well executed in such ways. However, the series' incredible set design serviced by ORIGO Film Group in Hungary has not been used to its maximum potential. Perhaps because of budgetary reasons, I assume. There is also a somewhat otherworldly supernatural/seer element in this series which wasn't expanded on much, though it might be left out to give the second season which has already been renewed a bit more kick. Arminius is the prince of the Cherusci tribe. Arminius and his brother Flavius are given to the Roman Empire as hostages to secure peace. Played by the amazing Austrian actor Laurence Rupp, Arminius' character shines in the series as he gets some of the most interesting moments of self-reflection and realization. Arminius' inner-conflict on whether to stay loyal to his adopted father Varus of Rome who helped in finding a purpose or to give in to his inner desire of fighting for Germania and fend off the Roman invaders is the main plot-line in the series. Thusnelda is the series most dominant personality. Played by the incredibly Jeanne Goursaud of Germany. She brings to life Thusnelda's character with an ominous personality and human mindset. She breaks free of her father and vows to secure powerful alliances to aid her in defending her country. The rest of the characters in the series, from Wolfspeer played by young German talent David Schütter spearheads the series' side role from great acting to just looking like someone from Norse mythology. The cast is a well-rounded selection of great talent, who all play their roles with respect and determination. From the moment the series begins, all I was waiting for was the actual battle. The development up until that point wasn't too deep because of the six-episode format. However, the Battle of Teutoburg Forest was one to behold. The design of the forest was so claustrophobic and realized, Mónika Esztán (Supervising Art Director) and Lea Walloschke (Art Director) at the art department did a spectacular job with it. Despite the story being lackluster, this final battle was all worth it. The series ends on a quite decent enough note, with a lot of the sub-plots and stories tied up quite neatly. However, the second season is definitely happening, in fact it has already been renewed and confirmed. All in all, it's not the most historically accurate nor the most well written Historical Epic series out there. However, Barbarians at its best is an exciting, engaging trek through the Germanic marshlands of brutality, brooding atmosphere and dark political agendas. Everything in the series is viscerally realized and brought onto the screen, hopefully the second season improves on the clichéd storytelling and we could have something incredibly entertaining to watch for the next few years.

• Feb 22, 2021

Outstanding series! Almost as good as Spartacus. Very original.

Outstanding series! Almost as good as Spartacus. Very original.

• Jan 10, 2021

full of drama and characters that are not interesting, the main plot should be Arminius organising the Germanic uprising, instead there is women falling in love etc, waste of time

• Jan 03, 2021

This is the first time I feel a show treats me like a low intelligence being. Even though it has a great production, sets and performance, the plot and characters are flat out stupid and make no sense. The protagonists are selfish, borderline moronic and yet the show and rest of the characters treat it like the most normal thinh in the world. For some reason some person somewhere, thought that selfishness and childhoodness is the same as heroism. This is the first time I feel angered with a show as it's treats all these things as normal, serves it as heroic and expects me to accept it, maybe even say "hoorah". Well no! The show is stupid.

• Jan 02, 2021

Interesting take on a well known battle in German history. A few artistic liberties were taken to make the story a little more dramatic, but I still enjoyed it immensely. Watching it in German and traditional Latin really set the mood. I recommend to all who like history.

• Dec 25, 2020

Binged the show in one day, I really liked it!!! I'd say it's not a drama but a thriller...

• Dec 15, 2020

Weak story line, flat attempts at humor, poorly related storylines to link characters, unnecessary antics and boring when compared to the last three seasons. I was disappointed.

• Dec 04, 2020

Very good season! Waiting for 2nd!

Very good season! Waiting for 2nd!

• Dec 01, 2020

This move was awesome. Watch it you will not regret it. It Game of Thrones Rome Version.

• Nov 17, 2020

I started watching with very low expectations but was quickly convinced after the first episode. Good storytelling, great characters and good acting. Music is stellar too. Definitely entertaining and worth while.