Gunpowder: Miniseries Reviews

• Apr 04, 2019

I think this show is so bad in so many ways, I was really surprised reading previous reviews. "Deadly boring" is probably its biggest problem, but I've seen high school plays that seemed like a professional production in comparison. I don't know how small their budget is, but some constumes look like they are Halloween store quality, and scenography can be almost comical - like 3 chairs set up in front of a red curtain hanging on a pole. Why actors are talking to each other facing forward, as they are on the theater stage, instead of facing each other? I suspect the hat this show will be the end of Kit's heart rob status, as he looks about 4ft tall in every shot. I know that he is very small (I've seen him in person and there is no way his bio information is accurate- he's 5'6 at best), but that's something that was skillfully disguised for the most part in the GOT. If you're watching it because you miss Jon Snow, you won't be disappointed- he brings back his signature glossy eyes and "something smells bad" frown so you can indulge in it in every single scene.

• Apr 25, 2018

it was drag to pull it through 3 episodes with no episode really begging me to finish and go on to the next. some parts just had me preferring to browse on my phone than pay attention. in the end, it was a story about unprepared, unsuccessful misfits having no consequence on the course of history.

• Feb 02, 2018

Very few historical dramas are done as I think they should be, but Gunpowder just nailed it. In terms of how it played on screen, I deeply appreciated the writing and presentation of the story. The violence was as harsh as it needed to be (it depicted real stories and common forms of torture for the time period), but no harsher (they could have justified putting more brutal violence, but they didn't, because it wasn't necessary. They weren't just having fun filming torture scenes). Where it goes above and beyond though, is historical accuracy. The depictions of all of the major characters and players were spot on. Cecil, James, Catesby, Thomas Percy, and of course Guy Fawkes. I've never seen a show that did a better job of bringing real people to life. I mean it, never. Also, there are parts of the Gunpowder Plot which remain somewhat subject to interpretation, like the Earl of Northumberland's level of involvement. The show was written with enough of an eye to history that they offered an extremely likely interpretation of those aspects of the story. Plus, they got some of the details that could have been missed, things like Thomas Percy and Robert Catesby being killed by the same musket ball. Plus, they managed to depict the politics of the time, without losing focus on the Plot itself. As a history buff, I am just in awe of how well this series was done. After watching one historical drama after another fall flat, or fail to capture the spirit of the time, this is one that went above and beyond anything I could have hoped for.

• Jan 05, 2018

Historically accurate in its graphic depiction of 17th Century religious persecution, thoughtfully woven with its tense, well-paced cat-and-mouse game. The heart of the series is Anne Vaux, the only grounded person in the midst of the fanatical heretics. Mark Gatiss is splendidly cold and calculating in his efforts to stop Catesby and his loyal henchman is darkly brilliant. Kit Harington himself brings a desperation and a sense of death-worship in his martyrdom. He wants to die, he knows he's going to die, and wants to go out with a bang. But despite that, one can't help to root for him...almost. Tom Cullen brings to life Guy Fawkes as a man of action, not words. Though one wishes there would've been more time to flesh out the relationships especially that of Catesby and his son, a solid, well-played out drama about a poignant piece of dark history.

• Dec 28, 2017

The first 30 minutes are "people trying to find other people hiding in a room." 30 minutes. I'm surprised a anyone who makes it passed even that.

• Dec 27, 2017

it's beautiful, but it's all style no substance

it's beautiful, but it's all style no substance

• Dec 26, 2017

Cinematography is pretty good for a 3 episode mini series. Well paced & well cast. The dialogue is choppy and you never love any of the characters, even though you can tell they want you to love it. The show comes close to delivering... but this one disappoints. Still worth watching. Biggest problem is the scripts.

• Dec 22, 2017

Excellent acting, fine script.

Excellent acting, fine script.

• Dec 21, 2017

This could just as well as been a movie about Sunni fighting Shia. Religion is the culprit of MOST warfare and death in our world, and this movie just shows how stupid people are that believe in religion, and even worse that believe in THEIR sect so much that they would kill and die for it. When will humanity evolve out of superstition and naivitee into dealing with the world based on fact? Good acting, but they were all idiots.

• Dec 20, 2017

This rather interesting view on what inspired a national and somewhat global holiday offers compelling performances by Kit Harrington and Mark Gatiss.