Locke & Key: Season 1 Reviews

• 8h ago

I am only on episode 5 and... I don't know if I can go on. This show is just awful. There are so many good things about it. The concept is fun, and creative. The mystery is intriguing. But as to whether these amazing traits can overcome the absolute trainwreck that is the characters? Here, halfway through the series, my definitive feeling is that the characters are so horrible that no. Nothing can save this series. The ridiculous choices I can forgive. It's a mystery, and if the characters need to behave in a certain way to have the plot move forward - so be it. But when I get to a point where I want the characters to suffer, and I believe that they deserve every last horrible thing that comes to them? You cant have a heroine who is supposed to be likable and whom we are supposed to be cheering for who is the most detestable, horrendous, unlikable wretch that I have ever seen a director attempt to pass off as a teenager. The piece of dog shit who made a wish on a star to be a real barbie is named Kensie Locke. From the get-go, she is selfish, self-centered, and annoying. She preaches at her siblings what is right from wrong while also acting only in her self interest. This all becomes egregiously worse after about episode three, when there is a severe shift in her character. At this point, She becomes an utter sociopath who acts purely in her self interest. Everything that is horrible happens as a direct relation to her actions and quite frankly if she is not on the floor bleeding out by the end of the series I will be immensely disappointed. This girl knows that her younger brother was attacked and feels in danger that he is being hunted by a very real figure who attempts to burn her family alive and threatens her little brother alone? Her reaction is to continue to act selfishly, to physically control and humiliate a girl whose only actions until that point have been some shitty verbal harassment. She ignores her younger brother and treats him like absolute crap while she galavants around rebelling in a power she wouldn't even have if not for him. She introduces outsiders without telling her family who will be endangered by her actions. She believes she can behave however she wants because the big bad can't kill them while failing to realize that everyone around her can be tortured and maimed towards that end. I CANNOT STRESS HOW BAD THE CHARACTER WRITING IS IN THIS SHOW. It is so painful, it absolutely writes over all the wonderful parts of this show. There is some real potential here, which is why the way all the other aspects were handled is so disappointing. Shame on the director. Shame on the writers. And Kinsey, go shove a key up your ass and unlock your true potential.

• 10h ago

Absolutely loved it. Binge watched in 3 days and can't wait for a second season!

• 15h ago

Very intriguing, keeps you wondering what are the secrets of the keys

Very intriguing, keeps you wondering what are the secrets of the keys

• 20h ago

Thrilling! Petrice Jones is great as Scot.

Thrilling! Petrice Jones is great as Scot.

• 23h ago

Based on the comic by Joe Hill, Locke & Key is about the Locke family who move into their father's old family home after his murder. The three kids begin to discover magical keys hidden within the house. I rather liked this one. This show is sorta a teenage-oriented dark fantasy. Light and dark are interestingly combined. The Locke siblings have a good time with the keys, which present a series of fun, fantastic moments. However, the threat in this is serious and there are some striking moments of darkness. I think this works pretty well, but there are a couple moments where the lighter parts feel too light. Specifically, the youngest son Bode (Jackson Robert Scott) feels like the writers were trying too hard to make him sound precocious. The characters' personal conflicts and relationships are well handled. I'm pleased that the non-fantasy elements of this show didn't lose my interest. There are a lot of supporting characters in this and they all gel. I thought the acting was decent with the exception of Darby Stanchfield as the mom. Her facial expressions and vocal tones often don't match the situation. As for the visuals, the house looks good. The magical moments really pop. However, I wasn't a fan of the grayish lighting for this. The opening credits also look pretty nice and I was disappointed they got shortened within a few episodes. Overall, this was a nice surprise. Although, I'd say this was a give-it-a-shot-if-you-have-the-time-show, not a see-immediately show.

• 1d ago

Bastante bien e interesante, aunque a veces se coloca lenta...

Bastante bien e interesante, aunque a veces se coloca lenta...

• 1d ago

Do you enjoy watching people constantly do illogical and idiotic things and not ask the basic questions, such as "where is her crown she had on a minute ago?" Or, "If this demon thing wants the key to open this demon door, should we really take its knocked out body there and open it?" Or even, "does random character need the key to go retrieve an object at her house? Maybe after losing all our keys earlier, we should just hold on to them." Well here's a show for you. There's only so much idiotic actions one can take from the characters, just for plot development before it becomes just plain infuriating. And don't get me started on the mother.

• 1d ago

Absolutely amazing! Dark and mysterious with lots left to explain and explore. The world building and story& plot development is excellent with lots of room to explore the characters in greater depth. I await the new season as a child awaits Christmas in December.

So good, a must watch!