Perry Mason: Season 1 Reviews

• 2d ago

Perry Mason by HBO is a noir style detective story but it seems to be missing something or just feels too ordinary. At times it is too clean for that period of time during the era of the Great Depression. The church looks like a converted gymnasium that just doesn't quite fit. The actors are well cast but the direction lacks the stylized dialog of that time period including the wardrobe & furnishings. It lacks the polish of Amazon's Mrs. Maisel or a cohesive style like Mrs. Maisel. Could you imagine Spencer Tracy, Clark Gable, Leslie Howard, William Powell, James Cagney, Gary Cooper or Cary Grant on this set & each of these actors had a definitive style as actors from the 30's. What I don't understand is how this is based on the books by Gardner. How does this lead Perry to law school & passing the bar to becoming the great attorney. He doesn't show a hint of his brilliance in his early days as a Detective. The series is an interesting approach but I feel like it is still trying to figure out who Perry Mason is. I actually liked his powerful presence in the books, and perhaps I feel he is missing this charisma in this new series. How did they decide to make the ransom $100,000 in the era of The Great Depression? Even people with money suffered losses during that time. Interesting to watch but very different than the books.

• 3d ago

Put aside any preconceived ideas of the polished attorney from Los Angeles that we all grew up with and this series stands alone as a dark, film noire gem. The ensemble cast led by Matthew Rhys and Tatiana Maslany shines in this dark, morally ambiguous retelling of a classic. Enjoy!

• 3d ago

I'm watching this bec it is set in a different period and an uncommon one -- in the 1930s. I primarily want to forget the present -- our covid present. Also I love LA. This is set in Los Angeles. So far, I've watched 3 episodes.

• 5d ago

Perry Mason's unabashedly violent, noir setting along with Matthew Rhys' stellar performance creates an engrossing story that keeps one on the edge of their seat.

• 6d ago

Oh, this is bad. I've seen paint dry faster. This is not your mother's Perry Mason. That's okay, but then don't call it Perry Mason. Typically graphic HBO stuff and like most of their shows, they are slow, too long and ultimately so boring, you don't really pay much attention, if you watch it at all. Matthew Rhys is fine and does what he's asked to do and you can tell they spent a small fortune on the sets, lighting and atmosphere and it's worth a peek, just for that. But, it's so slow, your mind wanders and when you re-focus, you haven't really missed anything. I expected better from a show called 'Perry Mason'.

• 6d ago

#perrymasonhbo is a must-see. What a great cast and a superb story. #HBO #whatonwhatsgood http://whatonwhatsgood.com

• 6d ago

Just good TV. Good writing, good acting, excellent directing, the right balance of action and pathos. Waaay better than I expected.

• 6d ago

This is no comparison to the real Perry Mason and I'm not sure why it's even named after that great series except to get viewers.

• Jul 05, 2020

The representation of Sister Aimee McPherson is spot on, as is the little vignette of Roscoe "Fatty" Arbuckle in the first episode. The production values are extravagant.

• Jul 03, 2020

The first episode leaves very little to get excited for, but visually it's great. We'll see how it goes, but for now it's only ok.