Ray Donovan: Season 1 Reviews

• Nov 22, 2019

The TOP CRITICS got it right this time around! Great show.

The TOP CRITICS got it right this time around! Great show.

• Oct 13, 2019

Best show ever to be honest that won't bore you because the family sticks together through the thickest moments and the scenes are filled with real life stuff, bad ass stuff, and that tells a story that is more than just a show. Worth your binge indulgence and forward vote to keep this show going!

• Apr 02, 2019

I love this show. The acting is superb and you will get really invested in the characters and the story. Highly recommend!

• Oct 09, 2018

Liev Schreiber does a good job in the role and makes you feel like he will "take care of it". Season one is full of interesting plots.

• Sep 14, 2017

Season 1: 7.5/10 The first season of Ray Donovan is supposed to be a crime drama, but couldn't help becoming a melancholic Shakespearean tragedy. Casting-wise, this show excels, despite being too overcrowded with characters and subplots of subplots. Each scene is pretty explosive and entertaining on its own, but is everyone necessary and vital for the progress of the plot? Most of the time the answer is a massive "No". But do I regret watching Jon Voight enjoying the living crap out of himself in a gay club? Most of the time the answer is a massive "Yes". So in general the season is both guilty and not guilty for its shenanigans,just like its characters.The motif of sinning and forgiving is fundamental to the series, with the little brother Bunchy Donovan (masterfully played by Dash Mihok) lying at the core of the conflict. As I already said, individually every character shines in their individual scenes, but few of them contribute to the story. Well, except a "son" character with questionable sexual orientation, he might as well not exist. The Donovans is spectacular, Ray's co-workers are campy badasses and Jon Voight basically chews your TV screen. The family is alright enough, it does the job to judge the main character for his every step. The second act really picks up when a guest, legendary old school actor joins the cast, unfortunately the ending fizzles out too quickly . What I hope happens with this show is that it stops taking itself so overly serious and starts contributing more screen time for its hilarious black humor. Some episodes you feel the struggle in the journey of self-discovery and I have faith that in Season 2, the series will find its groove. Conclusion: The first season of Ray Donovan is a fun, over-the-top melanchonic journey of self-discovery for both the show and its characters, with tones shifting left and right. Worth watching for the outstanding performances and a terrific cast. And possibly Jon Voight alone.

• Aug 27, 2017

Retrospective scenes are getting old and Ray is exceptionally weird this season while coping with Abby's death. Was a big fan until this season.

• Aug 15, 2017

After being told how amazing this show was, I eagerly watched the first episode and then watched 3 more episodes hoping it would get better. I can't believe people think this is a good show - over acted, ridiculous and completely unbelievable characters, horrible bahstan accents, awful plot, hmm, there's some nudity, so i guess that's at least a plus. Someone please tell me what I'm missing here? Does this show magically get better?

• Mar 09, 2017

TONS OF ACTION! Great characters and cool setting. Definitely worth checking out ??

• Jun 09, 2016

Fantastic acting and a great plot

Fantastic acting and a great plot

• Mar 14, 2016

With all its cliche flaws its pretty fun to watch. Nothing deep and meaningful, but its what it is: entertaining. A rather disfunctional family with Boston origins, bringing its past into the muddy LA world of crime.