Permanent Vacation - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Permanent Vacation Reviews

½ September 12, 2015
A dreary drifter flick with glimpses of effortless cool and dry comic triumph. But, ultimately, this is covered with the fingerprints of a rookie.
February 1, 2015
A brilliant visceral depiction of abandoned New York City through the eyes of a distant drifter. The beginning of the Jarmusch style and a landmark of indie film in the 80s
½ January 15, 2015
Permanent Vacation is a moody slice of life that engages male ennui in a way that feels fresh and unexplored given when it was made. In his first film Mr. Jarmusch establishes what he's all about and challenges the viewer to come along for the ride.
October 24, 2014
What. Rubbish film. Haven't watched anythin
g so boring in many years!!!!
July 16, 2014
Interesting little indie art movie about a young guy who lives as a drifter in the slums of New York. The whole movie is just him wandering around and coming into contact with weird, but also somewhat interesting people.

Throughout the movie he talks about not being able to settle down or get a job. At some points he sort of comes off as mentally unstable, but not exactly in a violent way. More in just an awkward way although at the same time as being somewhat articulate. He doesn't seem to be lost physically or mentally. He really just seems to be lost in life with no direction, because he has no family for support and finds it hard to create relationships.

I didn't think the movie overall was great, but I did find it to be a very interesting character study with interesting visuals.
July 14, 2014
Jim Jarmusch's debut feature length feature is a strange flick following a awkward individual as he passes from one place to the other meeting other strange, awkward, and uncomfortable people. The lead character mumbles his way through every line, and I can barely figure out what he is rambling on about...but there is some amateur charm in Jarmusch's very early work. I like the director, which is probably why I give this a little more leeway. I kind of liked it, but it is admittedly not for everyone (I'm not terribly sure its for all that many)...and I don't think I can say it was good. In someways it feels a lot like the kind of stuff I'd see so much of in Film School, only with a hint of talent behind it all.
August 2, 2013
The person who put this page together needs to do better research. There are two films with the title Permanent Vacation. The trailer is not for the Jim Jarmusch one, neither is the synopsis or the list of cast members
May 24, 2013
The only meaningful thing about this movie is the opening and closing statement. But what can I say about Jim Jarmusch, he is good at making this strolling film interesting, when he made a film that actually has a purpose it ended up boring.
½ May 7, 2013
'Permanent Vacation' is a grainy, low-budget affair. The acting is often amateurish; the plot more than a little aimless and meandering. Still, it shows early signs of the Jim Jarmusch's flair for deadpan humour and stark observation; required viewing for fans of his work.
March 13, 2013
Its the start of a lot of great work. It was a good and simple and while it is incredibly film school work, it is good film school work, especially for one who dropped out and went to paris to deliver paintings around. Jim is an artist and a good one at that. Worth a watch if you can stand a slow flick with little direction.
February 16, 2013
"Some people, you know, they - they can distract themselves with ambitions and motivation to work, you know, but not me." Those opening lines by the lead character were enough to suck me in and keep me glued to Jim Jarmusch's first (student) film. Suffers at points from slow pacing and loose dialogue but overall it's a drifting slacker's dream.
½ February 5, 2013
Personally, I was very enthralled by this film. The story isn't too great, and the theories narrated of the story aren't very unique. But, everything still manages to be interesting. This being Jim Jarmusch's first full-length feature, the thoughts are understandably not tied together as well as his next film "Stranger than Paradise", which is very well constructed. Things do become more developed as the film goes along, but it still has loose thoughts hanging throughout. This film shouldn't be considered a masterpiece, not even by big Jarmusch fans, but it should be regarded as a terrible film. I would say the one thing that really caught my attention was the visuals. Especially that last long shot. It's recommended for people who admire Jarmusch's work.
½ January 5, 2013
As a fan of a lot of Jarmusch movies, this student effort was ponderous to get through.
½ November 24, 2012
Jim Jarmusch's first film seem more experimental than major compared to his other films. Permanent Vacation shows of Jarmusch's cinematic expression with poetic nature and calm atomosphere. The story Follows a young man his views in life and the world he personally live in, full of likable scenarios and and self discovery. The pacing may be a bit slow, but it a small film with a lot of potential and really shows off what Jarmusch did before his more superior features. Recomended for those familiar with Jarmusch's films.
September 27, 2012
Haunting, I was entirely captured with this film. It stayed with me still after a few weeks of viewing. Could call it a mini-masterpiece. Jim Jarmusch is a great!
½ September 10, 2012
We spend most of ‚Permanent Vacation‚? waiting to be filled with emotion, but the caesura that marks the ending is so somber‚"the saxophonist playing the notes that mark ‚Somewhere Over the Rainbow‚? repeatedly‚"that we‚(TM)re pressed to scour the preceding film strips for whatever emotion we missed.

-jazz‚"free form cinema‚"yeeee
-Obvious precursor to better-known films such as Richard Linklater‚(TM)s ‚Slacker.‚?
April 25, 2012
truly the vacation from hell
January 29, 2012
The sound was amateurish and the scenes were bland. I'd had enough after twenty minutes and turned it off.
½ January 10, 2012
November 17, 2011
Jim Jarmusch's directorial debut. Very raw and documentary-like. Stripped of all the extras that are added with surplus budget. It remains: a great portrait of permanent tourist - an individual who never stays but drifts when the time is right.