All About Eve - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

All About Eve Reviews

May 27, 2017
All I can say is, this film stands the test of time perfectly, based on the needs and troubles of human nature, the script is perfect, the acting is flawless, perhaps one of the greatest female performances of all time (Bette Davis), it is impossible to find something wrong, it was done perfectly.
½ April 29, 2017
Very interesting to see the Best Pic Oscar of 1950. But was it really? It's a showbiz show & a fascinating look at mink-coat'ed but unvarnished femininity. Women are hard on men, but they're harder on each other here. In reality, this is a stage play on film & maybe deserves a special Tony. Why the critics fall all over themselves on this picture is difficult to explain, interesting as it is. Good casting & a Bravo send-off for Bette Davis. A must-see for any film buff ...
½ April 27, 2017
"It Is One Career All Women Have In Common, Whether We Like It Or Not, Being A Woman' - Margo (Bette Davis) - A Film Far Ahead Of It's Time, On The Cusp Of The Women's-Lib Movement It Chronicles WIth Dry Wit & Sharp Satire The Aspects Of Downfall From Grace In Light Of What May Come. Within The Mix Is The Politics Of Relationships, Prowess & Fame. It Is So Hard To Let Go Of What Defines You & This Highlights Those Quandaries So Very, Very Well. Marvelous Performances Drive A Good Character-Developed Story That Really Does Shine On Through The Ages. Loved It.
½ April 12, 2017
To sum up in one word: boring. Gets a little more interesting in a soap opera kind of way as it goes on but I can't help but see this classic film as being really overrated.
April 3, 2017
The atmosphere it creates, the acting, it pulls you into another world.
March 21, 2017
Seriously why!!!! Why must this movie be old fashioned!! I don't like old fashioned movies! And it is in black in whit movie! Boo!!! Stupid movie!
March 6, 2017
A timeless classic that everyone needs to see!
March 5, 2017
10 out of 10:

All About Eve uses great acting, a smart premise, and clever writing to form one of the best dramas.
March 2, 2017
A movie about fame that is hard to find even resemble even decades after. Bette Davis is Bae and she the cherry on top. Great script and supporting cast. Pretty sweet ending!!!
February 28, 2017
In the 21st century, this classic about an aging actress is still relevant.
Antonius Block
February 27, 2017
Bette Davis is so effortless and breathes fire in her performance as Margot, an aging actress who finds herself slowly and insidiously being usurped by a young fan, Eve, played by Anne Baxter. I don't think it's in a 'best ever' type of discussion, or worthy of its 14 Academy Award nominations, but its sharp dialog, predatory manipulation, and overall bitchiness make it entertaining, even if it's hard to like the characters.

There are some great lines here; in addition to the famous "Fasten your seatbelts, it's going to be a bumpy night", I loved it when Davis exclaimed "I'm not twenty-ish, I'm not thirty-ish. Three months ago I was forty years old. Forty. 4-0. That slipped out. I hadn't quite made up my mind to admit it. Now I suddenly feel as if I've taken all my clothes off." Davis herself was 42, and this line and others ring true. George Sanders (as Addison DeWitt) is also fantastic, at one point saying "You're an improbable person, Eve, and so am I. We have that in common. Also, a contempt for humanity, an inability to love and be loved, insatiable ambition, and talent. We deserve each other."

These quotes capture the spirit of the movie, which to me is simply about the difficulties that aging women face, and the cold and calculating world of the theater. There is supposedly a homosexual element, a theory put forth and apparently confirmed by writer and director Joseph L. Mankiewicz, but it's so subtle, perhaps because of the Hays Code, that it didn't even register with me, and I think it's irrelevant. These characters are in the best cases rough around the edges, and in the worse, simply awful people. We see Margot being slowly replaced and want to feel sympathy for her, but it's tough because she's so abrasive. We see the evil side of Eve slowly unveil itself as it becomes apparent she's far from being a starstruck fan or even who she says she is. And at the end we see that she, too, will be replaced. It's all a bit grim: time, a machine that grinds them down, and competition for glory that leads to Machiavellian backstabbing. It's ironic that Davis was such a diva that there was discord amongst the actors, and Baxter pushing her way into a 'Best Actress' nomination instead of 'Best Supporting Actress' would lead to a division of the vote and neither of them winning. I was happy to see Marilyn Monroe in a small part at age 24 and before she was big, just to bring some lightness into the film. This is certainly a good movie, don't get me wrong, but it's not one I'd watch again and again as I would my favorites.
February 24, 2017
One of the best movies of all time. Bette Davis is in top form.
February 24, 2017
Welcome to the theatre !
February 23, 2017
Brilliant in every way
January 15, 2017
Love love love this movie and ensemble cast!!!
January 8, 2017
What does it take to get to the top-The underbelly politics behind hollywood's stars -A cameo appearance of the blond bomb shell makes ot all the more fascinating
December 20, 2016
Really struggled to get into this, definitely prefer Sunset Blvd
½ December 16, 2016
Runs a bit long, but it's a solid film with good character arcs and a cast that deliver on their acting.