All About Eve - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

All About Eve Reviews

August 28, 2016
Great cast; interesting to see Marilyn Monroe in her groove this early role. George Sanders is perfectly urbane as the narrator. The plot avoided some standard Hollywood cliches. Though very good, didn't think it quite lived up to the hype, but looks like I'm in the minority.
August 22, 2016
Absolutely fantastic! Great dialogue, great plot and great cast!
½ June 29, 2016
An incredibly well acted and edited piece - holds up wonderfully.
½ April 3, 2016
This holds up so well and the script is very strong. If you enjoy a movie not for it's action or special effects but rather for it's writing, storytelling, and acting then you should check this one out!
March 9, 2016
In the 21st century, this classic about an aging actress is still relevant.
March 7, 2016
Fasten your seat belts. All About Eve is a bumpy drama. It's an excellent film that is well-deserving of the Academy Award for Best Picture. (First and only viewing - 1/26/2011)
March 7, 2016
A incredible motion picture with a perfect performance by Bette Davis as Margo.
February 10, 2016
The film itself is clever and very funny, from start to finish. And this supporting cast is outstanding, especially Gary Merrill & Anne Baxter. But Bette Davis OWNS this film and everything about it. I am ashamed to say that this is the first Bette Davis movie I've ever watched. But now, I'm going to watch everything she's ever made.
February 1, 2016
Pure drama, pure acting class, pure story-telling gold. So, so very, very good. If you haven't seen it, it's the best example of how totally immersing a black and white movie can be.
January 18, 2016
All About Eve is sharply written from the opening credits to the final fade and performed brilliantly by non other than Bette Davis.
January 15, 2016
One of the best scripts in film history
December 27, 2015
My favorite movie ever.
December 25, 2015
This movie tricks you. It's not going as happy a ride as the first ten minutes might make you think.
½ December 12, 2015
An exquisite, classy exposition of a cunning, bloodthirsty actress who uses her innocence and charm to climb to the top of the acting world, unsettle the life of an old star and take the theatre by storm.
December 10, 2015
Vintage performances. This is the story of two actresses. One is established, but is arriving at the sunset of her career (Bette Davis). The other is up and coming, and worships the former's every move (Anne Baxter). This can only go on so long before everything comes to a head. This is one of the best acting movies that you can take the time to watch. Every single performance is a powerhouse, and tying it all together is the wonderful Bette Davis as Margo Channing, one of the most well rounded female characters brought to life on film. It is truly riveting to see this story play out, and while it is certainly a powerful ensemble piece, make no mistake: it is the Bette Davis show. She is playing such a tragic character, and while her big theatrics may be what is most remembered about from this ("fasten your seatbelts, it's going to be a bumpy night"), there is actually a whole lot of subtlety to her performance. She can pull off emotions that don't have to be overblown, like insecure, or proud, and you fully get where her head is at during every single moment of this. You can read between the lines, showing the subtext behind them: hatred, jealousy and cynicism. It's truly a performance for the ages. There's always not a storm brewing underneath the surface, but a category 5 hurricane, and you don't get to see something like this just any old day of the week. I could go on and on about how flooring Bette Davis' performance is (and believe me I could), but the supporting cast shouldn't be understated, either. I love the sick psychology of it all, specifically with Anne Baxter; she is more or less becoming someone else, and the vicarious nature of this movie is downright disturbing when you stop to think about it. There's always a glisten in her eye, and it isn't long before you realize that she knows exactly what she is doing; she doesn't care about forcing the issue, allowing her aging idol to feel completely vulnerable to youth. I love the ending of this, showing how truly cyclical this story is, and I can't recommend this enough. I have a familiarity with the theatre, so I got an extra layer out of it, but this is absolutely mandatory viewing for anybody who is a fan of film as a whole.
December 2, 2015
Hovers so dangerously close to perfection that one might think it were crafted by divine hands. Indeed, God made Adam and 'All About Eve'.
December 1, 2015
A classic. Perceptive and knowing in its handling of the female characters and the world they inhabit. And note Marilyn Monroe in an early role, already averting the camera's gaze away from the others. Bette Davis gives one of the iconic Hollywood performances.
½ December 1, 2015
nice story beautiful scenes
November 25, 2015
A classic in every right, All About Eve is all about its characters, who are brilliantly brought to life by Bette Davis, Anne Baxter, Gary Merrill, Celeste Holm, George Sanders, and Hugh Marlowe. The film is a great look at acting and the way actors come up and the cyclical nature of the business. As time goes on, new talent emerges as the old talent fades. To become talent, you may have to do some unsavory things to get a chance. A certified classic that is somehow 65 years old now, All About Eve has aged like a fine wine.