All About Eve - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

All About Eve Reviews

May 3, 2018
that happens to be your practical abnormality..

All About Eve

Despite of being termed "All About Eve", its barely about Eve and I mean it in as an undercooked character way that never reaches its destination until the last act and when it does it seems like makers jumped or skipped some beats. Joseph L. Mankiewicz; the screen writer and director has done some appreciative work but his sheer effort to create this character driven feature with a wafer thin script shatters the feature into bits and pieces of some good material that fails to make a definite point or even bind it all. Bette Davis is the actual winner in here that is supported amazingly by George Sanders but unfortunately one of the lead actors Anne Baxter's performance is what itches all the way through. All About Eve is your slow pill that is definitely effective in its own way but when it does, the question starts to beg whether all of it was worth or not.
April 28, 2018
Great bitchy classic. Excellent cast. Every character stands out. Even Marilyn Monroe in a bit part has some memorable lines of dialogue. While I still don't like how the script makes Margo (one of the strongest female parts in cinema history) admit casually that she, and all women, are nothing without men, I still can't find fault with anything else in the picture. The acting is perfect. I love George Sanders and his snobby voice, and Ann Baxter's performance is sublime : she goes from squeaky-clean mouse to venomous back-stabber without missing a step... As usual, the story is stolen by the always wonderful Thelma Ritter, who's the only one who saw through Eve the second she met her. It's a shame Ritter never got to take home an Oscar. She sure came close a few times.
½ April 13, 2018
Davis at her best with a terrific cast and one smartly written movie.
March 18, 2018
Davanti a film così vecchi risulta difficile dare un giudizio sia soggettivo che oggettivo. Un film è radicato nel periodo storico in cui è uscito, e solo il pubblico di allora conosce l'impatto che ha avuto nella società dell'epoca. A questo punto l'unica cosa che si potrebbe fare è immedesimarsi nel pubblico di allora, o cercare i motivi per cui è stato così apprezzato tanto da diventare un classico, e probabilmente uno dei film più importanti della storia. Sicuramente è un film che si basa sui personaggi, sulla sceneggiatura e su tutti i dialoghi in generale. Questi ultimi fanno parte di lunghe sequenze che rispettano i canoni convenzionali dell'epoca. Ancora adesso il film non annoia ed intrattiene senza problemi, un aspetto che non sempre è scontato per una pellicola così datata. Si riesce ad intuire lo stile classico e tradizionale dell'epoca, uno stile a cui si ispireranno registi e sceneggiatori del futuro, scegliendo film del genere come esempi da seguire.
½ March 8, 2018
In the 21st century, this classic about an aging actress is still relevant.
½ February 10, 2018
Melodrama at its best. 1001 movies to see before you die.
January 24, 2018
A classic. The pace and wit of the dialogue unmatched in most modern films.
January 13, 2018
Bette Davis is at the top of er game as successful actress Margo Channing in this brilliant, all time classic movie. All About Eve is an early example of what we'd probably call a "stalker" movie these days but it is done with such skill and care that the real creepy, horrific element of what is actually going on is easy to miss. Anne Baxter plays superman Eve who stalks and studies her idol, Margot, with the cunning and guile of a rattlesnake, only to find herself trapped by her own machinations. Joseph L. Mankiewicz's directs his stellar cast with enormous skill and the result is a movie that has become legend.
½ January 6, 2018
Magnetic. Deserving of its status as a classic.
½ January 1, 2018
This is one of the worst films I have ever seen. Normally I would switch off if I wasn't enjoying a film but this one was so egregiously bad I was compelled to keep watching, as if mesmerised by its awfulness - the hamminess of the acting, the direness of the dialogue, the one-dimensional characters. And to think that this is widely considered to be one of the best films of all time. Words fail me.
December 20, 2017
This is one of the best movies I have ever seen. Worth watching.
½ October 28, 2017
Perfect camera work and great use of character interaction. A balance of mystery, comedy and drama that maintains suspense at a steady yet attractive pace.
½ October 4, 2017
This is a brilliantly acted film from a tight script. It's a tale about greed, and dreams set in the theatre. And it only seems to get better with age.
September 21, 2017
We certainly would not be talking great cinema without it!
September 17, 2017
A great film with excellent performances across the board.
August 22, 2017
Bette Davis blew me away in this. Love this film!!!
August 21, 2017
This drama contains strong performances, especially from its female actors. Davis' performance in particular is outstanding. It contains a clever and witty script, which makes the film an entertaining view. Considered to be one of the best movies of all time. AAN 1001
August 3, 2017
A great film about an up and coming actress that achieved greatness while using no so great means to get there.
July 31, 2017
The highlight of All About Eve is the amazing cast and it's always brilliant star Bette Davis. Let's not forget this legendary script with witty and humorous situations and complex characters and twist. It's a must watch classic.
July 29, 2017
It's a gem. A gem of elegance and intelligence so superbly directed that it looks symmetric, the end joining the beginning, Eve becoming Margo. Mankiewicz's Hollywood classic is a brilliant tale of ambition and backstabbing within the showbiz, stunningly remarkable for its memorable performances, especially from a magnetic Bette Davis who portrays a fading but magnificent stage star, Margo Channing, overtaken by Eve (Anne Baxter). And the dialogues thoroughly sharpen 'All About Eve', making it delightfully fun and witty.