The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse Reviews

• Sep 14, 2020

The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse is a silent epic with a unique premise of a tango dancer fighting in World War I, and interesting apocalyptic visuals. It is a little bit of a slog, but it is a good, minor classic.

• Jan 26, 2019

The best, GREATEST epic movie ever made!

The best, GREATEST epic movie ever made!

• Kevin M. W Super Reviewer
    Sep 09, 2018

Valentino became a star of the (gasp!) forbidden Latin lover variety behind his silken performance of an aristocratic letch who's surprised when World War cuts into his lecherous lifestyle. Handsomely filmed with a big roving script, look for the inflammatory, hearts-a-flutter tango scene which soaked many a theater seat in it's day.

• Jul 24, 2018

A well made anti-war film about a family torn apart during war time that served as Valentino's breakout role. Most famous for Valentino's "tango" scene. And all the 20's girls swooned!

• Jan 15, 2016

The first war themed film produced by Hollywood. (First World War). Valentino's break out film, infamous Tango scene, infamous flower scene. Valentino the anti-hero, smouldering, sexy, dangerous and an utterly charming gentleman. Perfect combination. Perfect for Rudi fans. However, the film is a little to long and could be more concise and it is a bit to anti-German, were the reviews of the time, and I do agree.

• Sep 29, 2015

Adapted from Vincent Blasco Ibanez's 1916 novel of the same name, Rex Ingram's The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse takes place during the first World War and sees a family of both French and German descent get torn apart by the conflict. That's what the plot of this film should be. Instead, June Mathis's script is muddled down by over an hour of set-up and an uninteresting love affair. It felt as if the film should have been starting at about the 1 hour 40 minute mark. At its height The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse is a thrilling metaphor for a world ravaged by war - with lead actors Rudolph Velntino and Josef Swickard making the most of the silent film medium - but at it's lowest it's a melodramatic mess of characters I don't remember the names of attempting to tell far too grand a story for silent film.

• Aug 10, 2014

out of all the movies i just saw recently this one is probably the best. it is very boring and makes those two hours drag on forever. but the film has a pretty complex story for the time. its actually quite dark and effectively mixes in biblical aspects with the horrors of war. plus it gets props for being one of the first anti war films. its a good film and i can see why it was successful at the time but i wouldn't recommend this to a modern audience.

• Aug 04, 2014

An underrated gem in the silent days of film, The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse masterfully incorporate patriotic, religious, and familial themes into its epic scope.

• Aug 02, 2014

It's incredible emotional strengths and easily understood yet perfectly poetic metaphors make up for a few glaring flaws.

• Nov 10, 2013

Marcelo Desnoyers (Josef Swickard): "You knew my son?" Tchernoff (Nigel De Brulier): "I knew them all!" This was kind of campy (but maybe it's just because of its age). Rudolph Valentino may have been the greatest of the on-screen lovers but his tango left much to be desired-- spaghetti arms. Tsk, tsk. Other than that his character Julio had no redeeming qualities: he's spoiled, lazy, arrogant, defiant, adulterous, selfish and shallow, until probably twenty minutes 'till the end when he finally becomes the stereotypical, prodigal son; but I did like the conclusion of his story and any other conclusion would not have suffices. It seemed like all, if not most, of the cast of character were flawed in some way, shape or form. The grandfather was silly and unfair; Julio's aunt and uncle were greedy and their sons cold-blooded. There was nothing ideal about Julio's own family: his father was a spineless fool, his mother was weak and his sister, albeit seemingly the most grounded member of the family, was a bit flighty sometimes. Even Julio's love-interest, Marguerite (played by Alice Terry) was a bimbo who needed the urging of a ghost in order for her to do the right thing. She was such a simpleton. The production of the Horsemen concept was kind of cool-- the film went all out with the visions of hell and the horsemen and the beast of war. It almost had an operatic quality to the lavishness of the props and the effect. That part I quite enjoyed; but overall, this film doesn't stand the test of time. It fun to watch just because it's so old and Valentino was a larger than life personality, but viewing this film once is enough for me. I doubt if I would devote any more time to it if I come across it in the future.