Gone Reviews

• Dec 10, 2017

Expected more from a show with these actors . Seems like a huge step down from Law and Order however it's not the acting that's terrible its the script. Such a shame and I don't see this lasting long

• Sep 12, 2015

i read that this was a slow movie to start, but if you stick around for the ending you won't be disappointed... well i wasn't impressed. i don't recommend this one at all.

• Oct 20, 2014

Gone (Ryan Ledwidge, 2007) I continue to lack an understanding of why this film has ever been, much less continues to be, compared to Wolf Creek. The two films don't even reside in the same genre of film, much less the same subgenre. Gone is an attempt at a cerebral thriller, far more in line with the various attempts to adapt the Ripley novels than a Wolf Creek-style gore film. The comparisons are sure to create unreasonable expectations in the minds of potential viewers; I can tell you this from personal experience. Not that I would have found the movie good had I known what I was getting into anyway; that just added an extra level of disappointment. Plot: Alex (Cashback's Shaun Evans) is on his way into the hinterlands to meet up with his girlfriend Sophie (Quills' Amelia Warner) hor a vacation. On his way, he stops for the night in Sydney, and meets Taylor (Peaceful Warrior's Scott Mechlowitz) in a bar. The next morning, Alex wakes up after a night of drinking far too much with Taylor and finds himself next to a woman. Taylor has photographic proof. That's not creepy, right? Taylor offers Alex a ride, they pick up Sophie, and then the fun begins. Or what should have been fun, but somehow managed to be dull as dishwater from first frame to last. There are so many places where this movie seemed like it should have been so much better than it was without ever actually seeming to aspire to get there. The cast is comprised of fine young actors, and all of them do capably here. The Australian landscape is gorgeous by default. Both of these things end up being more frustrating than anything, hamstrung as they are by a goofy script and a sense of pace that seems to have been plotted out by a meth addict, but only in between jolts. I think if someone had filmed a staged reading of this movie, I would have probably liked it better than what we actually got. **

• Aug 30, 2014

Actually not a bad movie. And available on Netflix streaming! The performances were good, plot good, a lot of people said it was slow but it kept you wondering what was going to happen next. For a movie that's on Netflix streaming, I'm wondering how it got on there as most of those movies are "throwaways" that had a lackluster performance in movie theaters and make it to the Nexflix scrap heap rather quickly. This one actually held my interest. I didn't text even one time throughout the movie. The character of Taylor here is acted wonderfully and subtly for such a young actor (this guy was only like 23 or 24 when he did this movie).

• Aug 27, 2014

Predictable, dull, and low on scares, Gone can't progress very much plot with its numerous minuscule scenes.

• Jesse O Super Reviewer
    Aug 22, 2014

This movie did absolutely nothing for me. While it's incredibly derivative and cliched, I think a good movie could've, and should've, been made out of this. I think the atmosphere of the Australian outback helps set the mood. You feel as if Taylor decided to kill Alex and Sophie tha nobody would ever find their corpses. There is that sense of dread in the story. But the issue I have with the film, for the most part, is that the pacing is absolutely dreadful. Just terrible. I realize that some psychological films require a little bit of patience to get through, but this is just one of the worst movies, when it comes to pacing, that I've ever seen. More than once I felt compelled to just shut it off and watch something entirely different. There are so many movies that I can access on Netflix, or any other outlets such as Redbox, VOD, Amazon, Crackle, etc. that I felt that I genuinely was doing this movie a favor by watching it. I should never think that at any moment in any film. The truth is that I'm not doing them a favor, as my Netflix subscription lets me watch everything I want each month, so it's not like I'm paying to, exclusively, watch this film. I'm not saying this film is bad, but it doesn't particularly do a good job at trying to hold your attention. So you have shitty pacing, for one, and incredibly poor characterization, and even worse acting, that means that the "good people", Alex and Sophie, are both immensely unlikable. Alex is right about Taylor but the way he says makes him look like THE biggest asshole on earth, if you're Sophie at least. They could've found a better way for him to go about things, particularly if you're supposed to CARE for him, which you don't. Sophie's a dumbass for not realizing that something is up the moment Ingrid, who was with Taylor, supposedly left without telling anybody. She's also a dumbass for not listening to Alex when he was trying to warn her about Taylor. Granted she tried to leave several times, but it wasn't because of Taylor, it was because of Alex's reaction to being on this trip WITH Taylor. So it's kinda hard to like her as well when there's all this strange shit going on in front of her and she doesn't even realize it until it's too late. And Taylor was the villain, so he didn't need to be likable. But I did find the acting by Scott Mechlowicz, as Taylor, to not be particularly interesting. I just don't think this guy is good enough to pull off this type of sociopathic role. He just looks too much like a teen heartthrob to pull off an effective sociopath. I realize that it's not just about the look, as I'm pretty sure Leonardo DiCaprio, a handsome man according to many females and gay men, could pull off a sociopath, but that's because he's also immensely talented as an actor. Scott Mechlowicz, unfortunately for him, is no Leonardo and it definitely shows. I think he'd be good at a Casanova-type character who manipulates females into having sex with them by using his charms. He could pull that off, and he does do some of that here, but this role, while not being THAT complex, is simply out of his dramatic reach. It's also poor characterization when the villain is the LEAST unlikable character in the film. And I'd be hard pressed to think that it was by design. The last 10 minutes or so of the film are appropriately gory and violent, but by that point it's simply too late. The pacing, the poor characterization, the average acting all took its toll out by this point. Let me clear this up, I didn't find this film to be offensively bad or anything. It certainly didn't drive me to pulling my hair out. But this should've been such a simple, yet effective, story to tell that I'm simply just flabbergasted how they managed to screw it up THIS much. That doesn't mean I found this movie to be terrible, it has good atmosphere and a decent climax, but the other elements of the film just leave a lot to be desired. Can't really justify a recommendation of this film unless you've literally seen every movie Netflix has to offer. Scratch that, the only reason you should watch this film is if you've seen every film ever made period. New movies are released every week, so I highly doubt you'd need to resort to this to get your movie fill. I can see others enjoying this movie so much more than me, but I greatly disliked it.

• Jul 05, 2014

Good cast, slow story but the backdrop is worth it.

Good cast, slow story but the backdrop is worth it.

• Jan 08, 2014

A very well done thriller!

A very well done thriller!

• May 21, 2013

72% Couldn't relate to any of the characters. The chick pissed me off the most, pretending not notice Taylor touching her all the time and his glances of 'lets screw'. And then finally on the night of hers and Alex's supposed break up, she does do the business with the guy. On the first night of a four year relationship, just didn't get it. Australia looks beautiful...except for those friggin' flys.

• Feb 23, 2013

Very predictable. Good soundtrack though.

Very predictable. Good soundtrack though.