21 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

21 Reviews

July 30, 2017
Good movie. How close it falls to its source material is between the filmmakers and the real people, and aside from some formulaic plotting, it's still a thrilling, fun and very entertaining movie with stylish direction and good performances from its cast, especially Yoo, Fishburne and Spacey.
April 11, 2017
Could have been SO much more entertaining and a better movie if they just followed the book. It was still entertaining but if you the read the book this movie was a damn shame.
March 27, 2017
One thing in Blackjack is always be careful especially in Las Vegas!
½ March 24, 2017
Miscast of character and story. A one man army of fantasy.
March 10, 2017
It was a good movie. I loved the professor's expression in the end! It was hilarious!
February 23, 2017
"21" is a true story based on the book "Bringing Down The House". I have not read the book but I have heard the film does digress a bit from its source.

How people can call the film Racist because some of the characters were changed from Asian to White I'll never know. No one said anything when The King Pin in Dare Devil became Black or Robert Neville in I Am Legend went from being a middle-aged Caucasian male to a young African American man. Ben Campbell in "21" is in real life Jeffrey Ma, who actually has a bit part in the film as Planet Hollywood Dealer Jeff. Now if he had a problem with the film's adaptation in anyway do you really think he take part in it!

If you want a serious and informative documentary go watch the Discovery Channel. However this is the business of show baby and that means entertainment!

Directed by Robert Luketic this film, as you'd expect a Vegas film to be, has got charm, slick gloss, enthusiastic flair and bags of style. A combination of those makes it hard to reject the sheer delight of being swept up in the heady rush of fast wealth and the dicey (no pun intended) pleasure commonly coupled with the gambling thrill.

Jim Sturgess is very good as MIT geek and hero of the piece, Ben Campbell desperate for a scholarship at Harvard Med. Kevin Spacey gives the film quality and just about steals every scene he's in, while Lawrence Fishburne add weight and class to the show.

Possible SPOILER. The ending is very indefinite and you wonder if there was supposed to be an underlying message. If there was one in the closing epilogue narration/speech I understood it to be 'go to Vegas and try and win big by whatever means necessary and if you lose friends along the way and your self respect and possibly all of your money AND get beaten up in the process so what - it was amazing FUN WASN'T IT KIDS!?'
February 1, 2017
It's good movie to watch
½ January 24, 2017
Even though the acting is bad and there are some corny moments I liked it. Entertaining with a unique story and twist. (First viewing - Summer 2008)
January 15, 2017
you dont get tired of seeing this movie.
½ January 8, 2017
You can smell the END COMING!!!
January 5, 2017
I hear it's totally shitty, but I'm still interested.
½ December 23, 2016
Really good movie. I don't necessarily remember hearing too much about this when it was released. Of course Kevin Spacey is great. It's a really fun movie.
½ October 22, 2016
Tres bon divertissement sur le blackjack et le comptage de cartes. On reste captive du debut a la fin. Une arnaque tiree de faits reels.
July 18, 2016
When its $300k to get an education then ultimately the only upward mobility available is to cheat the old fashioned way.
½ June 17, 2016
If a great film is a straight flush poker hand, and a terrible film is a high card hand, then 21 is somewhere along the lines of a straight. It's not the best, but it's not the worst. It's simply middle of the line.

There's plenty to like in 21. Robert Luketic's direction is stylish, and meshes well with the glitz and glamour of the Las Vegas setting that a majority of the film takes place in. Accordingly, the movie moves at a nice pace, and only slows to a noticeable halt during a handful of scenes. The acting is pretty good across the board, not only from veterans like Kevin Spacey or Laurence Fishburne, but also from younger leads Jim Sturgess and Kate Bosworth. There's also plenty to dislike in 21 though. The main fault is in the script, which suffers from a case of bland characterization and story beats. It's the typical rise-fall study that comes with the heist film genre, and while a admittedly clever twist in the third act tries to shake things up, it doesn't save the entire script from an overwhelming sense of familiarity. It's hard to root for characters when they struggle amid very ideal circumstances (the MIT-attending protagonist's main struggle is the fact that he can't afford to go to Harvard), and so this lack of relatability takes away from any impact that the poker games should have. You never find yourself caring all that much whether these characters are successful or not in their card counting scheme, and that hurts the film a lot. It probably doesn't help that the film doesn't even try to explain how card counting really works, so we as viewers are left in the dark as to what's truly going on.

"Winner winner chicken dinner?" Not quite.
½ June 7, 2016
Something fresh and fun!
February 16, 2016
I was disappointed watching the movie after reading the book. I thought the story in the book was not only very different, but also much better.
December 14, 2015
After watching the trailer, I expected alot from this movie. And it delivered enough. It was a straightforward plot, and with that it was hard to really give it any twists. They threw in a couple, but they were predictable. All around though, it was just a cool movie to watch. I feel like trying to count cards now.