21 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

21 Reviews

½ December 15, 2017
This was alright. It was a bit too long and it never fully explained their technique as well as I was hoping that they would, but I enjoyed it for the most part. It is hard to watch Kevin Spacey these days, but the movie is still worth seeing.
December 12, 2017
I love this movie. Watched it over a dozen times now and never gets old. Considering the story is playing cards....... it's actually fast paced
½ November 10, 2017
21 completely squanders its opportunity to tell a fascinating true story, and instead opts for a heist film that is filled with incredulous moments, mediocre and derivative drama, and bad performances by everyone except for the great Kevin Spacey.
November 6, 2017
Okay, Jim Sturgess is way more swoon-worthy than Kevin Spacey.
½ October 15, 2017
Kevin Spacey cant save this from going bust. An intriguing premise, completely under-utilised, let down by one-dimensional characters and obvious plot choices. This could have been so much better.
½ September 27, 2017
Very Generic. Not much thrill
½ September 24, 2017
I really enjoyed this film. The story and premise was fantastic. The acting was solid and it was interesting and different. I'd love them to do a spin off or a remake of this film eventually.
½ August 19, 2017
Kevin Spacey plays an MIT mathematics professor who recruits his brainiest students to be part of his secret team of blackjack card counters and spotters. Jim Sturgess is the main character and is Spacey's newest recruit. Loosely based on a true story (in real-life all of the mathletes were Asian) the film does stretch credibility at times, but Spaces is amazing and in one of his wonderfully acerbic and snarky roles, and the film has a hip feel to it, featuring cool songs by MGMT and Peter Bjorn & John, and Laurence Fishburne is a lot of fun as a glowering casino fixer type of character who's out to get Spacey over an old beef. This film is breezy summer entertainment and is not a dark edgy poker movie like John Dahl's "Rounders," but it is still solid entertainment.
July 30, 2017
Good movie. How close it falls to its source material is between the filmmakers and the real people, and aside from some formulaic plotting, it's still a thrilling, fun and very entertaining movie with stylish direction and good performances from its cast, especially Yoo, Fishburne and Spacey.
April 11, 2017
Could have been SO much more entertaining and a better movie if they just followed the book. It was still entertaining but if you the read the book this movie was a damn shame.
March 27, 2017
One thing in Blackjack is always be careful especially in Las Vegas!
½ March 24, 2017
Miscast of character and story. A one man army of fantasy.
March 10, 2017
It was a good movie. I loved the professor's expression in the end! It was hilarious!
February 23, 2017
"21" is a true story based on the book "Bringing Down The House". I have not read the book but I have heard the film does digress a bit from its source.

How people can call the film Racist because some of the characters were changed from Asian to White I'll never know. No one said anything when The King Pin in Dare Devil became Black or Robert Neville in I Am Legend went from being a middle-aged Caucasian male to a young African American man. Ben Campbell in "21" is in real life Jeffrey Ma, who actually has a bit part in the film as Planet Hollywood Dealer Jeff. Now if he had a problem with the film's adaptation in anyway do you really think he take part in it!

If you want a serious and informative documentary go watch the Discovery Channel. However this is the business of show baby and that means entertainment!

Directed by Robert Luketic this film, as you'd expect a Vegas film to be, has got charm, slick gloss, enthusiastic flair and bags of style. A combination of those makes it hard to reject the sheer delight of being swept up in the heady rush of fast wealth and the dicey (no pun intended) pleasure commonly coupled with the gambling thrill.

Jim Sturgess is very good as MIT geek and hero of the piece, Ben Campbell desperate for a scholarship at Harvard Med. Kevin Spacey gives the film quality and just about steals every scene he's in, while Lawrence Fishburne add weight and class to the show.

Possible SPOILER. The ending is very indefinite and you wonder if there was supposed to be an underlying message. If there was one in the closing epilogue narration/speech I understood it to be 'go to Vegas and try and win big by whatever means necessary and if you lose friends along the way and your self respect and possibly all of your money AND get beaten up in the process so what - it was amazing FUN WASN'T IT KIDS!?'
February 1, 2017
It's good movie to watch
½ January 24, 2017
Even though the acting is bad and there are some corny moments I liked it. Entertaining with a unique story and twist. (First viewing - Summer 2008)
January 15, 2017
you dont get tired of seeing this movie.
½ January 8, 2017
You can smell the END COMING!!!
January 5, 2017
I hear it's totally shitty, but I'm still interested.
½ December 23, 2016
Really good movie. I don't necessarily remember hearing too much about this when it was released. Of course Kevin Spacey is great. It's a really fun movie.