Arthur - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Arthur Reviews

½ November 21, 2016
One of the most genuinely funny movies I've ever seen, Moore, Minelli and Gielgud are terrific.
August 31, 2016
Charming, funny and very enjoyable. It was a great story about love that you don't see that often.
½ August 23, 2016
Mr. Gordon's screenplay is full of funny things, and it's beautifully paced, but it's the performances that give the picture its true classiness.
February 12, 2016
Watching this for the 100th time tonight!
December 2, 2015
Arthur siempre me pareció un personaje horrible, aunque se redima, me resulta patético para dedicarle una narración.
½ November 1, 2015
Underneath all the gleeful superficiality is a traditional style screwball rom-com. Its unrealistic, silly, charming and totally likeable.
October 30, 2015
Gielgud had the best lines. Miles better than the remake.
August 9, 2015
Steve Gordon's delightful, heartwarming old-fashioned screwball comedy, which features a brilliantly funny Oscar nominated performance by the late Dudley Moore, who is so endearing as Arthur Bach, a spoiled drunken millionaire playboy who is at risk of losing his massive $750,000,000 dollar inheritance, if he doesn't marry a boring heiress who he does not love and cannot stand, she has been handpicked for him by his old money father, and his dotty grandmother. But lots of complications occur soon after when Arthur falls in love with a feisty waitress named Linda Marolla, played terrifically by Liza Minnelli, who is the perfect foil for Moore, they have real chemistry together. The late great Sir John Gielgud, is absolutely priceless in his unforgettable Oscar winning performance as Hodson, Arthur's protective acid-tongued valet, his comic timing is perfect and he is a total joy, who steals every scene he is in. Exquisitely directed by late Steve Gordon, who also wrote the side-splitting original screenplay. Superlative supporting performances by Geraldine Fitzgerald, Jill Eikenberry, Stephen Elliott, Ted Ross, Barney Martin, Anne De Salvo, and Lou Jacobi. There are more genuine laughs in this gem of a film then most comedies put together. The memorable Arthur's Theme (Best That You Can Do) earned an Oscar. A true 80s classic. Highly Recommended.
May 30, 2015
My favourite film of all time. Everything about this movie is wonderful, in every way. Witty, romantic and full of smiles.
March 12, 2015
Dudley Moore was an amazing actor!! This film was one of his best performance
February 25, 2015
A cute fun movie with a charming performance from Dudley Moore. Liza Minnelli is incredible and a scene stealer in this movie and it reminds me why she is a great actress and I wish she did more work now. John Gielgud and Geraldine Fitzgerald are funny too.
February 1, 2015
Arthur has to be one of the most likeable characters I've ever seen.
January 6, 2015
This is almost a four star movie. Dudley Moore was quite good in this, and I like the concept for a storyline of a movie. Liza Minnelli is perilously annoying in this. The part I couldn't get was why he was so repulsed by marrying the rich lady he was betrothed to. She seemed like the woman I'd rather be around in contrast to Liza. In any case, I will end by saying that for years I've been aware of who Dudley Moore is as an actor, but I had no idea that he could play the piano to the extent that he does. I was blown away by the brief scene in this where he plays the piano. It was not trickery. That was Dudley Moore playing and that it was just wildly amazing how good he is. I don't think that this has held up well over time. I was considering watching the remake with Russell Brand. Anyhow, this is worth a once over. I was glad I watched it now as an adult because as a small child in the 80s it never otherwise appealed to me. RIP Dudley Moore. 3.5 stars on this one.
December 13, 2014
The one liners roll while this fine cast sparkle in this great comedy.....Dudley's best work.
October 19, 2014
Hahahaha! This is a hilarious movie. Arthur is a spoiled awesome child and drunk. Dude Arthur is drinking and laughing 24 hours 7 days a week. Awesome movie. I want to be him badly. Badly
½ August 6, 2014
It was interesting to watch again (with Sarah) after so many years. Alcoholism, in general, and drunk driving, in particular, are no longer areas to mine for humor. However, Dudley Moore is brilliant, as is John Geilgud, whose Oscar was richly deserved.
½ August 4, 2014
(First and only viewing - 4/6/2013)
July 15, 2014
Strange love story is very entertaining
March 6, 2014
It was funny but I steadily kept losing interest.
February 27, 2014
Good, but not great. All I could think of when I heard Dudley Moore speak was, "Milo and Otis".