The Count of Monte Cristo - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Count of Monte Cristo Reviews

½ August 31, 2015
Swashbucklin' adventure at its best! Robert Donat plays Edmund Dantes, a poor sailor vilely and wrongly imprisoned in an island jail by corrupt French officials. Indeed, the key is metaphorically thrown away when his phony death certificate is signed by wicked Louis Calhern - thus, his fate is sealed without a trial even (at least not yet). In prison for a decade or more, he finally meets up with another long-bearded mentor (who has tunnelled for 8 years to reach him) who then schools him in science and all other arts until finally....a clever escape! But I shan't tell Alexandre Dumas's entire story here. Suffice it to say, with the assistance of a buried treasure on another lonely isle, Dantes emerges as the newly titled Count of Monte Cristo and slowly seeks justice and revenge on those who imprisoned him. Each episode is rousingly triumphant (as the score cues us to cheer) and Donat's performance is impeccably classy and full of honour throughout. Although the supporting cast isn't all up to his standard, there are a few standout familiar faces (for example, what's Preston Sturges fave Raymond Walburn doing here as an enjoyably pompous villain?). Yet things are so wonderfully surging that viewers young and old can't help but be swept along to the exciting conclusion. Touché!
March 17, 2015
another superior version of this oft filmed tale.
April 4, 2014
If you look past the fact that it is filmed way back in black and white, the 1934 adaptation presents you with a very enjoyable Dumas experience, the closest achieved till date.
March 9, 2014
I thought this was very well done, the story is all there, and Donat plays the count with sympathy (and in some points questionable revenge), a fun night at the movies to be sure.
½ February 27, 2014
It has a couple of exciting sequences and fine cinematography, but The Count of Monte Cristo ends up being barely above the average film thanks to so-so acting, very static approach which is ridiculous for such an exciting story and poor directing and editing - the beginning is too dragged, some sequences are unfortunately very rushed and the ending is very abrupt.
January 14, 2013
I know that you shouldn't say bad things about classics, and V cannot be wrong. But I didn't like it. It was difficult to follow, full of unnecessary monologues and bereaving the viewer the joy to figure it all out by themselves.
½ February 21, 2012
Ahh.. So much freedom they had back then. What what... :P
January 3, 2012
Muito bom, bem atuado e muito bem feito por um filme de 1934 (ainda à (C) preto e branco), foi um dos filmes mais antigos q assisti
July 16, 2011
I get the feeling I wont like this as much as the remake, and hopefully it wont make me like the remake less. I think it's appropriate to watch it becuase it's the original, and the 2002 version is one of my favourite movies.
December 18, 2010
A bit dry and flatly staged, but not a bad adaptation. Being that the book is one of my all time favorites, I think this gets pretty darn close. It's also a product of its time. I wonder if the whole point of the trial at the end (not in the book) goes towards the Hays Code firmly in place by 1934; while The Count operated as a vigilante, he had to be shown using the law to his advantage instead of working against it. That being said, I do prefer the 2002 version over this one; it's more satisfying in the elements of revenge and love. Still, not bad.
October 5, 2010
watched it in english class. great movie!
September 3, 2010
Not exactly truthful to the original story, but this version is quite delightful non the less.

The Count of Monte Cristo is a classic tale of revenge where a man who is falsly of treason but escapes jail to gains a fortune from his cell mate, which he uses to extract his revenge to the people responcable for his inprisonment. The rest of the story kinda turns away from the book story in order to become entertaining and less confusing. But frankly, that's just a given when adapting this story. I wish they would have focused on Edmond Dantes's obsesive state of mind more, but this movie does have it's great dramatic moments (like when Edmond and Mercedes meet after he comes back after 20 years as the count)

For a very, very old film it does hold up pretty well. Sets and costumes are fabulous, and there is one duel scene which I love because of the camera work. But all qudos must go to the fantastic acting by Robert Donat and Elissa Landi. The really do steal the show. Both were very entertaining to watch.

Maybe I'm being too harsh for a movie that's over 70 years old, but then again this movie isn't as faithful to the novel, and it's a bit dated. But this movie is still entertaining and classic movie lovers will enjoy this movie very much.
½ August 31, 2010
A revenge story with class. Almost epic in proportion, The Count Of Monte Cristo (1934 not the crappy version) was a tale that truly captivated her viewers. Only Oldboy comes close as a tale of revenge.
July 20, 2010
A classic Swashbuckler, faithfully adapted from Alexandre Dumas' novel. Robert Donat gives a great performance.
February 22, 2010
Monday, February 22, 2010

(1934) The Count of Monte Cristo

ADVENTURE

A movie based on a novel by Alexander Dundas. This is no ordinary swashbuckling film but a film about retribution. And the hero does this without really any physicality or predictable confrontaions BUT by using his wits, ingenuity and a lot of money. This film also does a good job about a mans dilemmas of retribution since the central character was a Christian.

4/4
January 16, 2010
The best version of this classic tale. My favorite film of all time.
November 14, 2009
Best filming of the book ever. Splendid acting.
May 14, 2009
Very enjoyable version of the Dumas story starring Robert Donat as the vengeful Dantes. I'll be honest, the only version of this story I know is the 2002 version with Guy Pearce, so I was a bit surprised with the story of this one (though I would assume this version is more faithful to the book). It's not as adventurous as I thought it would, but it's still very good. However, the only copy I had was a colorized version of it (and stupid me, I forgot to just change the TV to black and white). Anyway, it's a good film, Donat is great and the sets are cool as well.
March 11, 2009
This movey is ever green