Day of the Dead - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Day of the Dead Reviews

November 25, 2016
Leaving aside the brilliant satirical humor of Dawn of the Dead, Romero makes an attempt at a zombie drama but fails with a poorly executed plot, while the one-dimensional characters are so awfully developed and unlikable that we never care about them, and so everything falls flat.
½ November 10, 2016
I have never been very fond of this 3rd film in Romero's Dead series. There are things I like. I like the plot line with Bub and the doctor. The gore effects are incredible. That aside, I hate the cartoon bad guys in this film and the fact that 85% of the film is people yelling at each other. Generally speaking, the more Romero believed the hype that what made his zombie films special was their political subtext, the more clumsy and trite that subtext became. This is where that trend started.
October 31, 2016
I still fail to see how George A. Romero can possibly regard this as the best of his zombie trilogy. It's not a bad movie, it's just the first two were vastly superior. It's arguably darker but manages to be less frightening and urgent as the former entries, even with the enhanced makeup and effects. If you loved the first two this one might leave a bit of a sour taste in your mouth.
½ October 29, 2016
Immensely entertaining, well acted, impeccable makeup effects, and a unique take on the zombie sub genre.
Grade: A-
½ October 28, 2016
A slow burn that raises the tension between characters superbly. With a greatly satisfying pay off. Day of the Dead is probably my favourite zombie movie. A very bleak and isolated take on the zombie apocalypse. It's a ticking time bomb of great storytelling and high stakes.
½ October 19, 2016
It's not as good as the first two, the acting is sometimes cheesy, and there's no zombie attacks until one hour into the movie, but it's really more of a character movie in a world overrun by zombies and if you're fine with that, it's a decent movie. Also, the final 20 minutes have great, gruesome special effects and it's awesome.
October 15, 2016
Nothing to extraordinary about this movie, however, I won't say it's not worth watching either.
½ September 15, 2016
Day of the Dead (1985)
Starring:Lori Cardille,Terry Alexander,Joseph Pilato, Jarlath Conroy,Anthony Dileo Jr.,Richard Liberty,Sherman Howard,Gary Howard Klar,Ralph Marrero,John Amplas,Phillip G. Kellams, Taso N. Stavrakis,Gregory Nicotero,Don Brockett,and William Cameron
Directed by George A. Romero
Review
THE DARKEST DAY OF HORROR THE WORLD HAS EVER KNOWN.
Hello Kiddies your pa the crypt-critic here with a very special treat,the final film in George A. Romero's dead trilogy. It is bold and has lots of guts.
The film is set In an underground government installation where they are searching for a cure to overcome this strange transformation into zombies. Unfortunately, the zombies from above ground have made their way into the bunker.
The premise is pretty good and easy to follow but it isn't as interesting as the survival attempt in Dawn of the dead where there are a truck-load of zombies like I thought there would be for this film. The movie was original for it's time but I'm pretty sure there have been many other zombie films similar to this now. I didn't feel this movie had a flowing story though, although I don't feel the pacing was the problem I just didn't find the premise all that.
The acting was top notch,but I have to say that the best performance in this entire film and maybe through out all of horror would be Sherman Howard as Bub the zombie. He stood out in a scene where he discovers what happened and becomes upset and starts throwing a temper tantrum.
I wouldn't say all of the elements of a good horror film is here, I mean it does have it's moments of being grotesque and fun,but it doesn't have that much of an interesting story, I'm giving this day of the dead a three and a half out of five.
August 21, 2016
Day of the Dead (1985) C-96m. ?? D: George A. Romero. Lori Cardille, Terry Alexander, Joseph Pilato. Grisly follow-up to DAWN OF THE DEAD where military soldiers and scientists shelter in underground bunker; great special effects combat overacting and talky ambiance. Followed by LAND OF THE DEAD.
½ July 3, 2016
Don't watch this boring piece of shit! stick to Dawn Of The Dead (1978) instead.
May 2, 2016
Great music, amazing make-up & special effects and Captain Rhodes!
March 22, 2016
Day of the Dead is dark, claustrophobic, tense, and littered with interesting performances and twists on the zombie genre. It is, in my opinion, the best of the original Romero trilogy.
March 3, 2016
Excellent.Even better than Dawn of the Dead
½ February 8, 2016
Worthy follow up to Dawn Of The End. More intense graphic make up and gore, considering the tight budget.
January 19, 2016
Possibly the most accomplished, maybe in some ways even the best movie in Romero's "Dead Trilogy". This stark, bleak and ultra gory movie is a masterpiece about morality and how much we as humans are slaves to habits, rituals and the jobs we end up having to see through in this life, usually to the detriment of actually living. It's also full of seriously satisfying gut munching, with some of the best gore and make-up effects ever crafted, the final buffet of grue being a barn storming gluttony of messy nastiness. The Walking Dead owes everything to this trilogy and this movie in particular. As a plus it has one of those ever evolving, ambiguous endings, i always thought it the most positive and hopeful, now...im not so sure.
½ November 24, 2015
A timeless classic, even if its predecesors received better ratings. Day of the Dead, despite being overlooked, is still a very good movie. Good special effects make all the flesh tearing seem as if it is actually happen. They will leave you questioning how they were able to make it look like that one guy tore apart so easily. The plot however is more based around surviving the people that the characters are stuck with, rather than surviving the zombies, which is an added bonus. The two groups of characters clash creating a great plot. George A. Romero's Day of the Dead is definitely worth a watch.
½ November 4, 2015
A nice continuation of the original zombie apocalypse. The broad scale is toned down to focus on a handful of people. It is extremely graphic at times, which is a good thing, and is a nice change of pace.
November 2, 2015
Bub as a character alone is remarkably well done and the implications of this film make it one of the best entries in the zombie genre.
November 2, 2015
An absolute blast from start to finish. B-Movie horror at its finest
November 1, 2015
Maybe it was good in 1985, but in 2015, it doesn't hold up.