Dillinger - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dillinger Reviews

April 8, 2015
I guess maybe because I saw Michael Mann's version before this one and even though Warren Oats from "Stripes" looks and sounds a lot like the real John Dillinger I admit I only got up to about 15 minutes before pulling it out of the DVD player because for its way too over the top with the characters and the story seems totally inaccurate from what I know about Dilinger
April 8, 2015
February 28, 2015
So much better than the newer Dillinger movie called Public Enemies with much of the same situations. The 70s were just a better feel for movies and plenty more action in this one!
August 5, 2014
A tragically under seen classic of the New Hollywood era. An astounding action film that packs the punch of filmmakers familiar with real life violence.
½ January 26, 2014
Better than Mann's Public Enemies
October 27, 2013
I was recommended this movie by someone who very much disapproved of Micheal Mann's 2009 film "Public Enemies" and I must say that I wasn't very impressed by this film. I thought it was It even more shallow than Mann's version because I didn't find much character development or likeability with Oates version of Dillinger.

The truth is that I don't care if this movie is even the slightest more accurate because there isn't much here other than some good shootouts. The 70's had some unusual filming and editing on some films, and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Here, I just thought the editing was poor and the movie had a very episodic feel overall.

It's like the director was caught in between making a documentary and a film and the film just never planted it's foot in a good and firmly fashion. Ben Johnson gave his usual one note performance as Mevin Pervis and Warren Oates did his best with the limited material that he had.

Richard Dreyfuss was terrible as Baby Face Nelson and there is a scene where Nelson and Dillinger had a big confrontation that totally killed this movie for me. The only real highlights here are the shootout scenes. Don't expect much else from this film.
May 6, 2013
April 30, 2013
I liked the casting, especially that of Warren Oates as Dillinger. To make use of a convenient cliche, he was born to play the role. I also liked some of the cinematography that displayed wide open American farm country. But overall it was more focused on elaborate gun battle sequences, almost like attempting to one up Sam Peckinpah in regards to the sheer explosive brutality of it. It didn't gel out with the rest of the movie. The scenes between Dillinger and Billie Frechette were awkward and extremely limiting for the actors. It was John Milius's script which ruined the great potential of this film, which, I'm not hating on the man, after all, he wrote Apocalypse Now, but still. We all make mistakes.
½ February 14, 2013
Some great acting but a mediocre film. Milius is a much better writer than director.
½ February 9, 2013
Unexpectedly good movie! It's fast-paced with exciting action sequences and the editting technique seems quite modern, almost Scorcese-esque. Interesting to see Richard Dreyfuss playing Babyface and Michelle Phillips playing Dillinger's love interest.
February 5, 2013
I did a report on John Dillinger. The real John Dillinger whent through my hometown and part of the movie was filmed their. I am amazed by John Dillinger and I deffenatly have to see this movie.
½ July 17, 2012
In 1945 director Max Nosseck's Dillinger was released and tells the story of John Dillinger, who was played by Lawrence Tierney. The film wasn't entirely accurate but it was still an enjoyable gangster flick with a really good screenplay by Philip Yordan and a solid cast that did a fine job. Twenty-seven years later, John Milius's film about the bank robber was released that has the same title as the 1945 film, Dillinger. This movie in both written and direct by John Milius and the outcome is a very good gangster flick, better than the 1945 Dillinger. This movie has plenty to enjoy but along the way I found some things that I didn't entirely like and some things that I just hated. This is may not be a classic, but it is definitely a film that is worth checking out.

This film takes place during the Great Depression were getting money is very hard, but not for John Dillinger (played by Warren Oates) and his gang. John Dillinger's gang is one of the most dangerous gangs out there and is filled with killers and robbers. No one has ever stopped Dillinger but one G-Man, Melvin Purvis (played by Ben Johnson) has made it his job to stop all big time killers and robbers, sure enough Dillinger is on that list. Purvis is certain he will take Dillinger down and Dillinger is certain that he'll never get caught, and if he is caught it won't be for long. Also in this film you see the romance he had with Billie Frechette (played by Michelle Philips), his daring escapes from prison, and the his exciting bank robberies.

John Milius had a lot to do in this movie, he directed and wrote the script. Overall he did a fine job. I thought his directing in this movie was really good and he shows us that in the opening scene. The opening scene to this movie was just wonderful and had great writing and great directing. The directing in this movie is great all throughout the movie and I really had no complaints about it, as for the writing I did have a few problems. The main problem that I had with this movie was the way they showed the romance between John Dillinger and Billie Frechette. At first I thought it was pretty decent but as the movie went on I just started to hate it and after the movie I started to think about the movie and realized that the start of their relationship wasn't even that good. At first I thought it was the acting but going back to the start of their relationship I realized that it was Milius's fault with his poor writing of the romance. Even though this has nothing to do with the writing I have to say that the music that was going on during those romantic scenes was just horrible and made it seem like the movie was a movie all about love. Other than the romance I thought this movie was written very well. Even though this movie isn't entirely accurate I enjoyed everything about the writing, other than the romance. This movie has some great scenes and some great dialogue. One scene that I found very amusing and clever is a scene where Purvis and Dillinger are both at the same restaurant with their dates, I thought the scene was very clever and well written.

One thing worth mentioning in this review is that this movie has some very exciting shootouts that are fun to watch, especially the huge shootout between the FBI and the Dillinger gang in the third act of the film.

The acting in this movie has it's good along with some performances that are questionable. In this movie Warren Oates steals the show as John Dillinger. Although I liked the character of John Dillinger in the 1945 version I liked this one a lot better, in the 1945 version John Dillinger at times looked harmless but could also be very dangerous and in this movie I always felt that this guy is dangerous. Warren Oates just does a great job at this role because he feels so intimidating and you know this guy is trouble just by looking at his face. Like I said earlier I hated the romance in this movie and thought it was written horribly, the only thing I liked about it was Oates performance but on the other hand you got Michelle Philips performance. Oates was the only good thing about the romance in this movie but Michelle Philips was just horrible in everyway. If her performance was actually good I could have probably gotten past the bad writing and actually enjoyed the romance between those two but she was just bad. In almost every scene she's in she's just horrible and there's one scene in particular were I was just so annoyed by her. One thing that makes up for Philip's is Ben Johnson's performance as Melvin Purvis. I completely bought that he was a G-Man wanting to take down all these killers and I even felt that if I were a criminal I would be very intimidated by this guy. Other performances that are worth mentioning are Harry Dean Stanton as Homer Van Meter, Richard Dreyfuss as Baby Face Nelson, and Steve Kanaly as Pretty Boy Floyd.

In the end the 1973 version of Dillinger is a very good film but not quite great. Other than one area the writing is superb, the directing is great, the acting is great with the exception of a few and it all combines into one damn good movie. The romance does take this movie down quite a bit and this movie isn't entirely accurate about John Dillinger's life of crime and that's what kept me from thinking this is a great film. If you can get past the stupid romance and enjoy gangster flicks this is definitely worth checking out and if your looking for a good movie about John Dillinger's life I would say check it out because it's a bit more accurate than the 1945 version.
July 10, 2012
Good biopic on the criminal career of John Dillinger. Well told story - moves along effortlessly. Gritty, yet with plenty of humour.

Solid performance by Warren Oates in the lead role. Ben Johnson is possibly a bit hammy as Melvin Purvis. Good support from Michelle Phillips, Richard Dreyfus, Harry Dean Stanton and Steve Kanaly.

Better than Michael Mann's 2009 version of the Dillinger story, Public Enemies. Grittier and more freely flowing.
June 3, 2012
Warren Oates looks more like the real Dillinger than any other actor who played him (including Johnny Depp, rather improbably.) Made in 1973, this movie has a grittiness which works very well, though like other films of the period, it does over-egg the anit-hero theme. Ben Johnson plays the 'G Man' who pursues Dillinger, and despite being on the side of law, he isn't any more moral. Lots of famous faces here - including Harry Dean Stanton, Richard Dreyfuss, Cloris Leachman, and Michelle Phillips as Dillinger's girlfriend. But it's Warren Oates who really stands out in the lead role. He should be remembered as one of the finest actors of his time.
April 18, 2012
Truely amazing, and awesome. They just don't make 'em like this anymore.
½ March 18, 2012
Forget Johnny Depp in Public Enemy for a moment and take a look at Warren Oates in John Milius' Dillinger who actually look just like Dillinger. I guess you all ready know the story after seeing the Depp film, but it is the story about the infamous criminal John Dillinger who robs bank for a living together along with his gang, while the FBI agent Melvin Purvis (Ben Johnson) does every dirty tricks to catch Dillinger.

I pretty much loved the film, it's one of those violent romantic film that they don't make any more, like Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid and Bonnie and Clyde. All the actors actually looks pretty much like the characters they are portraying. I don't care if they are way older than their character were in real life, that only makes them more reliable and more balanced. And also there's some pretty good supporting performance by Richard Dreyfuss as Baby Face Nelson, and who can say no to Harry Dean Stanton. Besides the acting, there's the action scenes of course. I do like Public Emeny's action sequences, but with Dillinger, the easiest is often the best. Thumbs up.
½ November 14, 2011
Certainly Much better than most films about the man, including the disappointing Public Enemies. I'm just not sure about the narration in this one.
TheDudeLebowski65
November 6, 2011
John Milius's Dillinger is a somewhat of a romanticized retelling of criminal John Dillinger's exploits. Dillinger is a flawed film that though is entertaining and worth seeing, it ignores several important facts. After reading extensively on John Dillinger and seeing both Public Enemies, and Dillinger, I have to say that Public Enemies is a bit more accurate than this film. The problem with Dillinger is that director John Milius directs a film that uses real facts, but waters the facts down with too much fiction. Say what you want about Public Enemies, but that film was far more accurate, with minimal inaccuracies. Dillinger is an entertaining film despite the fact that Milius ignores facts, (I enjoy a bit of authenticity to films dealing about 1930's bank robbers). However this film does have some good things going for it. For one the lead who plays the title character of John Dillinger, Warren Oates looks like Dillinger and delivers a great performance as the title character. I liked the film, and though it is nothing compared to the classic, Bonnie & Clyde, Dillinger is still a good film to watch and enjoy if you love gangster films. Dillinger has some great action scenes and bank robbery scenes. Dillinger is a good film, but it isn't the definitive film on the exploits of John Dillinger. I enjoyed the film however, but I felt that the film could have been done much better than this. Dillinger is nonetheless a good film to see for viewers that enjoy a good bank robbery film, and despite its inaccuracies, Dillinger is still a fun film to watch.
September 2, 2011
Best john dillinger movie made, way better than that crap with johnny depp in it. If you liked Bonnie and Clyde(1967) you'll love this!
June 8, 2011