Fright Night - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Fright Night Reviews

May 2, 2017
Pretty entertaining though there are flat spots.
April 25, 2017
Classic horror-comedy that never gets old.
March 25, 2017
Possibly one of the first horror films I sat up late to watch by myself in my youth, this actually held up fairly well on the re-watch. While it's definitely a victim of the '80s as far as fashion and music goes, it's still a fun film from start to finish, and the practical effects look pretty decent even after all these years.

Give it a rental, or just buy it cheap like I did.
March 8, 2017
- A fun horror-comedy with Roddy McDowell and Chris Sarandon. I always loved the poster as a kid. This film is a fun and easy watch for fans of the genre.

- I just watched this for the first time. It's a fun 80's horror/comedy starring "Marcy Darcy" and is actually quite fun. Not a great film but any means but worth a watch.
½ February 19, 2017
A mix of blood-soaked gore, and 80's camp help to make Fright Night not only a brilliant vampire movie but also a wonderful time-capsule for one of the Horror genre's most creative and prosperous decades.
½ January 28, 2017
I honestly couldn't tell if the movie was trying to take itself seriously or not. For me, the comedic aspect wasn't delivered strong enough. The starting plot felt forced and sporadic, while the acting was questionably over the top. Several of the characters are complete idiots, and lack my emotional support for their survival. The main character has some sort of sixth sense to know when something strange is happening, which anyone else would ignore.
½ January 1, 2017
Pretty awesome 80's fare
November 23, 2016
Not only is it a great horror movie, the movie subtly pokes fun at the genre too. The last half-hour displays massively cool special effects to go with the spectacular suspense. Back in the days when effects weren't CGI
½ November 21, 2016
Fun, tongue-in-cheek suburban horror with decent make-up that probably looked a little better at the time than it does now.
November 9, 2016
Before vampires became the focus of the adolescent fantasies of teenage girls, there was an attempt to make them a bit more sexy in a 1980s style. Fright Night was one of the better teen comedy horrors of the era and genre where a monster moves in next door to a suburban house and is witnessed by a teenage geek that nobody believes. It's a well toddy plot but what makes Fright Night work is the addition of the wonderful Roddy McDowall as the host of a late night horror show, who become embroiled in the action. His tongue is firmly in his cheek throughout but he is just a joy to watch. This was an era of rubber masks and animatronic special effects and it has to be said, that the ones that feature in Fright Night are pretty good. It was also before such films became unnecessarily gory and overly violent. Fright Night is fun and more of a nostalgia trip of a more innocent time and despite the permed hair and slash-necked sweaters in vibrant 1980s primary colours, is still a spooky tail, ideal for Halloween.
½ October 31, 2016
One of the most fun films in the horror genre.
October 5, 2016
I like this because it is thick on music and special effects from the 80's. The only thing missing is for Al Bundy to show up during one of Amanda Bearse's scenes and make a joke about how she looks like a chicken.
September 12, 2016
A atuação espetacular de McDowall e o clima de suspense fazem desse filme um dos melhores de terror de todos os tempos.
July 20, 2016
Fright Night is a fun, creepy and thrilling film about a vampire living next door. It plays by all the rules of what vampires can and cannot do which makes it even better. From the beginning Fright Night builds the suspension of what's to come keeping you sucked in. It moves fast with a clever story and good performances. Fright Night is a great 80s horror film that you won't wanna miss, even the music is so 80s it's awesome.
July 18, 2016
Fright Night 1985 was a way better vampire film then the remake.
June 13, 2016
A good vampire horror movie definitely better than the 2011 remake.
June 12, 2016
4/5. A really fun vampire movie that is both thrilling and funny. It has some really great characters and is just a lot of fun.
June 11, 2016
Funhouse type of horror film about teenager William Ragsdale realizing his new neighbor is a vampire. His friends, Amanda Bearse and Stephen Geoffreys as Evil Ed, don't believe him but humor him by enlisting the help of monster movie TV show host to help him kill the vampire, a terrific Roddy McDowall playing a Peter Cushings-like actor who's fallen on hard time. The slick vampire is played by Chris Sarandon, who will forever be the evil prince in "The Princess Bride." The film was written and directed by Tom Holland, who I will forever be impressed by writing a smart sequel to a film that never should have had a sequel with his script for "Psycho 2." Holland brings a pitch perfect tone to the film that is at once funny and playful, but also suspenseful and scary in all the right places. "Fright Night" is a smart and funny horror film that will please both casual and hardcore horror fans, though it's still not quite what I'd consider a classic.
June 3, 2016
Love only this version! Watch it every year for Halloween!