Glory - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Glory Reviews

May 23, 2018
You can tell what is going to happen. Sounds like a predictable movie then, right? Nope. The delivery makes this film perfect. We know how it will end, but it does so with beauty.
½ May 21, 2018
Considering how accurate it is to a boring topic, I loved it, I was engaged.
May 11, 2018
we had to watch this for class and usually i dont watch the history movies in my class but when he put this on i finally watched it and it is so good my favorite and sad part of it is when the african american man got in trouble so he got whipped and when he got whipped he didnt scream,flinch or nothing he just looked the commander in the eyes so hard the commander felt sorry for making him get whipped and the man getting whipped only shredded one tear and he already got whipped from being a slave!!!
April 1, 2018
with a strong lead performance by Matthew Brokerick and a brilliant supporting cast this is my second favorite civil war movie only to lincoln
½ March 4, 2018
Great war movie, interesting but underrated.
Less gory than most war movies.
½ March 3, 2018
Pretty good oscar civil war movie.
February 24, 2018
1001 movies to see before you die.
February 2, 2018
I never tire of seeing this film, with Matthew Broderick, Morgan Freeman (in his first major role, aged 52), and Denzel Washington. In a prophetic letter to his mother, Robert Gould writes to his mother, "We are fighting for men and women whose poetry has not yet been written, but will soon be as renowned as any.." Gould died before the birth of e. e. cummings.
November 22, 2017
Rousingly heartrending and magnificently acted, Edward Zwick's war epic chronicles the first African-American infantry regiment rising above racial bigotry in the military and turning the tide of the Civil War ensuing their apocalyptic sacrifice at Fort Wagner.
November 12, 2017
Re watched ... Good movie ... Great actors ... Broderick I think Mis casted tbh
½ September 28, 2017
It's good they showed the fear in their eyes.
½ August 14, 2017
Featuring exceptional cinematography, an anthemic score, powerful social commentary, and incredible performances all around, "Glory" rightfully stands as one of the finest Civil War films ever made.
½ July 22, 2017
The best American civil war film out there I reckon
July 18, 2017
A Civil War epic, following the trials and tribulations of the first all-black regiment in US history. At first they face enemies on both sides of the battlefield, but through such adversity comes dogged perseverance and they gradually convince their peers that not only is the cause a just one, but they all merit a role in the fight. Matthew Broderick is an unusual choice as the squad's tough, dedicated commander, only a few years removed from light-hearted comedy roles, and he isn't always convincing. The really meaty parts come from the troops themselves, anyway, and those ranks are filled out quite well. Morgan Freeman is excellent as the weathered voice of reason, a man who's seen the remnants of battle and tries to prepare the recruits for what's to come, but the standout performance belongs to a young Denzel Washington. As Private Trip, an escaped slave with a lifetime of pent-up anger that frequently threatens to swallow him, Washington's outbursts, protests, inner turmoil and ultimate vindication make up the film's lifeblood. Some of the battle scenes show their age, but that's not what it's about in the end, really. Heavy on the emotions and just a bit sappy, it's an important story done justice and a true dramatic powerhouse.
May 26, 2017
It's competent enough for what it was trying to achieve but is merely a good movie.
½ April 14, 2017
Extremely uplifting movie about one of the first black regiments in the Civil War. Denzel Washington deserved his award. A bit melodramatic a times but its still a big favorite of mine. I've seen this movie many times and almost always tear up in the end.
April 2, 2017
10 out of 10:

Glory is a powerful movie with great direction, phenomenal acting, and an affecting story.
February 24, 2017
For once I agree with Peter Travers. Matthew Broderick was miscast as Shaw. Ending battle was kind of bullshit, too.
½ February 20, 2017
"Glory" is a beautifully filmed film with a powerful story that gains sentimentality through a honest method by staying true to its fact-based story. The film also benefits from a wide variety of strong acting performances, notably from Denzel Washington.
February 12, 2017
A very good film depicting the 54th Regiment in the Civil War, and all-black unit with white commanding officers. An all-star cast makes up this film, and they do a great job in all their roles. The entire film is gripping and very intense in terms of the tensions between the white and black officers and fellow soldiers at times. The battle scenes are magnificently directed, as well as the rest of the film. I really enjoyed Denzel Washington and Morgan Freeman in this film, and I felt that Matthew Broderick did a very good job as well. The final act of the film is one of courage, bravery and unity.