The Great Gatsby - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Great Gatsby Reviews

September 11, 2016
I have never read the great Gatsby I just saw the film in 2013 with Leonardo dicaprio. It was extraordinary array of flamboyance, vigor, jazziness, love and tragedy. Such a beautifully made film. I knew one day I had to go back and check out the 74 original. The film by Jack Clayton has some serious differentiations to it but overall it doesn't match up to the modern day adaptation.
For starters the pacing is very different than the 2013 film. I didn't like the cinematography it made it look more like a tv series than a movie. the overall directing was poor compared to the 2013 film I could not stand the constant zoom ins and outs it gave off a weird feel to the film. also he directed scenes in overly dramatic fashion.
The acting in here is the redeeming quality of the film. Mia Farrow was not bad here. she's done better roles but did a decent job here. Even sam waterston in the 70's is sooo incredibly young. I had the same reaction with killing fields but still he looks so different. He did a fabulous job here playing nick. played him less innocent and na´ve and more intrigued by what he was seeing in front of him. Gatsby is more mellow and mysterious here at least in the beginning then everything unravels. excellent work here from Robert redford a year after his monumentus 1973 year.. bruce dern was also very good here.
its interesting hearing this tall tale be narrated so differently than tobey Maguire did. the film distinctly captures the jazz age of that time back then. The costume design was still on point here. the film supplies no flashbacks adding to the further mystery of it all. Different ending than the other film too.
So despite the great performances the film as a whole is OK not great but OK
August 15, 2016
Just because the film's title is based on the novel, does not mean it will actually pay respect to its source material.
June 9, 2016
Since we already analyzed the book so thoroughly in class, when I was watching the film, I was more focused with the acting and filmography rather than the actual plot. The plot and even some of the dialogue stayed very closely to the book. But acting was really bad compared with today's acting. I guess it's understandable for we have to remember it was filmed in 1974. I didn't really enjoy watching it.

And omg, Robert Redford looks exactly like Brad Pitt @___@ Or I should say Brad Pitt looks like young Robert Redford.
½ May 5, 2016
The book was a really great novel, but this version of The Great Gatsby is probably one of the most boring things I have ever seen.
½ April 7, 2016
On one hand, I could rant about how misdirected, miscast, misperformed, badly paced, poorly edited, and utterly boring this film is to sit through, but the film is so bland, it's almost not worth the effort.
½ March 4, 2016
I hated the book and I hated the movie. I never got the appeal of The Great Gatsby - an overused, sloppy, and predictable love story with bland characters and a bland environment. The original film adaptation carries the same nature - it's overall boring.
Based off the "classic" book of the same name, we follow good hearted New York millionaire Jay Gatsby's hope to reunite with a former girlfriend, Daisy Buchanan, although she is married to the self centered champion athlete Tom Buchanan. There's not much of a solid, consistently rising plot - it's the same old, same old until the climax, which feels like it will never arrive.
The Great Gatsby is, to say the least, awful. The book is extremely overrated as well as the film adaptation, which relies on a disappointly bland performance by Robert Redford. The acting is overdone and even annoying at times - I found Mia Farrow's performance as Daisy to be obnoxiously annoying and overly naive. Sam Waterston's role as Nick is basically standing in the background in most scenes - his performance is bland and boring. The plot never gradually evolves, it's bland characters engaging in bland conversations. The scenery is meant to wow but when you really depend on the impressiveness of mansions to be the key factor of the film then you know you're making a bad film. The film feels old - a good film, no matter how old, should never lack engagement so low that it feels old and rotten. Nothing ever excites - it's an overdone story with a bland, bland atmosphere that leaves viewers tired and bored.
½ November 22, 2015
Such a classic movie.
½ August 26, 2015
Her voice is full of money.

Nick Carraway is adjusting to life in the city with his two best friends, Daisy and Tom Buchanan, a married couple with a daughter. Tom and Daisy are socialites that are drawn into a new club life led by the quickly becoming legendary Gatsby. Gatsby throws extravagant parties at his house like none have ever seen. Gatsby is a mystery in a lot of ways but quickly falls in love with Daisy. A love triangle forms that can only end tragically.

"Men and girls came and went like moths."

Jack Clayton, director of The Innocents, Room at the Top, Something Wicked this Way Comes, The Pumpkin Eater, and The Lonely Passion of Judith Hearne, delivers The Great Gatsby. Clayton was assisted by the screen writing of Francis Ford Coppola in the delivery o this picture. The settings, clothes, and feel of the movies were splendid and very well done. The acting was also first rate and the cast includes Robert Redford, Mia Farrow, Bruce Dern, Sam Waterston, Karen Black, and Scot Wilson.

"What do we do with ourselves this afternoon?"

I came across this on Netflix and had to watch it again. This is an all time classic that is definitely a must see and well done rendition of this F. Scott Fitzgerald masterpiece. This remains my all time favorite telling of this tale and everything from the heat of the summer to the soundtrack is very well done. I strongly recommend seeing this and this is borderline worth adding to your DVD collection.

"Everything is so confused."

Grade: A-
July 28, 2015
The Great Gatsby, the third adaptation of F. Scott Fitzgerald's classic 1925 novel, failed to deliver what the novel conveyed despite its faithfulness to the source material
July 1, 2015
Visually rich but emotionally hollow, the 1974 The Great Gatsby is the one thing an adaption of F. Scott Fitzgerald's masterpiece; or even a movie; commits the one crime it shouldn't commit... it's just plain boring.
½ April 6, 2015
The Great Gatsby is a decent film. It is about a Midwesterner who becomes fascinated with his nouveau riche neighbor, who obsesses over his lost love. Robert Redford and Mia Farrow give good performances. The screenplay is a little slow in places. Jack Clayton did an alright job directing this movie. I liked this motion picture because of the drama and romance.
½ March 13, 2015
Monotone acting was incredibly hard to get through and very awkward moments are weird.
½ January 19, 2015
still prefer this version to the gaudy visual feast that baz lurhman directed.
November 23, 2014
I wanted to see this version of the great book before I see the Baz Luhrmann one. It's gotten pretty widely panned, but I actually thought it was pretty good. I think a lot of my enjoyment comes from seeing a young Sam Waterston playing Nick Carraway, who is probably the most relatable character in the book. In fact the movie is actually better when there is the wonder of who Gatsby is than once you actually meet him. It sags a bit in the middle when it focuses too much on the romance between Gatsby and Daisy. But it picks back up near the end with tense scenes involving Wilson (played by Scott Wilson!).
½ November 19, 2014
God in heaven, spare me. This was a trainwreck when it could have been a decent film. Redford is the only saving grace.
½ October 16, 2014
Faithful adaptation. Can't say I agree with the terrible reviews.
½ September 29, 2014
Bad acting, a bad score and too much narration partially countered with good directing and style. Regardless, it's soul purpose in existing after forty years is simply to help students reading the book to understand the narrative.
August 5, 2014
The Great Gatsby is a standout novel that is brilliantly written with a simple story. This book adaptation captures the feel and tone of F. Scott Fitzgerald's classic work. I did enjoy the new version of The Great Gatsby, but I felt that this one was of course a superior film, a film that boasted some terrific performances and brilliant direction with wonderful storytelling. What makes The Great Gatsby such a great story is that it's a simple plot that is both poignant and dramatic, and these elements combine perfectly to create something quite wonderful. This is a superb picture, a film that is captivating from start to finish, and it's easily a classic. I really enjoyed the book, and it's one of my favorites as well, and with this adaptation, I felt that they managed to keep plenty of elements intact that has made the book so good. There are several great performances, and each actor brings something unique to the screen, which elevate the film significantly. If you've enjoyed the book, then by all means, this adaptation is by far the best take on Fitzgerald's material, and it's a film well worth your time if you've enjoyed the book or if you're looking for a finely crafted drama with some fine performances. Like I said, I did enjoy the current retelling of The Great Gatsby, and I do believe it's a bit underrated; however, this is the film version to watch of F. Scott Fitzgerald's literary classic. Give this film a shot, it's well worth your time, and it's a brilliantly acted and directed film that tells a great story.