The Great Gatsby - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Great Gatsby Reviews

½ May 5, 2017
Slow. Poorly acted and directed. Unfaithful to the book. It completely misses the tone, flow, and charm.
May 4, 2017
An extraordinary gift for hope and a romantic readiness such as I have never found in another film and which it is not likely I shall ever find again. Fitzgerald's words say it all and carry the movie. The critics are clueless as per usual. (First viewing - Spring 2003)
April 14, 2017
It is often hard to suck someone into an unfamiliar world, and director Jack Clayton sucks you into his vision of the 1930's with total ease. But comparing this film to the book will completely change your opinion. Every review of this masterwork judges it for being inferior to the book. In actuality, The Great Gatsby is a rich, beautiful film, although more should be accredited to genius helmer Jack Clayton's direction and less to Coppola's admittedly improvable screenplay. First, take a look at the performances. Clayton has stated that if you don't love actors, you're not a director. According to him, they are "the blood of making films." Each actor is so passionate in each expression, tear, and smile.
February 27, 2017
The 1974 adaptation of the legendary novel I recommend to people who either seek to study the book after reading it(albeit a few differences, mainly Gatsby's first appearance) or those who want to see the movie acted out by period stars that today's teenagers wouldn't recognize. It's a great study guide but not a great summarization
February 25, 2017
Saw in 74. Might have been thru steamy windows in Drive-in theater? No, i was in Virginia. can't remember much about this. So i wasn't that impressed.
Redford, Mia Farrow, Sam Waterston (oh please) in 1974.
½ February 15, 2017
An ok adaptation of the book. Very faithful to the book, but it was just BORING. It never really was that interesting to me.
December 7, 2016
Boring. Not intense enough.
November 29, 2016
The Great Gatsby is a movie about a man who's life is a mystery and those who do know him are very secretive about him, and there's the actual main character, who's name is Nick Carraway. Nick Carraway has moved to New York to sell bonds, he moved there because the sales are much better. When he get's there, he meets up with his cousin Daisy and her wife Tom. Now Tom and Daisies relationship is strained which causes Tom to have tendencies to cheat, so Daisy decides to relinquish aswell. All this leads to many event's that spiral out of control, with relationships torn, and trust broken. Now this mocie wasn't a success to say the least, it did average. I didn't like it that much but I must say the acting was amazing (Pfft, yeah right), but at the same time, acting back then was percieved differently to now, so for the time this acting was quite exceptional. This movie manages to do one thing quite well though, it manages to balance darkness and happiness with the right emotions, and manages to show how bad an untrustful reltionship can be. At best, this movie exceeds showing emotion well enough to be viewed as a exceptional movie for the time, not great, but exceptional.
September 11, 2016
I have never read the great Gatsby I just saw the film in 2013 with Leonardo dicaprio. It was extraordinary array of flamboyance, vigor, jazziness, love and tragedy. Such a beautifully made film. I knew one day I had to go back and check out the 74 original. The film by Jack Clayton has some serious differentiations to it but overall it doesn't match up to the modern day adaptation.
For starters the pacing is very different than the 2013 film. I didn't like the cinematography it made it look more like a tv series than a movie. the overall directing was poor compared to the 2013 film I could not stand the constant zoom ins and outs it gave off a weird feel to the film. also he directed scenes in overly dramatic fashion.
The acting in here is the redeeming quality of the film. Mia Farrow was not bad here. she's done better roles but did a decent job here. Even sam waterston in the 70's is sooo incredibly young. I had the same reaction with killing fields but still he looks so different. He did a fabulous job here playing nick. played him less innocent and na´ve and more intrigued by what he was seeing in front of him. Gatsby is more mellow and mysterious here at least in the beginning then everything unravels. excellent work here from Robert redford a year after his monumentus 1973 year.. bruce dern was also very good here.
its interesting hearing this tall tale be narrated so differently than tobey Maguire did. the film distinctly captures the jazz age of that time back then. The costume design was still on point here. the film supplies no flashbacks adding to the further mystery of it all. Different ending than the other film too.
So despite the great performances the film as a whole is OK not great but OK
August 15, 2016
Just because the film's title is based on the novel, does not mean it will actually pay respect to its source material.
June 9, 2016
Since we already analyzed the book so thoroughly in class, when I was watching the film, I was more focused with the acting and filmography rather than the actual plot. The plot and even some of the dialogue stayed very closely to the book. But acting wise...it was really bad compared with today's acting. I guess it's understandable for we have to remember it was filmed in 1974. I didn't really enjoy watching it.

And omg, Robert Redford looks exactly like Brad Pitt @___@ Or I should say Brad Pitt looks like young Robert Redford.
½ May 5, 2016
The book was a really great novel, but this version of The Great Gatsby is probably one of the most boring things I have ever seen.
½ April 7, 2016
On one hand, I could rant about how misdirected, miscast, misperformed, badly paced, poorly edited, and utterly boring this film is to sit through, but the film is so bland, it's almost not worth the effort.
½ March 4, 2016
I hated the book and I hated the movie. I never got the appeal of The Great Gatsby - an overused, sloppy, and predictable love story with bland characters and a bland environment. The original film adaptation carries the same nature - it's overall boring.
Based off the "classic" book of the same name, we follow good hearted New York millionaire Jay Gatsby's hope to reunite with a former girlfriend, Daisy Buchanan, although she is married to the self centered champion athlete Tom Buchanan. There's not much of a solid, consistently rising plot - it's the same old, same old until the climax, which feels like it will never arrive.
The Great Gatsby is, to say the least, awful. The book is extremely overrated as well as the film adaptation, which relies on a disappointly bland performance by Robert Redford. The acting is overdone and even annoying at times - I found Mia Farrow's performance as Daisy to be obnoxiously annoying and overly naive. Sam Waterston's role as Nick is basically standing in the background in most scenes - his performance is bland and boring. The plot never gradually evolves, it's bland characters engaging in bland conversations. The scenery is meant to wow but when you really depend on the impressiveness of mansions to be the key factor of the film then you know you're making a bad film. The film feels old - a good film, no matter how old, should never lack engagement so low that it feels old and rotten. Nothing ever excites - it's an overdone story with a bland, bland atmosphere that leaves viewers tired and bored.
½ November 22, 2015
Such a classic movie.
½ August 26, 2015
Her voice is full of money.

Nick Carraway is adjusting to life in the city with his two best friends, Daisy and Tom Buchanan, a married couple with a daughter. Tom and Daisy are socialites that are drawn into a new club life led by the quickly becoming legendary Gatsby. Gatsby throws extravagant parties at his house like none have ever seen. Gatsby is a mystery in a lot of ways but quickly falls in love with Daisy. A love triangle forms that can only end tragically.

"Men and girls came and went like moths."

Jack Clayton, director of The Innocents, Room at the Top, Something Wicked this Way Comes, The Pumpkin Eater, and The Lonely Passion of Judith Hearne, delivers The Great Gatsby. Clayton was assisted by the screen writing of Francis Ford Coppola in the delivery o this picture. The settings, clothes, and feel of the movies were splendid and very well done. The acting was also first rate and the cast includes Robert Redford, Mia Farrow, Bruce Dern, Sam Waterston, Karen Black, and Scot Wilson.

"What do we do with ourselves this afternoon?"

I came across this on Netflix and had to watch it again. This is an all time classic that is definitely a must see and well done rendition of this F. Scott Fitzgerald masterpiece. This remains my all time favorite telling of this tale and everything from the heat of the summer to the soundtrack is very well done. I strongly recommend seeing this and this is borderline worth adding to your DVD collection.

"Everything is so confused."

Grade: A-
July 28, 2015
The Great Gatsby, the third adaptation of F. Scott Fitzgerald's classic 1925 novel, failed to deliver what the novel conveyed despite its faithfulness to the source material
July 1, 2015
Visually rich but emotionally hollow, the 1974 The Great Gatsby is the one thing an adaption of F. Scott Fitzgerald's masterpiece; or even a movie; commits the one crime it shouldn't commit... it's just plain boring.
½ April 6, 2015
The Great Gatsby is a decent film. It is about a Midwesterner who becomes fascinated with his nouveau riche neighbor, who obsesses over his lost love. Robert Redford and Mia Farrow give good performances. The screenplay is a little slow in places. Jack Clayton did an alright job directing this movie. I liked this motion picture because of the drama and romance.