Manhunter - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Manhunter Reviews

½ November 8, 2017
Working better as an interesting procedural in the way it leads us through a criminal investigation, this film is however less efficient as a character study about a psychopath (or psychopaths if you include Lecktor), as it doesn't offer that much insight into their perverse minds.
½ September 22, 2017
Petersen knocks this out of the park.
September 18, 2017
The TV description doesn't give a clue to this being the story of the Detective who captures Hannibal Lector.But I realized as it unfolded familiarly.The TV series Hannibal seems to be based on this version
September 17, 2017
Pretty decent 80s crime thriller, sort of an early version of silence of the lambs
½ August 31, 2017
I cannot express how odd it is when you start watching a movie and then 20 minutes in something is said and it completely changes your way of thinking about everything. That?s what I experienced when I started watching Manhunter, and out of nowhere the name Hannibal Lecter is spoken. Instantly my whole frame of reference shifted as I realized I was watching a movie based on Red Dragon, the book that preceded The Silence of the Lambs. It?s actually unfortunate that I didn?t see Manhunter back in the 80s before Lecter was immortalized by Anthony Hopkins, because I could not stop myself from making comparisons. I started mentally comparing the quality of the films, judging Brian Cox?s performance based on the bar set by Hopkins, and more.

I have to commend Michael Mann for making a dark and creepy atmosphere throughout Manhunter. He set a tone for the film that fit the subject matter, and kept me on edge. I never knew how violent things would get, and often suspected that the killer could show up at any time. The pace of the film is definitely slow, which is not bad because they allow the tension to build naturally, but there were a few scenes where I was ready to move on because they were dragging out longer than necessary. The thing that threw me off the most while watching was a sequence where there was a perceived threat on one person and it switched to the murder of a different person, but I didn?t see this dramatic moment become a big plot point in the film, it was almost like the dead guy was forgotten by the next scene. I felt like I missed some lines of dialogue or an entire follow-up scene.

William Petersen was pretty good as the criminal profiler called in to advise on the case. While he wasn?t great in the scenes where he?s talking through the killer?s thoughts, those were a bit melodramatic so I don?t know how anyone would make that work perfectly. Brian Cox was actually pretty great as Hannibal, which surprised me. He plays a slightly more controlled version of the character, but that worked for me. My favorite part of Manhunter are those moments when the case hit some big breakthroughs. I like watching as the characters connect the dots, and they draw closer to figuring out whodunnit. And the drama of trying to stop the killer before he strikes again gets my heart pumping. There?s a lot to like in this film and I can?t help thinking, in a world where The Silence of the Lambs didn?t exist, I would totally love Manhunter. Instead, while I was entertained, I?m not sure this one will stick with me as well as the modern classic that came 5 years later.
August 17, 2017
With a 'Miami Vice' meets 'Silence of The Lambs' vibe to it that may not appeal to everyone, Manhunter has a tendency to stay in the shallows rather than to dive deep and explore the more disturbing themes centered around serial killers and those who hunt them. Despite this, Mann's adept direction results in a suspenseful and engaging, if not somewhat superficial thriller whose sheer intensity and great cast will keep many interested until the very end. Petersen is fantastic in his role as FBI profiler William Graham, but look out for Cox and Noonan who end up stealing the show with their subtle yet creepy portrayals of the psychopaths.
July 29, 2017
JUST WATCHED THE DIRECTOR'S CUT.LOVED IT.NOW I AM WATCHING BUBBA HO TEPP
July 28, 2017
Frankly, although I do like suspense movies, this one just ins't what it was cracked up to be. I really don't understand the thrill of using serial killers as a way to tell a story.
July 21, 2017
1991's The Silence Of The Lambs Is One Of My Favorite Films Of All Time.
½ June 28, 2017
FBI criminal profiler Will Graham (William L. Petersen) is called out of early retirement to assist on a serial murder case involving a killer known as the "Tooth Fairy" (Tom Noonan). Graham enlists the help of imprisoned serial killer -- and cannibal -- Dr. Hannibal Lecktor (Brian Cox), who is the reason Graham took an early retirement. Soon, Graham and the FBI are entangled in a deadly cat-and-mouse game between the Tooth Fairy, Lecktor and an interfering journalist (Stephen Lang).
½ June 4, 2017
Red Dragon es el remake de esta película.
½ June 2, 2017
the first chapter in the Hannibal story and very well executed a tense thriller
May 24, 2017
Solid 80s detective movie, awesome soundtrack and great cinematography.
May 4, 2017
Very outdated and hard to watch because of that. Red Dragon is a much better movie of the same story. (First and only viewing - In my early twenties)
April 16, 2017
A classic from Michael Mann. Tense, powerful, gripping, and as usual, his use of music is unrivaled.
½ April 1, 2017
The first Hannibal movie that hasn't aged very well, but it is worth a watch for fans of Harris' work.
March 20, 2017
Great use of cheesy 80's pop/synth and Mann's typically great visual style. Far superior to the 'Hannibal Lector' films that followed
½ February 24, 2017
Manhunter's pace is a little too slow for my liking. Will Graham and Francis Dollarhyde's personalities need to be jacked up a little bit, as they seem too calm for their situations.
½ February 11, 2017
Great camera work, framing and color. Feast for the eyes.
½ February 4, 2017
Pretty poor, in fact the worst Hannibal film of the lot. Luckily they remade it with Hopkins in Red Dragon as that version is far superior.