Manhunter Reviews

• Jan 03, 2021

One of my favorite films. Brian Cox is a Hannibal Lecter who in almost the equal of Sir Anthony Hopkins.

• Jan 03, 2021

While being the oldest performance, it absolutely blows away the audience. Although not being Hopkins, the actor who plays Hannibal still plays him well.

• Dec 28, 2020

Awesome film, well directed and Brian Cox as Hannibal Lector is more sinister than Anthony Hopkins version.

• Dec 09, 2020

A watchable enough film let down by the predictability of the big breakthrough moment of realisation. It's a bit of fun, complete with bad eighties hair, eighties fashion and eighties sound track. They don't make them like this any more - watch this to find out why.

• Dec 03, 2020

Manhunter is one of the best 'serial killer' genre films to date. Brilliant directing,cinematography,intense,suspense,great soundtrack.This film was ahead of his time.Underrated.

• Nov 22, 2020

Guys, the movie "TheMatrix4" is out !!! bit.do/TheMatrix4

Guys, the movie "TheMatrix4" is out !!! bit.do/TheMatrix4

• Oct 11, 2020

If you liked Red Dragon (2002) don't bother with this one. Not nearly as elegant, creepy, or well-acted.

• Sep 05, 2020

While respecting the relativity of the film viewing experience, I do not agree with those reviewers who argue this is not as good as they remember it. I've watched this movie many times and it only gets better with each new viewing. As a piece of socio-historical work we can see the humanization of the serial killer at the beginning of its arc and the pivot away from the slasher genre's "empty eyes of pure evil" that started with Halloween and the beginning of the systemic move towards the police procedural / realism / clinical analysis of psychopathy that ends with Hannibal Lecter as hero who only kills "people when they're not polite" to borrow a turn of phrase from Talking Heads. This movie got the ball rolling in that direction and is way better than the star-studded remake, Red Dragon, though fun to compare them I agree. Certainly not as epic a journey as Mann's greatest work, Heat, but well worth the time both as pure entertainment and social information/history.

• Aug 27, 2020

If you've seen Red Dragon, Manhunter plays as its smaller, and altogether more inferior little brother.

• Aug 21, 2020

The gritty and disturbing source material of this, one of the first "profiler" dramatizations based on Thomas Harris' book Red Dragon, is superbly counterbalanced by a strong and stylish visual style chosen by Michael Mann. Both make the film both compelling and distanced. The pop score sometimes works against it (it was marketed with Mann's creation of Miami Vice leveraged heavily), but it still delivers a big punch many many years after it's been eclipsed by Silence of the Lambs (a completely different type of film) and other works. Brian Cox as Lekter remains a high point ... he's chilling and affable all at once, far scarier for my money than Anthony Hopkins' turn in the role.