The Odd Couple Reviews

• Jul 18, 2020

The stars have always worked well off each other and this is them at the best,

The stars have always worked well off each other and this is them at the best,

• Jun 28, 2020

Very, very funny. Love the Pigeon sisters.

Very, very funny. Love the Pigeon sisters.

• Feb 22, 2020

Hilarious.. I have been addicted to the odd couple ever since..

Hilarious.. I have been addicted to the odd couple ever since..

• Nov 30, 2019

It's hilarious and it's beautifully made as well.

It's hilarious and it's beautifully made as well.

• Jun 14, 2019

Love love LOVE THIS! Can't believe it took me so long to see it!

Love love LOVE THIS! Can't believe it took me so long to see it!

• Dec 04, 2018

This goes great with a sandwich.

This goes great with a sandwich.

• Jun 26, 2018

Jack Lemmon and Walter Matthau are comedy legends. While the concept of The Odd Couple was solid on its own, I’m still not convinced it would have been as much of a cultural phenomenon (even to the point of inspiring TV spin-offs and a movie sequel) if not for the talent of the two lead actors. These guys elevate the material to greatness because they have a perfect handle on the characters, and have great chemistry with one another. Matthau in particular was born to play the irascible slob who can’t put up with a lovelorn neat freak. Somehow he makes being aggravated hilarious, and normally I’d be annoyed by a likable guy dealing with constant frustration (it’s one of my least favorite plot devices in film.) The other actors in the film are also delightful, particularly Monica Evans and Carole Shelley as the ditzy girls next door. One of the problems I have with The Odd Couple (and this isn’t a flaw in the film, just a personal issue) is that the plot is lackluster and needed more going on. But I’m convinced it only felt that way to me because I saw many episodes of both the original TV series and the recent remake. Having all that familiarity with these characters before made this film feel like an extended episode of the show, instead of something wholly original. I know this isn’t the movie’s fault, since it came out before all of that other stuff, but when the movie was ending I couldn’t believe that was all we got for a story (a lot of things I already knew and not much resolution.) I still enjoyed the way the plot was presented, and the confrontations between Oscar and Felix are great in this version, I think I was just expecting something more. Along with the cast, the dialogue makes The Odd Couple shine. It was obvious early in the film that this script was witty and smart. It doesn’t settle for a bunch of slapstick or crude jokes, instead it has people delivering lines that are actually written funny. I sometimes wonder if they should have made Oscar a bit more of an obnoxious slob, though. For most of the movie it seems like Felix is always in the wrong. He’s the one overreacting, he’s the one who can’t stop nagging, he’s the one who obsesses over every little detail, so it feels natural to assume he’s the antagonist. I think the dynamic of the film would be a bit stronger if both guys were annoying, so they are both right and wrong at the same time. That being said, I forgave a lot with The Odd Couple because it made me laugh several times, plus Jack Lemmon and Walter Matthau are nearly perfect in every single scene. Ranking on my Flickchart Wins against Paul Wins against Manhunter Loses to Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle Loses to Glengarry Glen Ross Loses to Ordet Wins against Safety Not Guaranteed Loses to Four Weddings and a Funeral Loses to Her Loses to Ruggles of Red Gap Loses to The Muppets Take Manhattan Loses to A Night to Remember The Odd Couple ranked 371 out of 1591

• Mar 12, 2018

La perfetta sintonia dei due personaggi principali è sicuramente la parte migliore del film, con una coppia di attori che coinvolge, diverte ed emoziona dall'inizio alla fine. Il film non annoia mai, interessa lo spettatore fin dall'inizio e lo fa ridere grazie ad una sceneggiatura brillante con dialoghi piacevoli e fluidi. Verso la seconda parte della pellicola c'è il picco del divertimento, in un finale strano e inaspettato. "La strana coppia" è sicuramente una commedia imperdibile, un film caratteristico che non va dimenticato.

• Feb 04, 2018

Lemmon and Matthau are great!

Lemmon and Matthau are great!

• Aug 12, 2017

This comedy based on a stage play is fun and entertaining from start till end. Featuring solid performance all round, a witty script and perfect timing, this movie provides many laugh-out-loud moments. The scene with the Pigeon sisters is particularly funny.