Promised Land - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Promised Land Reviews

February 21, 2017
Grade - C
There's really nothing that special about this movie. Matt Damon's on autopilot, and the saving grace is that Gus Van Sant has made a good looking movie. That being said, you could do worse.
November 27, 2016
The reviews for this one weren't great, but I enjoyed it and am glad I watched it. The script is written by co-stars Matt Damon and John Krasinski and it's directed by Gus Can Sant. It tackles and environment issue of fracking and felt real and thoughtful.. Excellent supporting cast includes Hal Holbrook and Frances McDormand. Worth a watch in my opinion.
½ November 22, 2016
I personally think this film is really great!! One of the best dramas in awhile about morality vs money! Matt Damon's acting continues to be excellent!
½ October 28, 2016
Damon and Krasinski wrote the screenplay for this Gus Van Sant diatribe against fracking; the film comes across as noble and boring.
October 16, 2016
Oversimplifying? Yes. Not cutting to the heart of the matter? Correct. Did I enjoy watching this movie? Hell yes.
½ September 8, 2016
Nella sua semplicitÓ Prosimed Land offre una trama piuttosto lineare ed interessante. Poco pi¨ di un ora e mezza passa veloce grazie ad una sceneggiatura pulita e piuttosto accademica: anche se non brilla, questo film resta una discreta e coinvolgente storia che tutti possono apprezzare.
August 26, 2016
A great cast with fun chemistry working with a script that's both preachy and contrived.
½ August 10, 2016
Looks and feels like a tv movie. The plot is too easy and even the twist was predictable at the end. Makes me feel like punching them all in the face, them english liars. Could work as tv film for kids I guess.
½ August 1, 2016
This was pretty good. Slow moving on some parts.
July 19, 2016
Promised Land sets up a clash of ideals between Matt Damon and John Krasinski but that never comes to fruition and instead tries to pull over a clever twist that doesn't work.
½ April 23, 2016
A visually beautiful film to look at but the story is so over the top unbelievable, it's laughable. "Big bad energy company controls, and therefore, destroys, the world". Oh come on now... This could have been a Michael Moore film.
April 14, 2016
Great movie about fracking
March 31, 2016
why couldnt it just end when john krasinski spilled his secret? it would have made for a better ending
½ March 23, 2016
The film was interesting for some time but the overall theme of the show is messy. The twist from Global and one of the characters was brilliant. I'm a little shocked by the negative reviews as the film has a very topical issue and great casting. I think Gus Van Sants direction might throw people off but I enjoyed the movie and will recommend it to anyone.
½ March 16, 2016
Vedi Nebraska e l'Altra America di cui si parlava.
½ January 19, 2016
You can't lose a game that's still being played.

A salesman and his female colleague head into a small farming community to try and convince them to vote for a natural gas power plant to be built. There are some that are very against the movement, but the town really needs the money. A group arrives to thwart the salesman and convince the town to vote against the power company. Things become intense as the vote night approaches.

"It's just a job."

Gus Van Sant, director of Good Will Hunting, Milk, Finding Forrester, Elephant, Paranoid Park, Restless, The Sea of Trees, My Own Private Idaho, and To Die For, delivers Promised Land. The storyline for this picture is fantastic with wonderfully written and delivered characters. This has a Fargo feel to it in some ways. The cast delivers awesome performances and include Matt Damon, Frances McDormand, Hal Holbrook, Joe Coyle, and Benjamin Sheeler.

"I'm going to let you figure out how stupid that sounded."

I recently came across this on HBOGO and had been meaning to see it for some time. This was way better than I anticipated. The characters are intense and well written and the stories and subplots are very well delivered. I really recommend seeing this.

"I'm not a bad guy."

Grade: A-
½ January 6, 2016
For the most part, this is an engaging and thought-provoking drama with excellent dialogue and complex characters facing complex ethical issues, but it is terribly frustrating to see it all reach an unjustifiable revelation and an unconvincing - yet thematically consistent - conclusion.
October 12, 2015
Simple movie, some really noteworthy moments, but overall just a pretty good film nothing to write home about.
October 9, 2015
This is an earnest and pleasant enough movie from Gus Van Sant. In Promised Land, Matt Damon and Frances McDormond play representatives of a fracking company, sent to a small town in the American mid-west in order to persuade the locals to sell them their farms in order that they can be developed. They have no trouble putting their case forward to the poor, rural com until a local science teacher raises objections and it is decided that the town will hold a vote to determine the fate of the town. The two executives face further problems when an environmental campaigner shows up hoping to paint the frackers as the bad guys. It is a fairly simple tale with uncomplicated characters. Damon's character believes in what he's doing in order to bring economic prosperity to the community while the locals opposed to him are doing so in order to preserve a landscape, heritage and way of life. There are some attempts to add depth to the plot by making a bit of a twist part way through, though, to be honest, it isn't that much of a surprise. It's always a joy to watch Matt Damon and I particularly like Frances McDormond as an actress but neither of them are particularly stretched by this movie which plays in a very predictable and linear manner. A shame as I think there's an important story to be told by this modern situation and I think it could have been handled with more care which could have brought us a really thought-provoking movie.