The Razor's Edge Reviews

• Jun 09, 2019

Good lessons and I thought great acting in this movie. The rarely serious Bill Murray does a great job of portraying an man not only searching for himself, but how he fits in the scheme the world has in store for him. IMHO Some serious life-lessons learned and due to its' pleasant lack of gratuitous sex or gorey violence, it's a great opportunity to have a serious talk with your children.

• Oct 20, 2018

To all the people who don't get this movie. It doesn't matter. It just doesn't matter. There is something deeper then i think many people will see in this film that lies u nderneath it. And either that thread rings true, or it doesn't for some i guess. For me it is a profound message that i have come back to now several different times in my life. It is such a statement about the meaning in life, and what is and isn't of importance. While many seem to think his lack of seriousness at times in the movie is at odds with the movie, but to me, it is because Bill Murray deep down embodies the deeper ideas of the film that the film works even more in my opinion. So if you don't see life in the way Bill Murray does, you will not necessarily I think get the film. Which is too bad, because to me, it is his best film. I love his other work, but this one is the only film i come back too. Groundhog Day was brilliant for other reasons, but not nearly the depth of this film. It is one of my top favorite films along side Shawshank Redemption and others which also I feel take on some of the ideas of eastern philosophy and spirituality. So for those who are deciding whether to see it or not, I can only promise you that if you are the right person, it will definitely be a very deeply felt film. It is worth finding out I think.

• Nov 19, 2017

Unlike many I enjoyed this version as much as the original. Rumor has it that Bill Murray wanted to change the time line to the Vietnam era. He wanted to have Larry Darrell come back with PTSD and go looking for peace in India. I think that would have made a better movie because Murray is a modern guy and there are definite parallels between what some experienced post WWI and Vietnam. Instead of being a drunk his friend would have been a drug addict. It would have worked, but the studio did not want to make the film and would not approve a modern script. Big mistake.

• Aug 23, 2017

I think this is one of the best films ever made. And one of the most beautiful. Who would have thought a film about a man trying to find himself would be so good. But it is. There are moments of real emotion, tenderness and tragedy, and a heartbreaking ending. And the score ties it all up nicely. I would easily put this in the top 100 films ever made. Well done Bill Murray

• Aug 18, 2017

The greatest film ever made. If you can't see why, you just... don't... get it. It doesn't matter. It doesn't matter.

• Aug 10, 2017

This is one of my favorite movies of all time. I think that puts me a very small group of people. I have no particular words of wisdom as to why I liked it so much but I have watched it about five or six times and it still gets me.

• Jan 04, 2017

My favorite movie of all time

My favorite movie of all time

• May 13, 2016

A vastly underrated film. A fine cast, with superb cinematography, not to mention Jack Nitzsche's symphonic score.

• Jan 17, 2016

In recent years Bill Murray has proven he can handle serious dramatic roles, so I was naturally curious to see this precursor to those roles. This was something of a passion project for Murray, who both stars in and co-wrote the script. Fun fact: the only way he could get this movie financed was to promise to appear in Ghostbusters, which started filming days after he got back from India. Despite this passion, the film bombed (commercially and critically) and drove Murray into a temporary retirement. Being familiar with his more serious work I was naturally curious at this. Were the critics of the time being overly harsh because of his comedic background? Yes and no. Murray handles the dramatic scenes with aplomb, conveying that sense of profound melancholy that we saw in Lost in Translation. The scenes where he's required to show real emotion are his best in the film. There's a moment by himself in a hut where he has to carry the scene with no words which stands out particularly. Unfortunately, he doesn't seem to trust himself to be interesting without his comedic persona. Thus we find him at times acting at odds with the journey he's supposed to be on. A scene with him yucking it up in a Himalayan village is a particularly egregious example. If he had the self-confidence to trust in the material or his own ability to be interesting without humor this would have been a much better film. The problems aren't all acting though. The script makes some odd choices that dampen the drama. For a start, it's very episodic. We jump around quite a bit with no setup and no direction. The biggest problem though, is probably the fact that the film chooses to keep its distance from Murray's spiritual quest, instead relying on the viewing him through other characters' reactions. I don't get why it does this. The scenes where we see his struggle are among the best in the film. When it avoids them it's often unclear what his struggle's with at all. This is making it sound bad. It's not. The journey itself is an interesting one and takes us through a surprising number of locations. The acting is generally good and the cinematography is nice. It also has that rare enthusiasm that only comes when people are truly excited about what they're doing. It's not perfect but it's interesting, and not only because it's Murray's first attempt at serious drama.

• Jan 14, 2016

I saw this some time ago and had a hard time with it. Perhaps I will give it another chance.