Rocky - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Rocky Reviews

February 18, 2017
seen all the others, grew up watching them, muct be another masterpiece
February 14, 2017
With Sylvester Stallone's unforgettable performance as the titular character, a good script, an amazing soundtrack (with the theme song "Gonna Fly Now" leading to one of the best cinematic montages ever) and some iconic sequences, Rocky is one of the best, if not necessarily THE best, inspirational sports dramas to date. This movie will certainly have you going the distance. If it doesn't, I don't know what will.
February 12, 2017
If you don't like this movie, you're either a cynical prick or just some nitwit who is pissed off because he didn't win the fight at the end.
½ February 7, 2017
Believe it or not but I hadn't seen this film until now. I'm not a fan of boxing, so have no interest in boxing related movies. This film was okay, but not as good as many would claim IMO. Maybe it was back in the day, but not in 2016.
January 10, 2017
A heartwarming story of an everyday amateur that gets his chance and makes the most of it. Stallone gives an incredible performance, even if he is hard to understand sometimes.
½ December 23, 2016
I will have to give this film a 4.5 rating. This movie is really good. Although the story is a bit slow, the acting is exceptional, the characters are memorable, and the script is fine. Sylvester Stallone did a fantastic job as Rocky Balboa, the main character in this film. This is such a great film, and if you haven't already watched this movie, I suggest you do.
½ December 21, 2016
What makes this underdog story so special is that it is not just a mere "guy movie" about boxing but instead a touching and profoundly honest drama about a man and his personal struggle to go the distance and be the best he can - and Stallone's performance is superb.
December 1, 2016
Had to watch this after watching Creed. This is such a great movie. The story is a bit slow-going, but good nonetheless. I think I enjoy it more each time I watch it, or at least certain elements of the film seem new or fresh after re-watching it every so often.
November 16, 2016
A movie that I certainly expected more boxing in, but pleasantly surprised to find that this was more of a character study of gentle giant Balboa and his ambitions, his awkward romance with Adrian, and how he relates to the world around him. Weathers is as usual amazing.
November 3, 2016
The best boxing film of all time!
October 27, 2016
John G. Avildsen's now classic boxing melodrama is without doubt the greatest underdog story in cinematic history. It concerns a 30 year old, two-bit club fighter from Philadelphia named Rocky Balboa, played brilliantly and with true conviction by Sylvester Stallone in a breakout performance that earned him a richly deserved Academy Award nomination for Best Actor. Rocky gets a supremely rare "million-to-one shot" for fame in a championship bout against the Heavyweight Champion of the World, Apollo Creed, played terrifically by Carl Weathers. It is Apollo who dreams up this publicity stunt to give a nobody a title shot during the bicentennial celebration of America. No one takes Rocky serious, but he trains hard with his old trainer Mickey Goldmill, played sensationally by the late great veteran character actor Burgess Meredith in memorable turn that earned him an Academy Award nomination for Best Supporting Actor. Rocky will gain his self-respect and prove to everyone that he can go the distance. The lovely Talia Shire received an Academy Award nomination for Best Actress for her marvelous performance as Adrian, the painfully shy pet store worker who falls in love with Rocky, and Burt Young received an Academy Award nomination for Best Supporting Actor for his superlative performance as Adrian's older brother Pauline who is a pain-in-the-ass drunkard. Skillful Academy Award winning direction by Avildsen, with a compelling Academy Award nominated original screenplay by Stallone, and an evocative Academy Award nominated score by Bill Conti. A triumphant film that is so inspiring and moving, it perfectly demonstrates the strength of the human spirit to overcome all odds. This low-budget cinematic gem became a surprise mega-hit box office sensation at the time of it's release and was followed by 5 sequels and a 2015 spin-off hit sequel "Creed." Winner of 3 Academy Awards including Best Picture. Highly recommended.
October 18, 2016
"I dunno. She's got gaps, I got gaps, together we fill gaps."
October 15, 2016
Rocky is a great movie with a buch of cool scenes in them. Rocky is my favorite out of them all because it is well of course the original and it has some good quotes and stuff like that. Rocky (Sylvester Stallone) plays the role so good in this movie. Rocky does not have much to do in life he has one friend named Paulie (Burt Young), he likes this girl named Adrian (Talia Shire) that is shy, and has a trainer named Mickey (Burgess Meredith) who doesn't have really nobody to train. So when the Champion Apollo Creed (Carl Weathers) picks Rocky to fight Rocky decides he will fight him. While Rocky is training while trying to get Adrian to like her. So near the end of the Movie he trains with a great song Gonna fly now and run the Philadelphia Art Museum steps and rises his arms. Then Rocky says all he wants is to go the distance with Creed because he knows he can't win. When he fights Apollo Creed Apollo Creed thinks he does not have a chance to win so he goes more easy on Rocky and tries to make it a show. Rocky ends up knocking Creed down and losing the fight but doesn't care because he want the distance. This is a great movie 5 stars
October 5, 2016
C'mon, this is everything a movie should be!
September 22, 2016
Unbelievably effective still, for a movie made 40 years ago. So many gritty hallmarks of '70s cinema meet a completely offbeat premise that isn't afraid to mix meat bag street life with lofty, almost twee romanticism. Sad it took me so long to watch this, given my love for Rocky IV, Rocky V (ironically - Tommy Gunn baby!) and Creed.
½ September 19, 2016
Yes, this is the first time I've ever seen any of the Rocky films. I'm actually surprised that, despite how popular this film is and how many lines I recognized from it, I didn't know exactly how it was going to end. The movie is certainly a powerful underdog story. I like the idea of the every-man facing a foe who is way out of his league. But that's basically the last act of this film. Prior to that there is a lot of time spent setting up Rocky as a character. Sylvester Stallone is probably the perfect actor to play this guy who is really rough around the edges that needs a lot work to become the man he is at the end. I loved Carl Weathers as the Muhammad Ali type, and they did some good things to show the contrast of his preparation for the fight versus Rocky's. The relationship with Adrian is obviously of vital importance for Rocky as a character, so I kind of rolled with it, even though that's the kind of stuff I usually find unnecessary in sports movies. The makeup effects were effective and authentic when they were getting bruised and battered in the boxing ring. I'm not as confident about the actual boxing itself. It was very hit-and-miss...literally. Occasionally it was way too obvious that the punches were not connecting, which takes me out of the film a little bit. I was also a little surprised how bland the training sequences seemed. Considering how that run up the steps has become one of the most iconic moments in movie history, I thought I'd be more pumped up but I wasn't feeling it. Despite all my minor complaints I still enjoyed most aspects of the movie, but my biggest struggle was actually with the character Paulie. His presence in the film was an irritant at best, and I didn't think they gave him anything of value to do in the plot. This was not the fault of Burt Young, but the character just did nothing for me. Yet the movie is definitely a good David-and-Goliath story, and I can see how people formed nostalgic attachments to it. I doubt it will ever be something I latch onto, and it's unlikely I'll dig deeper into the franchise, but finally marking this legendary film off my list-of-shame felt good.
½ September 14, 2016
This is the original, the OG, the Rocky Balboa we all know and love. While I may have enjoyed some of the sequels more than the original at the time.... With time, you'll find this was the best one. Gritty and raw, it is a film student's must watch to have a complete grasp on how we got to the movies we see today.
September 6, 2016
Classic. One of the best movies every made.
½ August 10, 2016
The 6th... maybe 5th best boxing movie of all time.