Scarface - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Scarface Reviews

July 17, 2017
1983's Scarface Is One Of My Favorite Films.
May 10, 2017
Loosely based on Al Capone's ascent to the top of the Chicago rackets. This is an absurdly entertaining movie despite its age. Paul Muni's acting style wouldn't look out of place in a modern film and Anne Dvorak is pretty impressive too. Some of the other cast members are less convincing though. A classic from the early 30s that holds up well when so many others of the time were making an awkward transition from the silent film conventions.
½ September 17, 2016
Not the Al Pacino one, but an amazing movie regardless.
½ May 30, 2016
This early gangster movie was sort of based on Al Capone's life. The first half maybe but the second half is fiction. Al Capone was still running the mob in Chicago when this movie was made. The story is based on the bootleggers in Chicago and was considered controversial at the time. Compared to modern movies this movie is tame.
½ May 14, 2016
An early mob film which doesn't involve Jimmy Cagney, for a change. Obviously highly influential but still not too exciting. What's interesting is that the filmmakers make a point of stating that they are only showing all these atrocities as a protest to the government at the time as a demand for them to sort out the Mafia.
½ May 9, 2016
Featuring an unsettling performance by Paul Muni and surprisingly graphic violence for its time, "Scarface" did what few films before it had done; raised awareness about a contemporary issue. Though the film itself is somewhat bland, the fact that "Scarface" single-handedly started the gangster-film genre and its historical significance make it a classic and a must-see.
½ April 29, 2016
Because of films like this, we call the 30s, and 40s, the golden age.
½ February 16, 2016
I can't say I gravitate toward watching movies on organized crime, but this was one is excellent for its realism, critique (of government/law enforcement) and sharp dialogue. The story and characters are engaging from end to end and given the time period in which it was made, I am surprised by its provocativeness. The brother-sister scenes make me squirm! I would've liked better resolution for the Tony-Poppy dynamic. There's all this build up and then it abruptly drops off.
January 17, 2016
Good movie and a
great start to the gangster genre.
January 7, 2016
An anti gangster film, a classical too.
January 1, 2016
I really enjoyed this old classic gangster movie, the original Scarface. I watched it in Film class and gave a presentation on it.
October 17, 2015
The film is pretty well done by 1930's standards, and also, because this is a Howard Hawks classic that practically started to establish the whole gangster film genre, so kudos for that.
½ August 14, 2015
Solid, defining Gangster picture. Paul Muni sneers and mumbles his way to the top, but that can never last forever...
July 6, 2015
One of the greatest gangster pictures ever made, the 1932 Scarface is a brutal, violent masterpiece whose moral quandaries are nothing short of honest and its carnage nothing short of tragic.
½ July 4, 2015
A really good movie that would be great with a better star. I hate Paul Muni. He's all about accents and funny wigs ... a truly terrible actor. He sits at the center of this magnificent little gangster film and almost ruins it for me.
April 25, 2015
Scarface is a bold, pre-code gangster film which rarely pulls its punches. It is an interesting case because its critics accused it of glorifying the lifestyle, yet it begins with a not so subtle call to arms over gang warfare and that ideology is reinforced throughout the film. It is a compelling piece of work and in all likelihood its importance in prefiguring the modern crime film is somewhat understated.
March 6, 2015
Boring, only bc I'm so used to modern day movies. However, I do own this original flick bc I have the Scarface Collector's Special Boxed Set.
February 18, 2015
This gangster film from 1932 is pretty badass. In my opinion Tony Camonte is a bigger badass than Tony Montana is. I've never been a huge fan of the 1983 remake, but the original is awesome... Tommy-Guns, Bootleggers, Gang Wars, Black and White Cinematography, and a more concise story...this movie is definitely the better picture. Its story, lead character, and some of the events are based on the real life events, most notably Al Capone. The movie is a classic, definitely worth a look, and superior in many ways to the remake starring Al Pacino.
½ February 12, 2015
Hawks is a true visionary. The remake is far superior, but the foundations that made it great came from Hawks.
February 7, 2015
Like most everyone I know, I saw the 1983 remake first, but I was thoroughly impressed with this original once I finally saw it. The remake actually stays fairly true to this one and for being made in the early 1930s, this one is still tough for today's audiences!