Shadow of a Doubt - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Shadow of a Doubt Reviews

September 30, 2016
One of the really good Hitchcock thrillers. Joseph Cotten is so creepy at the second dinner table scene in which the camera tracks in on him. That close up is just so effective. Nice.
½ September 11, 2016
However preposterous this film may be, Alfred Hitchcock's "Shadow of a Doubt" is a tense, competent thriller.
½ August 19, 2016
A noir by Alfred Hitchcock, "Shadow of a Doubt" is one of the iconic director's greatest films.
½ August 2, 2016
While slightly overrated, Shadow of A Doubt just screams (pun intended) classic! I'll probably give this film five stars upon second viewing.
July 17, 2016
My Favorite Hitchcock movie.
June 5, 2016
I give this an A+/97.
April 20, 2016
Featuring a seriously incestuous vibe from beginning to end, Alfred Hitchcock's classic film Shadow of a Doubt is a fantastic noirish crime thriller. Featuring all of Hitchock's trademarks, namely his phenomenal use of suspense and mystery, as well as his willingness to keep his characters and audience entirely in the dark, Shadow of a Doubt is a true winner. Featuring a very strong female lead in Teresa Wright, Shadow of a Doubt is oddly feminist even if some dialogue is incredibly sexist (though these characters do not leave unscathed). The writing and overall look here can look quite dated by today's standards, but Hitchcock's wit and style will forever be timeless and it is on full display here with this spellbinding tale of murder.
½ April 11, 2016
A goodun. Though I have issues with some of the plotting. Starts off so tremendously strong though. And never really gets 'bad' per se. Just gets a little Hitchcock eye roll-y. Some of the ways the characters behave, it's like come on, no. But yeah, it's good. I like Trouble With Harry better though because it's like, Hitchcock having gained a Todd Solondz-esque awareness of his own silly shit like that. I like how tongue-in-cheek that one is. Oh, have I mentioned that I want to marry Teresa Wright?
½ March 29, 2016
The title's doubt grows in us much before it is planted inside the character's mind halfway through this superbly-written story, which is a testament to how this tense, suspenseful mystery is slowly and carefully built in what is one of Hitchcock's most steadily-paced thrillers.
½ March 25, 2016
This was Hitchcock's personal favourite?? Okay then.
March 9, 2016
Alfred Hitchcock's personal favourite film has none of the showiness of his more popular classics. It is a finely told coming-of-age story of a young woman in a moral dilemma when she discovers immense adoration and unimaginable menace can emanate from the same person.
February 20, 2016
Hitchcock's first all-American feature finds its home in the world of white picket fences and apple trees where he attempts to show what happens when a darker world enters there. I'm all for slow burners, and this one has its moments, and a splendid performance from Joseph Cotton, but far too much time is spent on the trivialities of American small town life, triteness cannot sustain interest throughout nearly two hours, and there's a little sense anything has changed once we leave there. This story would have been better suited to an hour long Alfred Hitchcock Presents episode, although this wouldn't be an option for another decade.
½ January 23, 2016
Shot on location, Shadow of a Doubt showcases Hitchcock's mastery of suspense, selective angles and mysterious characters. Added to this is a surprising amount of humour and a charming insight into small-town America. An unmissable classic!
January 17, 2016
While the script and storyline were thoroughly thought out, uncle Charlie's character wasn't. If uncle Charlie would've been represented as a killer with a deeper meaning behind his murders, and if it would've been explained why he dislikes wealthy women so much (instead of just hating them out of the blue), AND if young Charlie showed more grief after killing him, then I would have given 'Shadow of a doubt' a full on 5 star rating, since the acting and storytelling is beautifully done.
January 3, 2016
Alfred Hitchcock directed over 50 films in his long career, spanning six decades and leaving an amazing body of work behind, but of them all Shadow of a Doubt was his personal favorite. The film is wonderfully paced, really allowing the tension to build up to a boiling point by the film's second half. The framing is very trademark Hitchcock and really adds to the atmosphere and establishes character's personalities as well as their relationships with one another. Joseph Cotten with his powerful stature and sophisticated look appears to be the dreamy uncle that is both rich and confident when he enters back into the life of his family. Not too long into the film though we see some strange and freighting behavior from his character and it's then that we know things aren't as they seem. We eventually find out that there is a murderer on the loose who has killed several other women and claimed their inheritances. Without spoiling the whole film's story, I will say that the film does a great job of conveying mystery and letting the viewer figure out the pieces little by little over the course of the film.
As a suspense film Shadow of a Doubt excels and really sets the whole mood and personality of the film itself, but that isn't to say that it doesn't do other things well. For example, the little girl in the film is hilarious as a young know-it-all. Her monotone delivery of advice and information is very funny and helps balance the darker elements of the film. All the actors do a wonderful job, especially Joseph Cotten in the leading role and Teresa Wright as the young Charlie, Uncle Charlie's niece. Without Cotten's masculinity and the framing style of Hitchcock making him all the more menacing as well as the dark and well written dialogue, the film could have failed to really drive up the terror factor. Luckily, this is not the case at all and we are left with a truly terrifying and ruthless villain who really gives the film it's powerful impact.
Shadow of a Doubt succeeds in all areas and manages to be one of Hitchcock's top films even though it's lesser known then other works such as Vertigo, Rear Window, Psycho, The Birds, etc. If you are a fan of Hitchcock and haven't heard or seen this one, it certainly is worth a watch and is a great film worth seeing! I highly recommend it!
December 8, 2015
Thrilling movie that don't need a crazy AF villain as movie nowadays.
December 5, 2015
Interesting older movie. Good characters and well made. The initial relationship between the two Charlie's was slightly disturbing. Lol. Could be just how my mind works though.
I would say this was a more innocent time, but perhaps not when all is revealed.
The annoying younger sister was amusing and the young Charlie was quite endearing also. Black and white always looks so stylish too.
½ August 12, 2015
A genuine classic of Hitchcock's when putting suspicious suspense within the family circle that brings little thrills and strengthening power, but the stubborn and weak behavior brought this down below the master of suspense's standards to an average-valued film. (B)

(Full review coming soon - with better wording probably)
August 4, 2015
Overrated Hitchcock thriller with excellent performances from the entire cast including Joseph Cotten as a psychopath, Teresa Wright as the niece that grows suspicious of her uncle.

The film fascinates throughout, but critics seems to overlook a number of plot imperfections that give me much more than a shadow of a doubt that this is Hitchcock's most brilliant film as some critics contend.

Still worth the look especially for the staging of certain scenes between Cotten and Wright.