A Shot in the Dark - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A Shot in the Dark Reviews

½ April 22, 2016
While there are some genuinely funny moments, the plot is very week and the film does not hold up in its old age.
½ April 6, 2016
Not as consistent in tone as the first film in the series, but Seller's impeccable brilliance and Blake's nuanced directing make for a near perfect pair despite.
½ February 25, 2016
Peter Sellers is back as Inspector Clouseau in this sequel to The Pink Panther that now revolves around him. He is called in to solve a murder in the mansion of rich George Sanders, presumably committed by Elke Sommer who is caught more-or-less red-handed. However, Clouseau believes she is innocent, probably for no good reason. As you would expect, there is heaps of slapstick and awkward moments. Burt Kwouk plays Clouseau's butler, ready to attack him (for training purposes) at any moment. Herbert Lom is Commissioner Dreyfus, Clouseau's commanding officer, cracking up with every Clouseau accident that occurs but unable to bring himself to remove Clouseau from the case. Although there is a mystery plot - and all the suspects are brought together into one room at the end for Clouseau to announce the murderer - there is actually no real plot to speak of. Instead, we just get some great set-ups for laughs (particularly, the nudist colony scene), where perhaps my anticipation sometimes outweighed the actual jokes. Still this is better than the first film.
½ October 4, 2015
This sequel to The Pink Panther contains some classic comedy and funny scenes, largely centred around Sellers.
½ September 12, 2015
I struggled to get into Sellers' buffoonery. Grows tired unlike the original
February 1, 2015
Fortunate and hilarous murder mystery.Peter Sellers funny as ever in the suit of dimwit Clouseau
½ January 29, 2015
The original and the best of the Pink Panther collection. Full review later.
January 20, 2015
Realmente muy divertida secuela de la Pantera Rosa, Blake Edwards y Peter Sellers unos genios.
½ December 29, 2014
(90%)
Perhaps the most funny murder mysteries to hit cinema featuring Peter Sellers in brilliant form as the world's most clumsy police officer. Out of all the Pink Panther movies this is the most playfully cartoonish (in a good way) with visits to a nudist colony leading to Clouseau to wander around in the nip with only a guitar to cover his modesty, and the part in which he is undercover as a hunter is strait from the animated series; and it all works so well. The romantic elements are also very well handled giving Cluseau another layer of character rather than simply keeping him as simple, foolish clown. This one of the very best comedy movies out there, and a high mark in the series.
October 18, 2014
Too much stupid humor.
September 20, 2014
I really enjoyed it. Classic clever slapstick Peter Sellers Jacque Clousseau. 09/20/14
August 12, 2014
For my money, this is the pinnacle of the Pink Panther series. Sellers is totally insane and his pantomime rivals Chaplain or Fields.
June 14, 2014
I own this on DVD in an eight movie pack along with:
* The Pink Panther (1963)
* The Pink Panther Strikes Again (1976)
* The Revenge Of The Pink Panther (1978)
* Trail Of The Pink Panther (1982)
* Curse Of The Pink Panther (1983)
* The Pink Panther (2006)
* The Pink Panther 2 (2009)
½ May 18, 2014
Probably the best of them all.
½ May 8, 2014
Peter Sellers gives an outstanding hilarious performance in one of his most famous characters in this movie. There are many really funny moments, characters and scenes. Herbert Lom is also great in a supporting role. I highly recommend this hilarious comedy.
April 19, 2014
Sellers remains perfect as the bumbling inspector, but A Shot in the Dark isn't as consistently funny as it should be.
February 9, 2014
Absolutely laugh till it hurts hilarious
½ February 8, 2014
There are some wonderful comedic moments in this film, but they're too few and far between in this slow-paced movie.
December 26, 2013
After stealing the show in The Pink Panther, Peter Sellers reprised his role as the clumsy French Inspector Jacques Clouseau for another outing in Blake Edward's sequel A Shot in the Dark. Here, he investigates on a parlour maid and her lover. A Shot in the Dark is arguably even better than its predecessor because it has a freer and more natural lenience towards the comedic side, not least of all because of Seller's presence and his comic power and imponence. There is in fact more room for slapstick and laughs. But it's also a rather intelligent and witty screenplay that differentiates this film from other similar ones being made at the time and its wit and upbeat tempo ensure it to be an entertaining experience from start to finish.
December 26, 2013
I recently re visited the original Pink Panther, I can't say I overly enjoyed it, and the only reason I give it only half a star less than this is the charming ending won me over. Overall, A Shot In the Dark is more up my alley for what I want in a Peter Sellers, Pink Panther movie. This is far more foc film used on comedic elements with the clumsy Clouseau. I'm in a minority who thinks the two modern Pink Panther are hilarious, and would pick them over the classics. I did enjoy this though, and the nudist colony scene may just be the best I've seen in a Panther film (thus far)