A Star is Born Reviews

• Aug 07, 2020

Decent but definitely dated. Not as hard-core and in your face like the Bradley Cooper version. A sifter version is what I would call it. Some parts were very good, but man others weren't and there were too many extended scenes in this movie that added only to the rub time. It could've easily been 45 minutes shorter. I'll give it credit, the ending was way better than the Cooper version.

• Jul 16, 2020

Not as good as the original but I think it is 2nd best.

Not as good as the original but I think it is 2nd best.

• Jun 30, 2020

When a local singer is discovered by a big time star, she finds that her time in the spotlight isn't all she expected it to be. Acting: 10 While I wasn't in love with Barbara Streisand's lead role of Esther Hoffman, she did alright for the most part. I'll just say it was a little bit better than bearable. I'm never one to say an actor has to knock it out of the park, but they can't be so bad as to take me out of the movie. For any of her shortcomings Kris Kristofferson made up for it playing the alcoholic musician John Norman Howard. He definitely carries the chemistry between the two. Beginning: 10 Solid kickoff as you are immediately engaged with John's character and his shortcomings as a man. You can see this guy is a trainwreck and anyone that gets close to him will probably be brought down too. While I have seen the previous two versions before this one, it made me interested to see how they would tackle his struggles. Characters: 8 Cinematography/Visuals: 10 For what it's worth, I did like what director Frank R. Pierson did in showing Esther's life at home versus what the glamorous life looked like. Before she makes it big, and even in some of the quieter moments, there is peace, shots of calm and quiet. The road life is an entirely different animal, however, as heaps of fans cheer her on at every turn and you can feel just how overwhelming it is. I appreciated that stark contrast. Conflict: 7 Entertainment Value: 7 Throughout its 141-minute duration, A Star is Born definitely has its shining spots. Who doesn't love a good rags to riches story? In a twist you can see coming for some time, this is a rags to riches to mortal endings story. I enjoyed watching her rise to stardom although some parts were truly unbearable with John's character being such a total anus. It was over-the-top at times and took some of the enjoyment away. Memorability: 2 Pace: 6 Plot: 8 Resolution: 4 Overall: 72 Of the four versions, this is hands-down the weakest A Star is Born. It's not a horrible movie and I definitely wouldn't steer someone away from checking it out at least once. For me, it just doesn't stand the test of time.

• Apr 06, 2020

I couldn’t make it through this one . Bland. Seen the 2018 version first . Hard to go back . I expected better

• Jan 01, 2020

I have seen all 4 versions of this movie and my favorite is the 1976 version with Barbra and Kris. I don't know why the professional critics were so harsh in reviewing it. And I still own the original vinyl of the soundtrack, which I love.

• Aug 19, 2019

Not impressed ,chris and barbra do not conect,poor

Not impressed ,chris and barbra do not conect,poor

• Jun 19, 2019

Nothing about this works.

Nothing about this works.

• May 09, 2019

This is the third film titled A Star Is Born, and I would say it is probably the worst. It feels like very little in this movie worked, and without the history of watching 3 other versions of the story before this one, I’d probably be frustrated and confused about the story being told. Kristofferson and Streisand are not good in the film at all. Sometimes I’m annoyed by films where the leads have no chemistry, but these two were much worse than that. It was like trying to push two polarized magnets together: the closer they got, the more I was repelled by it. Also, Kristofferson cannot sing well at all, so putting him in the lead as a musician was painful. Then they try to integrate Streisand, but her style of music is so opposed to what he is doing I can’t figure out where the crossover fans would come from. The characters weren’t even likable, and the payoff at the end lacked any vibrancy. The final scene with Kristofferson’s character is particularly terrible when compared to any other version of this film, because it feels like an accident, so it sucks out all the emotional weight. There are a couple of good songs from Streisand that make the movie tolerable, including an Oscar Winning original that I quite like. Otherwise, this is a pretty bad movie, and I’m glad they’ve done it better before and since then.

• Apr 29, 2019

The best movie song ever sung: Evergreen!

The best movie song ever sung: Evergreen!

• Jan 24, 2019

Yuck, it reminds me why I hate the 70's.

Yuck, it reminds me why I hate the 70's.