Reviews

• Feb 27, 2022

I loved it when it first came out in 1976 and still one of my all time favorites! I don't understand who anyone could not love this movie as I do!

• Nov 05, 2021

Really terrible. Saw this when I was young person- age 22, just re-watched at age 68. First of all, Streisand and Kristofferson are utterly mismatched- zero chemistry and the acting is stiff, wooden and just bad. I think this was made at the zenith of Streisand's egotistical ride up the career ladder. Next came, Yentl- another megaton bomb. Even the music sucks- Evergreen- a pretty song is also utterly out of place.

• Jun 04, 2021

It's been very interesting watching the same basic story told 4 (or 5, really) different ways as each movie has had its own set of strengths and weaknesses, with this one probably being the oddest of them all. Perhaps tastes were different in '76 but to me they chose a guy near the top of the heap of dudes I'd enjoy looking like with the excellent beard, mop of hair and semi-permanent look of inebriation, then paired him with the most bizarrely unattractive leading lady I think I've ever seen in a movie. I've never been a Streisand stan and I disliked her Meet the Fockers role intensely, so there's probably some bias showing, but my goodness it's like they weren't even trying to make the love story believable here as the two don't seem remotely compatible with each other. She obviously sings quite good but the genre is jarringly different from Kristofferson's to the point where instead of appreciating her talent I found myself imagining having paid for a rock concert and having her be put on the stage instead. I like this story regardless what they did with it and Kristofferson's entire section of it was very well-done, but the nail in the coffin for me is that from my understanding there are roughly three million Grammy categories as I've never clicked on a musician's Wiki page and not seen them at least nominated for one, leaving the stakes of the movie incredibly low when compared to the ones where the main character wins an Oscar. I didn't mind the running time and they wrapped things up pretty quickly when Kris's character arc was finished, so it ends up not being the worst iteration of this story!

• Aug 07, 2020

Decent but definitely dated. Not as hard-core and in your face like the Bradley Cooper version. A sifter version is what I would call it. Some parts were very good, but man others weren't and there were too many extended scenes in this movie that added only to the rub time. It could've easily been 45 minutes shorter. I'll give it credit, the ending was way better than the Cooper version.

• Jul 16, 2020

Not as good as the original but I think it is 2nd best.

Not as good as the original but I think it is 2nd best.

• Jun 30, 2020

When a local singer is discovered by a big time star, she finds that her time in the spotlight isn't all she expected it to be. Acting: 10 While I wasn't in love with Barbara Streisand's lead role of Esther Hoffman, she did alright for the most part. I'll just say it was a little bit better than bearable. I'm never one to say an actor has to knock it out of the park, but they can't be so bad as to take me out of the movie. For any of her shortcomings Kris Kristofferson made up for it playing the alcoholic musician John Norman Howard. He definitely carries the chemistry between the two. Beginning: 10 Solid kickoff as you are immediately engaged with John's character and his shortcomings as a man. You can see this guy is a trainwreck and anyone that gets close to him will probably be brought down too. While I have seen the previous two versions before this one, it made me interested to see how they would tackle his struggles. Characters: 8 Cinematography/Visuals: 10 For what it's worth, I did like what director Frank R. Pierson did in showing Esther's life at home versus what the glamorous life looked like. Before she makes it big, and even in some of the quieter moments, there is peace, shots of calm and quiet. The road life is an entirely different animal, however, as heaps of fans cheer her on at every turn and you can feel just how overwhelming it is. I appreciated that stark contrast. Conflict: 7 Entertainment Value: 7 Throughout its 141-minute duration, A Star is Born definitely has its shining spots. Who doesn't love a good rags to riches story? In a twist you can see coming for some time, this is a rags to riches to mortal endings story. I enjoyed watching her rise to stardom although some parts were truly unbearable with John's character being such a total anus. It was over-the-top at times and took some of the enjoyment away. Memorability: 2 Pace: 6 Plot: 8 Resolution: 4 Overall: 72 Of the four versions, this is hands-down the weakest A Star is Born. It's not a horrible movie and I definitely wouldn't steer someone away from checking it out at least once. For me, it just doesn't stand the test of time.

• Apr 06, 2020

I couldn’t make it through this one . Bland. Seen the 2018 version first . Hard to go back . I expected better

• Jan 01, 2020

I have seen all 4 versions of this movie and my favorite is the 1976 version with Barbra and Kris. I don't know why the professional critics were so harsh in reviewing it. And I still own the original vinyl of the soundtrack, which I love.

• Aug 19, 2019

Not impressed ,chris and barbra do not conect,poor

Not impressed ,chris and barbra do not conect,poor

• Jun 19, 2019

Nothing about this works.

Nothing about this works.