The Thing - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Thing Reviews

April 26, 2017
Cool concept about an alien that can look and act like any animal set in Antarctica.
April 23, 2017
The Thing being the second John Carpenter film I've watched this week, I'm starting to notice why he's such a "big deal" in the film business, but I'm also realizing that his style may not be best suited for my tastes in film.

The Thing is a remake of a 1951 Howard Hawks film, which in itself is based on a novella, and the film was once again remade in 2011. Ultimately, this story is widely popular. But the funny thing is, the story doesn't feel all that special or unique. The film adapts the "whodunit" or rather "who is it" movie trope that has been used for as long as films have been made. I don't have a problem with that, but I do have a problem with this film feeling like a rip-off to Ridley Scott's 1979 Alien film. Right down to the chest bursting scene.

Some people may say that the original novella probably influenced Scott in making Alien, which may be true. But then why not change up a few plot points and shot selections instead of feeling overtly derivative from a film that is only a few years old. It also doesn't help that for all the blood, guts, jumps, and scares, we don't really get a look inside the minds of any of these characters. None of them are memorable, even Kurt Russell's flame throwing bearded helicopter pilot. Heck, we never even see the guy fly a helicopter.

I hate to keep bringing up Alien, so I'll compare the recent movie, Life. That film doesn't have anything new to add to the genre of "trapped-in-horror-thriller", but it consistently entertains you because you get to know each character and you care about them. The Thing's cast consists of a dozen or so men ranging from 30-65, and I don't remember any of their names or backstories. Why? Because the movie didn't take the time to establish either.

The Thing does do quite a few things well, though. The practical special effects are mind-blowing for a film from the early-80's. I would love to see some of the behind the scenes featurettes and how they were able to pull off some of the shots. If only the film didn't make me cringe every few minutes with its gratuitous blood spatters and gut bursting shots. The Thing also did a nice job at pacing out the deaths and jump scares where it didn't feel too overpowering at any one point but it also never got to the point of boredom either. Not to mention Ennio Morricone's haunting main theme that plays throughout the film. That will surely send chills down anyone's spine. So overall, The Thing is another Carpenter film to get a mixed response from me. He's a good filmmaker, but I highly doubt I will ever sit down a re-watch his films as religiously as some film fans do. Perhaps I'd like Howard Hawks version better.

+Score

+Effects

-No character depth

-Feels derivative

6.4/10
April 16, 2017
Director, John Carpenter (Assault on Precinct 13, Halloween, and Escape From New York), directs a very intense and suspenseful sci-fi thriller about a shape shifting alien who takes refuge in an Antarctic camp. The main star, Kurt Russell (Escape From New York), plays a very intriguing character, that we want to root for, but can we trust him? is he one of those things? Rob Bottin and Stam Winston, create some of the most realistic and must terrifying creature effects ever put to film, that still hold up today being 2017, and this film coming out in 1982. Overall, John Carpenter has directed a great thriller you can watch time and time again!
April 16, 2017
John Carpenter has made one hell of a film that takes elements of the horror B movie and turns it in every direction it can take. At no point do you not feel scared for your life alongside the crew once that Thing appears. And just when the grim sets in, it happens and god damn does it lift you out of your seat. The effects that turn human to thing is impressive and terrifying. You instantly feel the paranoia that gets to the crew the more they stay in isolation with it. No one can be so sure, but Kurt Russell struggles to keep them together while attempting to keep himself together while havoc is being wrought. But when it's seems to be over, it doesn't seem that way. That's what makes this close to apocalyptic tale the perfect blend of science fiction and horror that pulls no punches.
April 15, 2017
it one of the best classic horror movie
April 9, 2017
This is my favorite John Carpenter film because of the stellar gore and monster effects and the fun action, plot, and characters with it. This movie hooks you in immediately and puts you in a tense state. Go watch it now, especially if you're snowed in.
½ April 4, 2017
The Thing is an intelligent blend of sci-fi and horror which is now a cult classic.

This is about a group of scientists working in Antarctica. Eventually they find a husky which appears to be infected with something far sinister which begins to spread.

The movie's main focus is its special effects. Despite the fact that they are over 30 years old, they still look just as grotesque and disturbing today as they did back in 1982. Because of the special effects, several scenes have become iconic. The most famous one being the chest defibrilator scene which was really unexpected.

The movie shows us how the scientists quickly turn on each other after they discover that the thing can look like any one of them. The viewer keeps pointing fingers throughout the film and it's a surprise every time one of them is revealed to be infected.

The movie's ending is ambiguous and it has inspired a lot of discussions and debates in social media sites. Its ending leaves plenty of room for re-watching the film to look for clues you might have missed your first viewing. I'm not going to spoil anything but it is quite a shocker.

The tension is cranked up more since the characters are cut off from the outside world. This concept was borrowed by "Alien" and it heavily influenced "Aliens". Unfortunately, this movie failed at the box office probably since it was released 2 weeks after "E.T. The Extra Terrestrial". But its great production choices with effects and concepts is what made it into a cult classic.
½ March 31, 2017
WHAT I LIKED: Horrors come in many shapes and sizes, but the best movies put the viewer in the characters' shoes and allow them to understand and relate to the horrors that are on display. John Carpenter's 'The Thing' succeeds there in a number of ways, though primarily does so through its bolder, more mysterious take on the original story that now further hacks into the very basis of human survival and instinct to test its characters to the max. This brings sheer desperation for one, and when you couple that with the unravelling fear of the constantly un-known and un-explained, the result is a film that has you hooked ten-fold right up to the final frame. That tension is built masterfully too as great cinematography, special effects and a very effective score make for properly nail-biting build-ups, but the real beauty of The Thing comes from the moments when tension is briefly released. Here, great moments of whit and excitement further our likeable leads and build a film that doesn't take itself too seriously, but also has every right to do so when it needs to.
WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE: This is a gripe I've always had, but it is kind of significant. When they first make their discovery, the overall reaction is unbelievably subdued. When everything else is so well-built, this really takes you out of the moment.
VERDICT: A near-perfect thriller that grips and excites; 'The Thing' is frankly nothing short of a masterpiece. I love this thing.
March 26, 2017
The desolate environment mixed with the fear that comes from distrust among friends (and a vicious lurking alien organism) makes for an excellent film that is as thrilling as it is visually compelling.
March 20, 2017
Brilliant horror film full of suspense and far-out gore
March 19, 2017
The central conceit of a murderous alien that can shape shift to perfectly resemble its victims is used to great effect. Every encounter becomes one of mutual suspicion and fear. The gore is ketchuppy by today's standards, but if anything that adds to the fun.
March 14, 2017
what makes this horror so great is its unpredictability making scenes suspenseful and shocking. the gruesome alien transformation and an ending leaving you asking questions easily make this a horror masterpiece.
March 12, 2017
"The Thing" is the ultimate of horrific sci-fi films. The special effects are impossibly impressive, especially given the time in which the movie was created. Also, the plot leaves the viewer in constant suspense and waiting on the edge of their seat. This movie is a must watch for anyone that enjoys sci-fi movies.
March 5, 2017
One of the best sci- fi horror movies ever...its really a classic... special effects were way beyond thier time as well..
February 21, 2017
My favorite film of all time, Carpenter has crafted an amazing monster movie classic who's story, tone and effects have stood the test of time. Kurt Russell leads a devoted cast that combined with Carpenter's impeccable direction makes the tension, fear and suspicion a tangible character all it's own. Not just a superior horror film, The Thing is nothing short of an incredibly well made horror masterpiece.
February 14, 2017
The Thing is a Great Horror Classic. There's Perfect Acting And Perfect Effects.
February 7, 2017
In remote Antarctica, a group of American research scientists are disturbed at their base camp by a helicopter shooting at a sled dog. When they take in the dog, it brutally attacks both human beings and canines in the camp and they discover that the beast can assume the shape of its victims. A resourceful helicopter pilot (Russell) and the camp doctor (Dysart) lead the camp crew in a desperate battle against the vicious creature before it picks them all off, one by one.
February 5, 2017
I give this a 100/A+.
February 4, 2017
Amazing film. Atmospheric and great effects. My favourite sci fi film.
February 3, 2017
A solid if not extraordinary update of the cult classic is certainly more horrifying. The special effects are impressive and disgusting enough to impress people who loved Alien.