The Thing - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Thing Reviews

½ November 23, 2016
Carptenter's horror classic is still one of the most drastically gory films of all times. Sure, the splatter effects did not age well, but some of them still make you really uneasy. Other than that the film works mostly thanks to its atmosphere and location. Still, some parts seem to drag on and hardly any of the characters grow on you enough to care about anything that's going on. Still got mixed feelings about this. It's just a little too ugly for my taste, even if you can't blame the creators for what they set out to deliver here.
November 10, 2016
Terrific creature effects and an escalating degree of tension make for an incredible ride. But seriously, the visuals are the star, and the fact they are practical effects cause them to resonate beyond the film and into your nightmares.
November 6, 2016
still holds up. I feel better now and I want to come in....
½ November 1, 2016
A cult classic that delivers chills even 30 years later. John Carpenter's masterpiece The Thing blends sci-fi horror with gore and practical effects like no other.

Pitting the crew against one another, this film is so fun, bordering on camp, yet manages to create an uneasy tone of suspicion and paranoia that is quite believable.

It's clear to see how this is still regarded as one of the best horror movies ever made.
October 30, 2016
It was very entertaining to watch the paranoia of the crew unfold and all the over-the-top, almost humorous, transformations into the Thing
October 30, 2016
This movie gives me the creeps still to this day. A great cast, spectacular 1980s gore with a great plot. A great cult classic ????
October 30, 2016
The Thing is a frightening sci-fi flick with phenomenal practical effects, ominous atmosphere, interesting characters and dark themes of Paranoia and Mistrust.
October 29, 2016
The Thing is a classic '80s movie starring Kurt Russel and a plethora of amazing practical special effects. The plot was too famous for me to be surprised by anything, and I wasn't sure how much I'd like it, but I have to say that I was extremely satisfied and entertained by The Thing. The acting is solid, especially for a film from 1980, but the plot was really its strength, it was incredibly captivating and never let me go. The dialogue was really good too, and the special effects oh my God. I have never seen such great practical effects ever in a film this old. It really made me question how they did this scene or that scene. The effects were so grotesque I couldn't peel my eyes off the screen, I dare say it rivals the effects in Mad Max, Fury Road in terms of it being visually stunning and impossible to look away from. The Thing is an all-time great film that holds up very well today
½ October 26, 2016
Amazing special effects, unpredictable, gruesome, thrilling, and horrifying. John Carpenter's The Thing is not only possibly the greatest movie remake of all-time that improves vastly over the original, but one of the greatest Sci-Fi Horror movies ever made.
October 24, 2016
Phenomenal! One of the best. This is horror at its finest. Say what you want, this is tense, atmospheric and has one fantastic ending. One of the best remakes.
October 22, 2016
Remake of the 1951 Howard Hawks film. Extremely claustrophobic with great tension throughout. Some serious jumps and gore. Kurt Russell and Keith David are the balls. The blood sample scene is intense.
½ October 21, 2016
Great premise for a movie and great cast. Kurt Russell is perfect and I loved the open ended-ness. Begging for a sequel that I haven't seen, but is bound for disappointment along the lines of predator 2. This franchise could be even better with the updated special effects. But casting and writing teams need to be carefully selected. I really liked this movie.
½ October 16, 2016
Hm. A horror film without tension. The book's better.
½ October 15, 2016
it one of the best classic horror movie
October 11, 2016
Just rewatched on the plane ride to LA, I was quite impressed that it was on the plane. Pure classic horror film that needs to be a blueprint for most creature pics. Unpredictable and moody as hell.
October 4, 2016
Love it so much! I actually grew up with this movie as my image of fear (Thanks to my father) even though I am almost 2 decades younger than the movie itself. It is impactful and suspenseful in so many levels and it's just so mind boggling and incredibly detailed. A must-watch for any type of horror fan.
½ October 1, 2016
I'm not sure that the stuff with Blair tracks and the effects don't really hold up, though they're still fun to look at. That being said, it's still a fun thriller steeped with paranoia.
September 30, 2016
Overall very solid, visual effect are dated yet the decisions of characters seem somewhat odd and are ultimately undoing of the movie.
September 26, 2016
My favorite movie of all time, period. Go ahead and sit this one right next to Juriassic Park. Only it's a zillion years older and I've seen it that many times.