Top Secret! - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Top Secret! Reviews

May 21, 2017
Holy cow, the Abrahams-Zucker team really are the masters of spoofs. I laugh so much at the ridiculous humor in Top Secret, and find myself dying for more. They have so much going on in this movie that I was enjoying myself throughout. It has silly sketches, some fun play on words, and even the occasional serious moment to keep the plot rolling.

I still love how these directors make a point of casting serious actors, and then asking them to take the plot seriously as well. It adds to the humor when the most insane things are going on, but the characters just keep moving on with the story as if this nonsense was logical to them. Val Kilmer is obviously the standout in the cast and he is criminally underrated as an actor. He crushes the performance in Top Secret.

Ironically, despite the fact that the plot is a low priority in these spoof movies, it was the only thing that I didn't love about Top Secret. It felt like they needed to spend a little more time fleshing out the story they wanted to tell before adding all the humor. There were a number of potential plot threads that they start, but none of it pays off. It's definitely a minor complaint in a movie I otherwise adored and am anxious to watch again soon.
February 21, 2017
I really enjoyed this as a teenager, but, rewatching this for the first time in ages, it just didn't work for me. Maybe it is the kind of cheap slapstick humour that appeals if you haven't seen many movies and hence don't know how good comedy can be.
December 22, 2016
A really underrated comedy movie
November 15, 2016
Absurd and enjoyable.
October 14, 2016
This is one of the best spoof comedies I have ever seen. It may have a few jokes that were only good for the time it was made, but the amount of laugh out loud moments this film got out of me is huge. I will admit the musical part of the film was kind of annyoing and bored me a bit, but the film makes it up for it with other iconic moments that make this film a must watch with friends.
September 13, 2016
The 2nd funniest movie ever made. Only, because Airplane is the 1st.
September 3, 2016
Everything that was fresh and funny about Airplane! is laboured and lazily unfunny here. A dull parody of 60s war movies with a charisma-free central performance by Val Kilmer, and good British character actors like Peter Cushing and Michael Gough wasted in tiny supporting roles.
½ August 17, 2016
This is another spoof comedy from the Zucker team that performs well. This time a rock idol saves the day. Hilarious scenes and although not as flashy or vulgar as "Airplane", this second attempt at spoofing movies works again. Top Secret never got much respect, but it's a classic in its own right.
August 12, 2016
My favorite comedy of all time. Val Kilmer should have stuck to comedy with this and Real Genius. Instead he went Top Gun on us and ended up an old fat Marlon Brando.
½ August 8, 2016
"I know a little German. He's sitting over there."

A by the numbers plot barely scratches the surface in denting this film's potential as a master-class in visual comedy. This sort of blink-if-you-miss-it humour defines what makes Top Secret! so wacky and over the top. Perhaps, an abundance more or less cancels out the surprise element, but Top Secret! still graciously succeeds in attention to detail laughs.

B

69/100
½ July 30, 2016
This has a lot of witty humor and clever sight gags.
June 13, 2016
Hilarious, best sight gags ever. Better than Naked Gun
April 17, 2016
Solid effort from the makers of Airplane! (with help from Canadian Writer/Director Martyn Burke) that produces enough to make worthwhile but never attains the level of Airplane! Unusual mix of Elvis and WWII spy films, which may hold it back some.
½ March 13, 2016
3/12/2016: One of the better "spoof" movies imo. It had some silly/funny moments.
½ February 8, 2016
A delightful spoof! A few of the jokes are dated (as this came out in 1984, and I wasn't born until 1985, I don't get some of them), but most of the gags are classic. The music is amazing! Great parodies and pastiches of American rock classics. Overall, worth watching for fans of the Abrahams Zucker spoofs.
Watched on DVD at home, January 23, 2016.
September 17, 2015
Man, this spoof spy film had some awesome set ups and some incredible gags, and a lot of unique stuff that was so absolutely hilarious that all the disgusting raunchy toilet humor was absolute unnecessary and had no real place in the film. It went from being a classic comedy film a father could put on for his whole family to a pile of fecis I wouldn't subject upon anyone. It stinks!!
September 8, 2015
One of the 10 funniest movies ever made.
½ August 24, 2015
one of the best comedies
August 21, 2015
I think I'm in the minority on this one. It gets funnier towards the end when there's more slapstick and zaniness going on, but I found the east German satirical stuff in the first half to be dated and unfunny. There have been funnier movies making fun of east Germany than this, and there have been funnier slapstick comedies.
½ August 18, 2015
"Latrine!" This movie still makes me laugh.