The Wrong Man - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Wrong Man Reviews

May 7, 2019
The best thrilling movie ever made!
January 27, 2019
Fan of Hitchcock and a fan of Fonda, but for me, this might be the most overrated film in Hitchcock's oeuvre. I felt no investment in any of the characters, including Fonda's, who spent the entirety of the film with a look of incredulity on his face and no believable character arc. Cinematography was substandard for a Hitchcock film of this era. Pacing was dreadful. Perhaps worst of all, it strains the limits of willing suspension of disbelief despite being based on a 'true' story.
November 20, 2018
Hitchcock changes his usual style to make this incredibly hard hitting and true to life depiction of how wrongful accusations destroy your life. Made with Hitchcock's genius skill but also with historical accuracy of highest standards in this real life story. Fonda is perfect as the innocent man hit with injustice.
September 18, 2018
The first 45 minutes of The Wrong Man really stressed me out. I kept putting myself in the shoes of the protagonist and wondering what I would do. After that, however, I felt like this movie lost its way, and started to wander before finally reaching the conclusion. It's a good film, but it's not one of Hitchcock's greats.
½ June 3, 2018
If "The Wrong Man" weren't based on a true story, there's a good chance Alfred Hitchcock could've made it up, as all the pieces of the great director's most well-known works are there.
½ February 24, 2018
Hitchock's first true-story film isn't always narratively even, but it's made up for with realistic dialogue, a solid cast, and meaningful direction.
½ February 10, 2018
Another mistaken identity plot, but this one is not as compelling. 1001 movies to see before you die.
October 15, 2017
One of Hitch's more underrated films.
August 28, 2017
Alfred Hitchcock directed 1950s film noir thriller based on actual events rather than the escapism thrillers so often associated with Hitchcock.
The film is one of his last shot in black and white and uses actual New York City location photography.
The screenplay concerns a jazz musician Manny Balestero (Henry Fonda) wrongly accused of holding up an insurance office.
The film is almost like a documentary due to its true events.
Fonda plays Balestero with a bewildered look throughout. I mean his world is literally falling down around him. A musician, happily married with two young sons..
The procedure of Balestero's ridiculous arrest at the police station, indictment and trial are excellently conveyed by Hitchcock.
The best acting in the film probably goes to Vera Miles as Balestero's psychologically effected wife Rose who actually suffers a breakdown and ends up being treated for two years in a mental institution.
Hitchcock conveys the indignity and shock of the whole process. The black and white images probably adding to the gloom.
Little known and underrated Hitchcock film if I am being honest. I found it as entertaining as his more well known thrillers I have watched.
The cameo that Hitchcock usually makes in his films is sensibly omitted as the great director delivers a prologue at the beginning explaining the outline of the true life events.
August 24, 2017
Hitchcock doesn't impress me with this movie. Part courtroom drama, part family crisis, it just wasn't suspenseful like his other movies. A letdown for me.
½ August 3, 2017
Sluggish, faint and almost unremarkable, but it is an easy watch and you can feel for Fonda.
½ July 28, 2017
9.5 out of 10:

Gritty, tragic, well directed, great performances, and a fantastic score makes The Wrong Man an underrated film noir.
July 22, 2017
A good story, but not enough to make a movie. It was long and drawn out to fill in the time, preferring to try and mimic what the character was feeling instead of giving us more plot. There wasn't any more. And since you knew he was innocent from the beginning, there was no real suspense.
Fonda looked stiff and overacting compared to those around him. I wouldn't say not to see it, but you'll need some patience.
½ June 28, 2017
With its very different tone from Hitchcock's other works, 'The Wrong Man' isn't his most enjoyable but definitely is well-intentioned and of good quality, both in the filming and acting.
½ May 29, 2017
One is powerless in front of the state apparatus.
½ May 7, 2017
very good movie and I enjoyed it. The acting was good and it seems to of followed the true story of what happened to a guy called Manny Balestrero in 1953 pretty accurately. Worth watching.
½ March 17, 2017
WHY IS THIS SEEN AS A GOOD MOVIE I'M SO CONFUSED
½ December 4, 2016
Henry Fonda's only crime is inducing boredom. Alfred Hitchcock wastes quality talent in a dull movie not worth watching. (First and only viewing - 7/14/2011)
Antonius Block
½ December 1, 2016
I have to say, usually in this country it's an African-American man who gets arrested as the 'Wrong Man', but this Hitchcock film is indeed based closely on a true story. It's interesting to ponder why Hitch announces that fact at the outset, and I suppose it's because therein lies the true horror: that at any time, while minding our own business, we might be arrested and accused of crimes we haven't committed. We might be have our freedom taken, get locked up in a cage, and find ourselves at the mercy of the judicial system. The scenes where Henry Fonda is imprisoned are absolutely brilliant, as are the ones of him on trial, looking around the courtroom, and noticing the trivial little behaviors of those around him, while his own life hangs in the balance. The pace of this movie is a little slow at times, but a part of that is intentional, and heightens the realism. The police procedures may have you shaking your head, as will the notoriously unreliable eyewitness testimony. There is a bit of a twist in the story concerning Fonda's wife, played by Vera Miles, which I didn't expect. It's not Hitchcock's best work, but it is the most direct statement of his concerning this motif which appeared in so many of his films, and certainly worth watching.
August 12, 2016
One of his best and most overlooked films, The Wrong Man is a tense, somewhat paranoid film that could have only been made by Alfred Hitchcock.