GoodFellas Reviews

• Apr 26, 2019

Love this movie! Every single part. People talk about how they don't like the ending but I think it's perfect because it's a completely true story and a truly great story!

• Apr 19, 2019

What is there to say about Goodfellas that hasn't already been said? It is funny, terrifying, intricate and manages to educate you about the inner workings of the Mafia and their interaction with the U.S Government without feeling overstuffed, in fact you are left wanting more. Calling this Scorsese's best film will most likely be controversial, Raging Bull (1980) and Taxi Driver (1976) are also beloved but I believe that what makes Goodfellas special is that it makes Scorsese's trademarks violence, crime and Catholic guilt accessible and enjoyable to a wide audience. One of the most iconic anti-heroes in all of cinema history Henry Hill, Ray Liotta, begins working with Jimmy Conway, Robert De Niro, and Tommy DeVito, Joe Pesci, under the tutelage of Mafioso Paulie Cicero, Paul Sorvino. He begins a relationship with the Jewish Karen Friedman, played by the very Italian Lorraine Bracco, who he ends up marrying despite the protestations of those around him. When he murders a member of the Gambino crime family he becomes even more deeply rooted in the gangster lifestyle. From this point on we see his life develop over the next 25 years as the Mafia's relationship with the American Government and his relationship with Karen becomes strained. Scorsese manages to cram so much into 2 hours and 15 minutes and the film almost never drags. The script, written by Nicholas Pileggi and Martin Scorsese and based upon Pileggi's novel ï¿ 1/2~Wiseguys', moves at a fast pace whilst also providing incredible detail and including scenes that are funny and tragic at once. In particular the voiceover, a motif that would become a clichï¿ 1/2 (C) in future gangster movies, is well used as we hear the inner dialogue of both Karen and Henry at various points during the film providing exposition and entertaining insights. Take the scene in which Karen threatens to shoot Henry, a suspenseful, well-directed 2 and a half minutes, this would be dramatic enough but her explanation of why she stays with him, "I'm still very attracted to him, why should I let her have him?" adds a note of sadness that makes the scene more emotionally impactful than it would have otherwise been. It is an absolute crime that this fantastic piece of writing lost an Academy Award to the average, white-savior narrative screenplay for Dances with Wolves. The pacing of the film is also excellent, a credit to Scorsese's frequent collaborator editor Thelma Schoonmaker, with each different strand of the film appearing appropriately proportion on screen. All of the scenes feel necessary, they create a mood, an environment that sticks in your mind well after having seen the film. The film is extremely watchable because it doesn't give you the space to consider outside issues, you are fully immersed in the experience of watching this film throughout it's running time and each plot development captivates you as much as the last. Again, the Academy made a stupid decision by awarding Dances with Wolves the Best Editing Academy Award when considering the difficulty level in bringing every part of Goodfellas narrative together. Liotta, giving his most notable performance, is terrific using his at once beautiful and violent eyes to convey the double-edged sword of being on of the many people enamored of him. He goes beyond stereotypes whilst at the same time reveling in them and Liotta is believe throughout the character's long, sweeping arc. Bracco is equally astonishing as his wife with her nasally voice and dark, vulnerable eyes she is convincing as an innocent seduced by a charismatic man, a trashy housewife and a wronged wife. Pesci, who won an Oscar for his role, and De Niro are both perfectly cast being both comically and dramatically talented. The entire cast are well-matched to their roles and it is clear Scorsese placed great value on the acting in this film. This is a must-watch for all audiences it is that rare film with tremendous commercial appeal that also earns it critical acclaim. The wide-reaching cultural impact of this film is evidence of it's greatness, how many films has it inspired over the last 29 years? Scorsese is one of the great filmmakers of his era and all of his talents are on display in this film therefore, in my opinion it is his greatest film.

• Apr 09, 2019

Goodfellas is the absolute pinnacle of glorifying the strengths and weaknesses of Martin Scorsese. The acting was really strong by everyone, especially Joe Pesci. The directing was spot on, and the plot does not quit on telling you its real life events. But when you start to know where the plot is going, you realize that this is not a true masterpiece. Just like his other films; the run time really gets to you, there's too much swearing that its literally being force fed to the audience, and most of the characters are completely heartless. I'm not saying this movie is bad. I'm just saying that I didn't love it as much as I wanted to.

• Apr 07, 2019

Scorsese's best and one of the greatest, most timeless films ever made.

Scorsese's best and one of the greatest, most timeless films ever made.

• Apr 06, 2019

Takes everything that made The Godfather great and expands on it in a fun and energetic way. Add an edge to that energy and you got a solid piece of cinema.

• Mar 31, 2019

Its one of the best mafia movies i have seen this movie 40 times now

Its one of the best mafia movies i have seen this movie 40 times now

• Mar 29, 2019

Too long. Joe Pesci’s character is pretty annoying. Robert De Niro could have used more screen time. Ray Liotta was solid throughout. Not as good as I thought it would be. Too many stereotypical characters and the story dragged on.

• Mar 18, 2019

Wow for me the best mafia since the godfather 2

Wow for me the best mafia since the godfather 2

• Mar 14, 2019

Goodfellas: 10 out of 10: The true story of Mobster turned government informer Henry Hill. What can you say in a career full of masterpieces this is still Martin Scorsese's greatest work. Much like John Hustonâ(TM)s Maltese Falcon is simply directed to perfection. There really isnâ(TM)t a misstep in casting, story soundtrack or pace. The two and a half hours breezes by and the film will stick with you for days. Simply one of the best films ever made without caveats.

• Mar 09, 2019

A great depiction of the mob. Great acting and dialogue. Pesci is incredible.

A great depiction of the mob. Great acting and dialogue. Pesci is incredible.