GoodFellas - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

GoodFellas Reviews

July 21, 2017
An intimate look at the world of gangsters, makes you feel like you are part of them or long ago, you knew them once. The holy grail of gangster films.
July 21, 2017
Very good film about the rise and fall of gangster Henry Hill.
July 13, 2017
I've heard Goodfellas referred to as the "working class" mobster flick, with the profanity and graphic violence that characterizes Scorsese and that disgusts the wealthy class who embraced Godfather's deceptively patriarchal vision of love. Perhaps, but what really made Goodfellas unique was the way Scorsese made the mundane cinematic, and mocked the over stylized storyboarding of the most obvious mainstream director cliches. In short, Scorsese didn't film a movie, as much as he captured the absurdity and misanthropy of real life. Goodfellas' strange but real world sense of humor and palpable tension between egomaniacal figures paved the way for Tarantino and David Chase's The Sopranos. In essence, a deconstruction and caricatured rebuilding of what a crime drama ought to be.

Martin Scorsese's masterpiece features a lot of unlikable characters and snitching wise guys. But Tommy DeVito was so menacing he managed to play antagonist to even the bullies and murderers that trusted him. Joe Pesci's brings this character to life and gradually builds fear from its basest element, since in plain view Tommy Devito is short, goofy looking and has the voice of an Italian clown. Few actors could make such an under whelming presence into a modern monster.
July 1, 2017
The best Martin Scorsese movie in my opinion. Great performances from the entire cast.
June 30, 2017
Robert DeNiro, Ray Liotta and Joe Pesci are great in this film!
June 25, 2017
Great fantastic phenomenal funny mob mafia movie directed by Martin Scorsese, starring Robert de niro, one guy from home alone and some random guy that starred in this movie. I am really digging mafia movies now and I'm trying to watch all the greats. This is definitely one that I would remember and watch again. All the jokes in this movie are hilarious especially how the main character of this movie laughs, he laughs so weird and I can't stop laughing at him because of his laugh. If he really laughs like that in real life I would sorta feel bad for laughing at him but nothing. The story is fantastic and this movie makes you feel for the characters and you don't want anything bad to happen to them, only a few movies can do that and this movie is one of them. Can't wait to see this movie again.
June 22, 2017
The best gangster film ever made. And in my opinion, the best film that I have ever seen. As Bill Burr said on his podcast, 'Every scene is a classic".
June 5, 2017
Nothing like the godfather, but it was entertaining
June 5, 2017
One of the defining gangster classics showing all the textual and dimensions of a gangster's life. The alternative moral universe without the dogmatic, reductivistic view of what a gangster mean.
½ June 2, 2017
Classic DeNiro, Pesci, and Liotta at their best.
May 31, 2017
"Maybe you didn't hear about it, you've been away a long time. They didn't go up there and tell you. I don't shine shoes anymore"... Who of us hasn't said this at one time or another? Truly, five and a half stars.
May 31, 2017
Good movie about people in the wrong
½ May 29, 2017
(First and only viewing - 8/12/2008)
May 26, 2017
Oh My God. this movie is a classic. flawless. fantastic. brutal
May 21, 2017
A story of mob but unlike any other, a time changing feel to a movie. Henry (Ray Liotta) is seen through the eyes of "Mob is Good". The love of characters like Jimmy (Robert De Niro) and the very "funny" presence of Tommy (Joe Pesci) bring heart to this film.
May 19, 2017
Scorsese masterpiece! Needs to be seen to be believed; in one word: perfection. Every frame, every voice-over, every song - it all comes together at the exact right moment to create the perfect film experience. This film makes you really understand and feel what makes the American mafia so compelling; in the eyes of a kid, who was unfortunate enough to grow up in a tough neighborhood, those gangsters are rock stars. Live fast, die young - but when you die, it ain't gonna be of a glamorous suicide or drug overdose - the ending will be brutal, ugly and sad. And it may very well be one of your best friends that will blow your brains out.

I'll never get tired of watching Goodfellas; the entertainment value of this film is just amazing. It doesn't happen very often that every person involved in the process of making a film is at the peak of his/her game. And rarely do art and entertainment come together the way they did here. Storytelling with impeccable pacing, this is what it's like when a master composer conducts his masterpiece. All hail the king; the most versatile and talented filmmaker of his generation: Martin Scorsese
May 18, 2017
Perfect Mob film with brilliant acting!
May 16, 2017
A classic and to prove how much I love this movie I watched it four nights in a row and bought it on Bluray.
May 5, 2017
5/5. One of, if not the best mafia movies I have ever seen.
½ April 5, 2017
Martin Scorsese's Classic GoodFellas stars Robert De Niro, Ray Liotta, Joe Pesci, Lorraine Bracco, and Paul Sorvino. It has a great cast and great acting by Robert De Niro, Ray Liotta, and Joe Pesci. Director Martin Scorsese does an amazing job with the film. The whole movie is tense, thrilling, amazing and perfect. I give it a 93%