GoodFellas - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

GoodFellas Reviews

September 25, 2016
La mejor peliculas de mafiosos de todos los tiempos.
September 16, 2016
I still do not know how this did not win Best Picture in its year, Dances with Wolves is undoubtedly a great film but it does not match up to this. It is very well adapted from the book, as it manages to explain the details of the mob to us through voiceover, without getting boring. Also, the language and violence present seems to enhance scenes rather than be in there simply to shock viewers. The performances are first rate, and many of the songs featured in the film fit their respective scenes perfectly.

As one would expect, the film is well-directed, with the freeze frames, fast editing and narration working very well together. Some very inventive camera tricks also make the film very visually appealing.

Overall, I feel this may have been one of the biggest mistakes in Oscar history, and quite possibly Scorsese's best film.
September 13, 2016
The best mafia movie ever made. The kind of movie you could watch over and over because it never gets boring.
September 11, 2016
Goodfellas is one of those "flip it and leave it" movies. You know what I'm talking about? If you are flipping through the channels and come across Goodfellas, you leave it on. The performances are amazing.
September 1, 2016
Classy and hard hitting! THIS is the greatest mob film since GODFATHER II
August 26, 2016
Greatest. Mob Movie. Ever. One of my favorites.
½ August 23, 2016
GoodFellas is one of those films that I felt like I needed to see, but never really wanted to see. I'm not a big fan of gangster movies and I've never really understood Hollywood's obsession with the mafia. However, I have to say that I was impressed. This film covers almost 30 years of Henry Hill's life in an engaging way that keeps you guessing. Plus, the performances of Ray Liotta, Joe Pesci and Robert DeNiro are iconic. This isn't a film I plan on repeatedly watching in the future, but I am glad that I finally saw it.
August 16, 2016
GoodFellas has everything a Martin Scorsese film would require to mesmerize me from beginning to end.
August 14, 2016
One of the best mob movies of all time!!! Outstanding cast and amazing script. Everything about this movie is great.
August 14, 2016
Not only best mob movie ever but excellent covering the decades of time.
One of my all time favorite movies in this genre.
August 11, 2016
Martin Scorsese is the master of mobster films, and his work on Goodfellas is some of his best.
August 1, 2016
By far one of the best movies ever! I watch this every time it's on TV and keep it stored on our DVR receiver! I have seen it a hundred times. No joke.
Great actors, great story, and overall perfect perfect movie.
I wish there was a sequel!
It runs a tight race with Blow featuring Johnny Depp! These two movies are my all time favorites. I can't choose which is better!
July 27, 2016
Excellent gangster film.
½ July 19, 2016
"The Godfather" is usually called the greatest gangster film ever made. Several films such as "Scarface", "The Godfather Part 2", "Bonnie and Clyde", and "Pulp Fiction" are rivals to that movie. To me, "Goodfellas" definitely ranks very high up there. I love both "The Godfather" and "Goodfellas" and I think that both films are masterpieces.

This movie follows infamous gangster Henry Hill and his friends as they work their way up in the gangster world. It shows different people and different events he encounters in this film.

I just want to start off this review by saying that this movie is incredibly entertaining. It keeps the movie going at an enjoyable pace and it makes the movie very easy to follow. The movie even draws you in right at the beginning with its brilliant opening scene which is now iconic.

By far, Tommy DeVito (Joe Pesci) is my favorite character in this movie. He is threatening and he seems like the kind of guy that you don't want to mess with. He can lose his temper very easily and if someone annoys him even in the slightest way possible, they risk getting themselves shot and killed. The infamous "Funny How?" scene near the beginning is definitely one of the most tense scenes in all of cinema history. The audience is left wondering if he'll pop and the silence of the scene makes it more tense. In other words, he basically steals the show.

Ray Liotta also gave a fantastic role as Henry Hill. I can't think of a better actor to play him. He captures a feeling of innocence all while having a feeling of violence to him. He also loses his temper easily and when he does, those scenes stick with you very long after viewing it.

Also, Robert De Niro gave a great performance. Robert De Niro has always been one of if not my favorite actor of all time. I like him for his tough guy roles. In my opinion, his performances in "Taxi Driver" and "Raging Bull" are some of the best performances ever in cinema. He gave another phenomenal performance in this movie as well even though he's not in the movie as much as you'd expect him to be based on the DVD cover.

This movie is based on the true story of Henry Hill and it is adapted from the best-selling book "Wiseguy". The book is great but the movie blows it out of the water in every way imaginable. Also, Henry Hill himself actually stated that this movie is about 95% accurate.

Also, the movie is very stylish with its dazzling cinematography. The cinematography looks so good mainly because of the lighting and realistic set design in it. On top of that, Scorsese's Copa Cabana shot is a fabulous shot and it has a lot going for it in terms of the long take.

In conclusion, this movie hits all the right notes and it is contains everything which I think is mandatory in gangster films. It is easy to follow, it has enjoyable pacing, great acting, and memorable characters. This film is definitely a masterpiece and it definitely ranks up there with some of the best movies ever made.
July 15, 2016
Goodfellas is the story about the life of mobster Henry Hill and how he grew up idolizing the mob and soon became one of the them. This film really shows how mobsters are animals and has great dialogue and performances from Ray Liotta, De Niro, and Joe Pesci. Goodfellas is definitely a great film and is certainly one of the best films of all time.
July 3, 2016
The best film ever made
July 3, 2016
Greatest Film directed by Martin Scorsese. One of the years best films and of all time. A+.
July 2, 2016
The penultimate gangster movie.Martin Scorsese's fascination with gangsters is perfect for this story of a man who becomes intoxicated with mob life.

If you were forced to see only one mob movie in your lifetime, this one deserves your consideration.
½ June 27, 2016
Very memorable, great scenes and what a cast!
½ June 27, 2016
I like the concept, but I absolutely can't stand Ray Liotta or Joe Pesci. I think if it was cast differently, I would have enjoyed it more.