GoodFellas - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

GoodFellas Reviews

April 17, 2018
Thought it was boring only watched half
April 16, 2018
One of the greatest movies ever!! Period.
April 9, 2018
This is a Scorsese movie alright. Snappy dialog, fast pace, sprawling story, lots of memorable characters, and gangsters, obviously.

I loved the first two thirds of this movie, but it lost a bit of the good pace and the flow in the final act. It was still good, but not as good.

Fascinating story all around, played out magnificently by the entire cast. Ray Liotta, Robert De Niro, and Joe Pesci were especially amazing.

Music was fantastically fitting, the editing was slick, the cinematography was mostly alright, and the production was surprisingly great. I was not expecting this movie to be so well made in that regard. What brought this movie down a peg for me was the feeling that it was a little too cluttered. I understand that this movie is based on a true story, and that Scorsese was probably trying to be as accurate as possible, but I didn't find it that enjoyable to go through every single little moment and detail in the story. You could definitely shave off like a dozen minutes off this movie.

I didn't feel like I fell in love with it enough to want to see every little detail.
April 8, 2018
like the action scenes but too much lovey dovey and family situations for a gangster film. great narrative but does feel slow in places as its a long film.
½ April 8, 2018
A classic which sets the bar for carefully podded developmental structuring of theme which can be seen in everything from the performances to the slick camerawork.
April 5, 2018
A real gangster movie.... You can watch it again and again.....
½ April 4, 2018
This is one of those movies you just watch to say you watched it. This movie gets compared to the Godfather movies a lot, personally I think that the Godfather is a much better movie. I don't really like any of the characters in this movie, the whole story just feels pointless and personally I don't like some of the things that happen in this movie. The real problem I have with this movie is that it is way to long, and yes I know The Godfather is long but it's reasonably long. I do like Joe Pesci in this movie and I also like some of the scenes but as a whole this movie just doesn't do it for me. If you haven't seen it you definitely need to but I would say the Godfather is easily better.
March 31, 2018
Goodfellas, directed by Martin Scorsese, is a film that exemplifies great storytelling. I thoroughly enjoyed the film, both the story side of it, as well as the execution. Pacing-wise, the story moved very swiftly and efficiently, never pausing for too long. I enjoyed that the story was told both from Henry and Karen's perspective. In the film, it is later revealed that Henry and Karen are telling their story to someone who can potentially put them in the witness protection program, in an effort to get them out of the life that they had previously come to know and love. On the directing side, Scorsese does a great job of both following and breaking the rules. The initial establishing shot of Henry driving in the car utilizes the rule of thirds, putting Henry neatly on the right side of the frame. Scorsese breaks what we systematically expect from a film through his use of steadicam shots. He uses this approach when we are introduced to a new character or environment, allowing us to move through the space with that character and feel that we are a part of the experience, rather than just on the outside looking in. One scene that this is utilized in is when we first meet the "goodfellas" associated with Henry. Scorsese has a steadicam moving throughout the club, pausing on each character as the camera goes by, saying hello to Henry - but also introducing them to us as the audience. This shot also demonstrates use of pace and perspective. Scorsese uses this approach once again, when Henry first brings Karen to the Copacabana. The camera moves through the club as if it were a person exploring the culture of the environment for the first time. This allows us as viewers to see Henry's world from Karen's perspective. Another approach that I appreciated was Scorsese's ability to drop small hints and set up what would come later. When Henry's girlfriend is showing off her new apartment to her friends, on their way out of her room - Henry and Sandy (one of the girlfriend's friends) show a very flirting, knowing look. Sandy later becomes involved with Henry, and a major part of his drug ring.
March 28, 2018
A masterpiece on the level of The Godfather.
½ March 28, 2018
wOW, THIS IS A GREAT MOVIE, NUFF SAID.
March 28, 2018
Goodfellas is one of the most entertaining Martin Scorsese movies ever, an instant classic! Ray Liotta, Robert De Niro and Joe Pesci are brilliant as the lead characters! Anyone who doesn't like this movie is kidding themselves, this movie has humor and drama that keeps you hooked!
March 18, 2018
The BEST film ever made.
March 17, 2018
I love this movie. If it comes on TV, I look to see if I missed the "walking into the restaurant" scene. If not, I sit and watch. If so, I get out my DVD and start from the beginning.
February 24, 2018
This has to be one of the worst movies I've ever seen. Ray Liotta was totally miscast for this film. His acting comes across as totally fake. I can't believe I wasted perfectly good bandwidth on it.
½ February 24, 2018
1001 movies to see before you die.
February 18, 2018
The Best Mob Movie Ever Made
February 14, 2018
with amazing directing by scorsese, a home run performance by pretty much all the leads (especially joe pesci) goodfellas is one of the greatest movies ever made!
February 8, 2018
Goodfellas, is quite possibly, the greatest mobster film of all-time, for several reasons. Firstly, the ensemble cast is brilliant. Joe Pesci, Robert De Niro, and Ray Liotta are great, believable leads, but they are helped by great performances from Sorvino, Bracco, and Low.

Secondly, the character development and story pacing is perfect. In the first act, we are provided with Henry's upbringing and his introduction into the mob: his rise. The second act, provides us with Henry, Pesci, and De Niro in the prime of their lives. And finally, the third act shows us how it all falls apart. It should be noted that the narration throughout the film, definitely adds a greater sense of personality.

Overall, Scorsese pulls off a masterclass in depicting Henry Hill's life style, and even with the film sitting at almost two and a half hours, it doesn't drag. Every scene contains meaning, and provides a greater sense of perception into the social hierachy/inner-workings of the mob.
February 7, 2018
Absolutely amazing, historically accurate, some of the best acting in film to date, great cast, never bores, amazing dialogue, incredibly well shot, truly thematic, really grips you and engrosses you in not just the time period but the story as well. A true masterpiece that anyone NEEDS to watch.
February 4, 2018
easily one of the best movies of all time.