GoodFellas - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

GoodFellas Reviews

½ August 19, 2017
(First and only viewing - 8/12/2008)
½ August 19, 2017
Talk about a great film! Goodfella's tells the true story of a gansgster and his lifestyle that he lives. However, this is not all about being a gangster, there is some family drama mixed in with it, and it blends perfectly with how the film tells its story. The characters are also fantastic, with Joe Pesci's really stealing the show. The plot however doesn't really have a specific ending point. It is hard to do this with a film based on a true story, but this is where it falters slightly, and they handle it quite well. A great adaptation of a true story!
August 18, 2017
This Movie Has A Lot Of Swearing And Graphic Violence In It.
August 8, 2017
This film is a pure Masterpiece in my honest opinion. A brilliantly directed film with Excellent writing and Great performances especially from Joe Pesci, Robert Di Niro and Ray Liotta. Without a doubt One of my Favourite Movies of all Time.
July 31, 2017
Didn't rewatch so fudging the rating
½ July 31, 2017
It is such a satisfying film because of the realism the cast and Scorsese creates and it is hard to see any flaws in the film only that it is a long movie, but that is hardly a problem for it is entertaining throughout.
July 26, 2017
A masterpiece of the gangster genre. At times violent, often brutally so, but dont let that put you off. Will be in most people's all time top 20 movies and very probably towards the top . A must see.
July 25, 2017
Probably my all time favorite Goodfellas is a mafia classic and the greatest mafia flim ever made
July 21, 2017
An intimate look at the world of gangsters, makes you feel like you are part of them or long ago, you knew them once. The holy grail of gangster films.
July 21, 2017
Very good film about the rise and fall of gangster Henry Hill.
July 13, 2017
I've heard Goodfellas referred to as the "working class" mobster flick, with the profanity and graphic violence that characterizes Scorsese and that disgusts the wealthy class who embraced Godfather's deceptively patriarchal vision of love. Perhaps, but what really made Goodfellas unique was the way Scorsese made the mundane cinematic, and mocked the over stylized storyboarding of the most obvious mainstream director cliches. In short, Scorsese didn't film a movie, as much as he captured the absurdity and misanthropy of real life. Goodfellas' strange but real world sense of humor and palpable tension between egomaniacal figures paved the way for Tarantino and David Chase's The Sopranos. In essence, a deconstruction and caricatured rebuilding of what a crime drama ought to be.

Martin Scorsese's masterpiece features a lot of unlikable characters and snitching wise guys. But Tommy DeVito was so menacing he managed to play antagonist to even the bullies and murderers that trusted him. Joe Pesci's brings this character to life and gradually builds fear from its basest element, since in plain view Tommy Devito is short, goofy looking and has the voice of an Italian clown. Few actors could make such an under whelming presence into a modern monster.
July 1, 2017
The best Martin Scorsese movie in my opinion. Great performances from the entire cast.
June 30, 2017
Robert DeNiro, Ray Liotta and Joe Pesci are great in this film!
June 25, 2017
Great fantastic phenomenal funny mob mafia movie directed by Martin Scorsese, starring Robert de niro, one guy from home alone and some random guy that starred in this movie. I am really digging mafia movies now and I'm trying to watch all the greats. This is definitely one that I would remember and watch again. All the jokes in this movie are hilarious especially how the main character of this movie laughs, he laughs so weird and I can't stop laughing at him because of his laugh. If he really laughs like that in real life I would sorta feel bad for laughing at him but nothing. The story is fantastic and this movie makes you feel for the characters and you don't want anything bad to happen to them, only a few movies can do that and this movie is one of them. Can't wait to see this movie again.
June 22, 2017
The best gangster film ever made. And in my opinion, the best film that I have ever seen. As Bill Burr said on his podcast, 'Every scene is a classic".
June 5, 2017
Nothing like the godfather, but it was entertaining
June 5, 2017
One of the defining gangster classics showing all the textual and dimensions of a gangster's life. The alternative moral universe without the dogmatic, reductivistic view of what a gangster mean.
½ June 2, 2017
Classic DeNiro, Pesci, and Liotta at their best.
May 31, 2017
"Maybe you didn't hear about it, you've been away a long time. They didn't go up there and tell you. I don't shine shoes anymore"... Who of us hasn't said this at one time or another? Truly, five and a half stars.