GoodFellas - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

GoodFellas Reviews

June 25, 2017
Great fantastic phenomenal funny mob mafia movie directed by Martin Scorsese, starring Robert de niro, one guy from home alone and some random guy that starred in this movie. I am really digging mafia movies now and I'm trying to watch all the greats. This is definitely one that I would remember and watch again. All the jokes in this movie are hilarious especially how the main character of this movie laughs, he laughs so weird and I can't stop laughing at him because of his laugh. If he really laughs like that in real life I would sorta feel bad for laughing at him but nothing. The story is fantastic and this movie makes you feel for the characters and you don't want anything bad to happen to them, only a few movies can do that and this movie is one of them. Can't wait to see this movie again.
June 22, 2017
The best gangster film ever made. And in my opinion, the best film that I have ever seen. As Bill Burr said on his podcast, 'Every scene is a classic".
June 5, 2017
Nothing like the godfather, but it was entertaining
June 5, 2017
One of the defining gangster classics showing all the textual and dimensions of a gangster's life. The alternative moral universe without the dogmatic, reductivistic view of what a gangster mean.
½ June 2, 2017
Classic DeNiro, Pesci, and Liotta at their best.
May 31, 2017
"Maybe you didn't hear about it, you've been away a long time. They didn't go up there and tell you. I don't shine shoes anymore"... Who of us hasn't said this at one time or another? Truly, five and a half stars.
May 31, 2017
Good movie about people in the wrong
½ May 29, 2017
(First and only viewing - 8/12/2008)
May 26, 2017
Oh My God. this movie is a classic. flawless. fantastic. brutal
May 21, 2017
A story of mob but unlike any other, a time changing feel to a movie. Henry (Ray Liotta) is seen through the eyes of "Mob is Good". The love of characters like Jimmy (Robert De Niro) and the very "funny" presence of Tommy (Joe Pesci) bring heart to this film.
May 19, 2017
Scorsese masterpiece! Needs to be seen to be believed; in one word: perfection. Every frame, every voice-over, every song - it all comes together at the exact right moment to create the perfect film experience. This film makes you really understand and feel what makes the American mafia so compelling; in the eyes of a kid, who was unfortunate enough to grow up in a tough neighborhood, those gangsters are rock stars. Live fast, die young - but when you die, it ain't gonna be of a glamorous suicide or drug overdose - the ending will be brutal, ugly and sad. And it may very well be one of your best friends that will blow your brains out.

I'll never get tired of watching Goodfellas; the entertainment value of this film is just amazing. It doesn't happen very often that every person involved in the process of making a film is at the peak of his/her game. And rarely do art and entertainment come together the way they did here. Storytelling with impeccable pacing, this is what it's like when a master composer conducts his masterpiece. All hail the king; the most versatile and talented filmmaker of his generation: Martin Scorsese
May 18, 2017
Perfect Mob film with brilliant acting!
May 16, 2017
A classic and to prove how much I love this movie I watched it four nights in a row and bought it on Bluray.
May 5, 2017
5/5. One of, if not the best mafia movies I have ever seen.
½ April 5, 2017
Martin Scorsese's Classic GoodFellas stars Robert De Niro, Ray Liotta, Joe Pesci, Lorraine Bracco, and Paul Sorvino. It has a great cast and great acting by Robert De Niro, Ray Liotta, and Joe Pesci. Director Martin Scorsese does an amazing job with the film. The whole movie is tense, thrilling, amazing and perfect. I give it a 93%
April 4, 2017
"The Godfather" is usually called the greatest gangster film ever made. Several films such as "Scarface", "The Godfather Part 2", "Bonnie and Clyde", and "Pulp Fiction" are rivals to that movie. To me, "Goodfellas" definitely ranks very high up there. I love both "The Godfather" and "Goodfellas" and I think that both films are masterpieces.

This movie follows infamous gangster Henry Hill and his friends as they work their way up in the gangster world. It shows different people and different events he encounters in this film.

I just want to start off this review by saying that this movie is incredibly entertaining. It keeps the movie going at an enjoyable pace and it makes the movie very easy to follow. The movie even draws you in right at the beginning with its brilliant opening scene which is now iconic.

By far, Tommy DeVito (Joe Pesci) is my favorite character in this movie. He is threatening and he seems like the kind of guy that you don't want to mess with. He can lose his temper very easily and if someone annoys him even in the slightest way possible, they risk getting themselves shot and killed. The infamous "Funny How?" scene near the beginning is definitely one of the most tense scenes in all of cinema history. The audience is left wondering if he'll pop and the silence of the scene makes it more tense. In other words, he basically steals the show.

Ray Liotta also gave a fantastic role as Henry Hill. I can't think of a better actor to play him. He captures a feeling of innocence all while having a feeling of violence to him. He also loses his temper easily and when he does, those scenes stick with you very long after viewing it.

Also, Robert De Niro gave a great performance. Robert De Niro has always been one of if not my favorite actor of all time. I like him for his tough guy roles. In my opinion, his performances in "Taxi Driver" and "Raging Bull" are some of the best performances ever in cinema. He gave another phenomenal performance in this movie as well even though he's not in the movie as much as you'd expect him to be based on the DVD cover.

This movie is based on the true story of Henry Hill and it is adapted from the best-selling book "Wiseguy". The book is great but the movie blows it out of the water in every way imaginable. Also, Henry Hill himself actually stated that this movie is about 95% accurate.

Also, the movie is very stylish with its dazzling cinematography. The cinematography looks so good mainly because of the lighting and realistic set design in it. On top of that, Scorsese's Copa Cabana shot is a fabulous shot and it has a lot going for it in terms of the long take.

In conclusion, this movie hits all the right notes and it is contains everything which I think is mandatory in gangster films. It is easy to follow, it has enjoyable pacing, great acting, and memorable characters. This film is definitely a masterpiece and it definitely ranks up there with some of the best movies ever made.
½ March 29, 2017
Goodfellas is another classic mobb movie, It shows the rise of young Henry Hill who ends up turning his back on the Mobb to get off on a drug charger that would have most likely cost him his life. Both De Niro and Pesci put on performances of a life time. Must see flick I still have a hard time watching the end. YOU DON'T RAT ON YOUR FRIENDS
March 28, 2017
When working comes natural to us. When the times call for more work but there isn't any that we find other means of work in the meanwhile. When some work becomes full time when we sre good at it. When some kinds of work we like when its easy, fun and livens our life in a time where most people are not celebrating but we are. When it's all in a days work, when what we do is our job. When we are always working, when it pays a lot. When working makes more sense then learning. When we are always working people making everyone happy. Working other people how they ought to do their job. Working our own people when establishing whose boss. Working to make everything run smooth and when it doesn't we cancel it and start new. When we are working just about everyone when they work for us or we find out who they working for and work them. When our system works when we know how to work the in and out of things that makes others wonder how it works. When we are not working we lay low when somethings are not working when it comes to women whom we happen to work. When working crowds, making everyone happy and relaxed to working certain jobs it's all mystery. When we are constantly working when everybody wants something and we got the goods. When somethings work when we lie when we cannot jeopardize other people's work. When everyone works somethings everyone is in need of an answer. When working means the payout in return. When we give up on things that don't work. When we have to use force to things that work us when we reject them. When somethings we never intended to work works when we are given a piece of power or something else. When certain things work when they last the test of time and fit a purpose in our life and many lives. When our institutions are built on things that work when we continue to enjoy what it represents and brings to us. When our system works when we can't help it when it's in us. When we are always working on something when we are constantly in need to please and offer ourselves to others. When we are always working to make ourselves look good, feel good, know who is no good and just give the goods on where it's good and knowing we have it good. When sometimes working around other institutions causes trouble when it conflicts with other people's work when it's the law. When what works we need to cut corners whether it's legit or unlegit. When we always have to work others whom work us or comply. When somethings only work when we trust whom we work with and for. When we don't mind working the nerves of those whom we can push around when they think they are small. When we know no one works us up without getting away with it. When we must work some people to hide what we are doing. When we don't need to work anyone when all we want is some attention, some appreciation, some courtesy to those we like around. When we know we have it good but need to work to be around. When some work leads to more work. When we need to secure the future of our work by getting rid of the competition. When some work runs clock work when we schedule what we got to do with the right people and time to make everything work. When we know how to work a crowd when emotions run high. When we mix work with pleasure when we have to make sure work is going good to reassure some people. When somethings don't work when it's hard to remove. When somethings work when we are constantly straightening things out and managing everything ourselves. When somethings don't work when we miscommunicate. When somethings don't work when we do intentional to those whom we dislike and see little. When somethings work the first time that we don't mind doing the second time. When we constantly hungry that feeding the beast works and we want more and more. When we can't allow others to work us when our institutions are sacred to us and no work. When what we do is not work that makes us displeased of others working. When we are the only ones working and providing when we are trying to please ourselves and others.

When all we want is for us to be together and make it work out. When what we do others want us to not work out and take our work. When we get into deep into work we begin to show signs of unraveling that we need to rewind and get back on track. When somethings work for us when they are passed down to us proven to work that we continue. When we all have hidden workers working for us, when all eyes are on us. When somethings work when they are harmless and we play it safe. When we please everyone whom need things to work when there are multiple institutions that we need to consider. When sometimes work is only as good as those behind it. When we are gone from work too long our workers are no longer what they used to be that we need to straighten. When we find new means of work, with new goods, new workers and same workers but with a different work ethic. When keeping with appearances means we are always caring where, whom, when and what we look that naturally there is always plenty of work in every place. When our work is all over the place when it's hard to trace and keep track of. When somethings work when we keep our head low for awhile. When somethings don't work when we lose our head and focus and begin to unravel when we are paranoid. When we need to make sure things work when we bring good tidings and joy. When we need to get rid of some workers when we need a bigger cut. When we need to cover our tracks when our work is compromised. When we need to be one step ahead of those whom want to shut us down to make sure things work. When we have no choice but to make it work that we get rid of what bothers us. When following someone's actions has proven to work that we continue. When we are following the wrong people when the right people start showing up in different places that makes following not work. When having connections everywhere and in different instutions makes for somethings to workout perfectly. When we have a proven system that works when we have the goods on our own people that we know and trust have our backs and are only 100% one of us. When work is like family and there are only close members and extended members that we work the outer edges till we reach deep within. When sometimes we don't count other members we least expect that make it hard for us to work. When we can't keep an eye on everything to make sure everything works well with the right people. When overtime, over use and under hostile pressured situations we are over worked and faulty and make mistakes. When somethings work just fine but conflict when we work. When things only work we have business accepting the goods, but they no good, no work. When we have to face it, our work is done here and call the whole thing off.

When what works we are paranoid won't work when all eyes are us. When we rely on those to work, they work and others dont care to listen and work however they please when they don't know how some things work to do their own thing. When we got everything covered and know such plans will work we relax and take a hit when we are as high as a kite when some plans work too well they are meant to feel this high like a rolling stone. When we don't see we covered loose ends, that our plans don't work and we are busted. When we have to get rid of what we have been working on to hide a trace of our work from others from seeing. When we could not work permanently when we cross paths with those whom could put us out of work permanently. When we need somethings to work when we have backup plans to work. When we are worked up over our work to have no work. When being a boss we rely on our workers to work, and be happy that we work for some people to provide us work. When the way we work we are smooth operators when we get rid of the waste.

When the system only works when you comply with how other institutions work and agree to work with them. When working for other people especially your enemies means you abandon your work and co workers. When some institutions are meant to stay when they work and others that don't work disappear. When some systems that don't work we don't take the blame or fall for. When we don't know how things work, or whose pushing the buttons, to know that it doesn't work out when you can't keep it up for too long and you let many people down who rely on work to work. When you try to make somethings workout and they don't, then you have angry grieving people that no longer working or with some people who worked for our livlihood that you don't consider. When you guarantee that things are proven to work and you get people to bet their life on it, and it fails then best believe you will be worked on when your responsible for blood & no work. When somethings only workout when you connect the two together and get your connects to make it all work until it all collapses.
March 24, 2017
Amazing. This is one of the best mobster movies of all time.
March 20, 2017
One Scorsese's best films.