GoodFellas - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

GoodFellas Reviews

February 18, 2018
The Best Mob Movie Ever Made
February 14, 2018
with amazing directing by scorsese, a home run performance by pretty much all the leads (especially joe pesci) goodfellas is one of the greatest movies ever made!
February 8, 2018
Goodfellas, is quite possibly, the greatest mobster film of all-time, for several reasons. Firstly, the ensemble cast is brilliant. Joe Pesci, Robert De Niro, and Ray Liotta are great, believable leads, but they are helped by great performances from Sorvino, Bracco, and Low.

Secondly, the character development and story pacing is perfect. In the first act, we are provided with Henry's upbringing and his introduction into the mob: his rise. The second act, provides us with Henry, Pesci, and De Niro in the prime of their lives. And finally, the third act shows us how it all falls apart. It should be noted that the narration throughout the film, definitely adds a greater sense of personality.

Overall, Scorsese pulls off a masterclass in depicting Henry Hill's life style, and even with the film sitting at almost two and a half hours, it doesn't drag. Every scene contains meaning, and provides a greater sense of perception into the social hierachy/inner-workings of the mob.
February 7, 2018
Absolutely amazing, historically accurate, some of the best acting in film to date, great cast, never bores, amazing dialogue, incredibly well shot, truly thematic, really grips you and engrosses you in not just the time period but the story as well. A true masterpiece that anyone NEEDS to watch.
February 4, 2018
easily one of the best movies of all time.
February 4, 2018
****
It took me a while, but I finally got around to seeing 'Goodfellas', and what an excellent film it is. This based-on-true-events story is packed full of disturbing performances, tons of style and endlessly fascinating characters as you get sucked into the seedy underworld of the mob. From a technical standpoint, you couldn't really ask for more. Plenty of long takes and luscious cinematography keep you glued to the screen, as does the terrific acting from everyone; particularly Joe Pesci, of whom's performance has become iconic at this point. On the negative side, I didn't connect as much emotionally with the characters as I would have liked. Perhaps this is either unintentional, unavoidable or both, but it meant that certain moments didn't quite have the impact I was hoping for. It's a minor quibble, but when you're dealing with something as acclaimed as 'Goodfellas' is, it's important to make clear. Even so, the film was always riveting, and Martin Scorsese makes it all look so easy. It's violent, cruel and unsettling - and all the better for it.
February 1, 2018
"Goodfellas" is, by far, the greatest mafia flick ever created. People like to talk about the cinematography, directing, and incredible acting (as they should), but it is the extreme accuracy that stands out. While films (such as the Godfather) like to romanticize the life of a gangster, this film shows the real horror and psychotic lifestyles these men endured. One of the best films of all time.
(97/100)
Stop busting my balls!
February 1, 2018
While I may not be as enthralled by this film as some. It is still a highly entertaining and classic crime film that is a must watch for fans of the genre. It features and engaging story, a fantastic lineup of actors and great direction from Scorsese.
January 25, 2018
all around masterpiece!
January 21, 2018
Two and a half hour epic (isn't almost every Martin Scorsese directed film?) about Italian-American gangsters in New York.
The film spans a period of thirty years or so and follows the lives of three main characters or 'GoodFellas' as the film is titled. Three men in the same mob who have each other's back be it in their criminal activities of extortion, hijacking, robberies at airports, GBH, drug dealing...
The three characters are kid Henry Hill (Ray Liotta), Jimmy (Robert De Niro) and crazy psychopath Tommy (Joe Pesci).
The film is directed by Martin Scorsese. A director whose work I admire but whose films can drag on a bit in running length. You need patience for the first act at least.
At first I thought the film was glamourising the life of a sixties mobster but it becomes plainly clear that it is a dangerous profession!
Based on a nonfiction book Wiseguy rather than the fictional The Godfather. The film ends with a few cue cards of what happened next.
The close relationship between the three forms the backbone of the film. Through the good times of lots of money, through to backstabbing and witness protection that Henry goes through at the end to prevent a long prison sentence.
A good storyline if somewhat slow at first.
Stick with the film it is really good.
½ January 18, 2018
Yeah, this movie is awesome. Stylish, impeccably written and acted, beautifully shot, and directed with precision. Pretty much nothing to complain about.
January 16, 2018
Was a great movie but they skip over so much that Henry hill did for the vario family. I recommend his book "wiseguy" for anyone who wants his personal full story. You get more of an idea as to just how crazy tommy really was too.
January 15, 2018
Puntaje Original: 6.5

Goodfellas no es más que otro estereotipo de la mafia italoamericana.
January 5, 2018
One of the best Mafia movie ever!!! Fast, stylish, violent... Satisfying!!!
January 3, 2018
Along with THE GODFATHER PART 1 and 2, ONCE UPON A TIME IN AMERICA, WHITE HEAT and a few others, this is among the finest American gangster films ever made. Martin Scorsese's near-perfect masterpiece about an outsider who becomes involved with Italian-American organized crime in 1950's to 1980's New York is unparalleled in terms of emotional involvement and personal interest. A fascinating, almost flawlessly acted epic that is easily one of Scorsese's greatest films and one of his 4 masterpieces.
January 2, 2018
Arguably the best movie ever made.
January 1, 2018
Perhaps the great set mob film ever made....I know, I know...some of you are shaking your head and saying, its Godfather. Well godfather is great but this is best in my opinion. De Niro & Pesci are at their best and probably the best Scorsese film. An absolute must see!
½ January 1, 2018
The narration is carried out well and makes GoodFellas a memorable film. Even if you don't typically care for gangster movies it will pull you in and have you feeling like you've always wanted to be a gangster. Though a little overrated it is certainly something that everybody should see at least once. (First and only viewing - 8/12/2008)
December 25, 2017