Weekend - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Weekend Reviews

½ July 6, 2016
Sheer cinematic anarchy. Easy to admire, but hard to love.
½ May 27, 2016
Loud car accidents sounds, abusive sex
½ February 29, 2016
"FiN DE CONTE, FiN DE CiNEMA".A masterpiece.(for me) His 4th masterpiece (after "Breathless", "Contempt" and "Two or Three Things I Know About Her".
February 23, 2016
My favorite Godard film and one of my favorite films ever. The imagery and poetic dialogue are profound and beautiful. The message is a harsh and violent take on society and capitalism. The traffic jam scene is technical marvel especially for the time. It's Godard at his most cynical and anarchic, but it;s also darkly humurous. Can't recommend it enough
½ February 3, 2016
Truly brilliant. I have no idea why I like this one, but it is a truly wondrous film from Jean-Luc Godard that criticizes and punishes each and every human being. Hell, the audience even gets in on the action by him making us watch this damn thing. It immediately becomes one of the weirdest films I have ever laid eyes on and my brain is still working on trying to unscrew the cap from this film, though that may be truly unattainable. Hilarious, odd, politically poignant, and just downright weird (I know I said odd already), Week End is a masterpiece from the French New Wave, but I have no idea why. Yet, that is why I like it. Don't watch this one unless you really really want to.
January 31, 2016
I was not in the mood for this movie.
½ January 19, 2016
A movie can be a movie without animal torture, casual rape and degradation, and violent cannibalism... but it can't be *cinema*...
October 12, 2015
After many celebrated movies directed by Jean Luc Godard, he decided to make an avant-garde film, and boy! Is it ever trippy!

The story is about a bourgeoisie parisian couple trying to get to Oinville in order to hear a will on the weekend. What we find out throughout the film is that it is set in dystopian future, where the French Revolution and Communism prevail. While everyone spouts fraternal love and the prevailing proletariat. There is mercy, love, friendship or even sense of society, it's just a breakdown.

The lush countryside is spotted while horrific traffic accidents, bloody bodies lying everywhere. People cannibalize, murder and beat up others over trivial things. The thought was great, but the action carried out in this film falls short. I do think this film gave Godard the enfant terrible moniker and was a brave attempt to try something different. It was a learning curve that helped Godard grow as a director, without it, we might never have been blessed with his future masterpieces.

All in all, between the traffic scene (15mins) and aimless killing with shock factor and the bizarre film denouement. I thought is was worth a one time film viewing and left my stomach in knots. It is a haunting film that will have a place in the pantheon in the history of cinema.
August 4, 2015
Using a simple title card, this cinematic provocation that includes everything from road-rage, rape, murder, terrorism to canablism, Jean-Luc Godard announces the end of cinema. I'm not sure if he intended this as "ironic" because this film only validates the power and importance of cinema.
April 28, 2015
Godard is one of the last true pioneers of film still working today.
During the 60s he and Truffaut and others turned the medium of film on its head.
This is is most challenging work of that period.
Made around the time of the Paris riots of that same year Godard flat out attacks everything in this film .
The heart of the film is of course the glorious tracking shot of the traffic jam which is packed full of funny and sometimes disturbing imagery .
If youy want to view the works of Godard start with A bout De Souffle or a Band Apart if you want to jump headlong into his visions then start with this although you may be left wondering what the hell you have just seen
½ November 6, 2014
A baffling little slice of French surreality, Goddard does get a little too preachy with his views of French society. However, there is a wonderfully 'Python'-esque absurdity running throughout that acts as a nice balance.
October 13, 2014
"The death of cinema" indeed.
½ September 16, 2014
It took me several viewings before I could even mildly appreciate this film. This is satire, commentary and dark comedy at it's most bleak. It also has moments of absolute power -- and, oddly, beauty. A very disturbing film.
July 18, 2014
A film that is greater in retrospect than when being viewed. Rife with philosophical questions, but not exactly a pleasurable viewing experience.
April 11, 2014
Godard makes a moviethat's really preachy and artsy, but kind of sacrifices watchability in the process. Strange that I really enjoyed his King Lear, but this one not quite as much. It's not bad though.
½ March 15, 2014
This has to be one of the worst movies ever?? Was forced to watch this in university drama.... Total boring garbage
November 22, 2013
The atrocities of white imperialism are thrust into the face of the bourgeoisie scum couple at the center of this wildly dark farce.
½ November 1, 2013
A bourgeois husband and wife plan a delightful weekend during which they plan to kill their relatives for inheritance.
Eric Braysmith said, "What's interesting about this film is the many ways you hate it." I'm more blunt: fuck this movie. Fuck this movie backwards, sideways, and with that knife-dildo from Seven. Like most of Godard's work, this film defies understanding, and anyone who fully understands it is already inculcated in the film's politics and intellectual community and consequently doesn't need to watch it. Everyone else is left confused. A condemnation of bourgeois ideology, the accessible parts of the film are heavy-handed, and the inaccessible parts wreak of pretentious self-gratification.
Overall, Jean-Luc Godard, whom I've long despised, can finally go fuck himself.
October 30, 2013
An extremely bleak and apocalyptic film, but one that's definitely grown on me over time.
October 30, 2013
A clever and scathing, but relentless and exhausting, attack on society in general and the so called liberal middle class majority in particular. As much art work as film, it's a sprawling tableau of bad behavior and unpleasantness, on display for our reflection. Lots of historical, sociological, and philosophical references were lost on me but, like The Simpsons, the message remains clear - if, at least a bit, different!