Cape Fear - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Cape Fear Reviews

½ June 17, 2017
whit good performances especially de niro with one of his best performances ever pretty suspenseful thrilling movie that was a bit to long and is not for everyone since it is extremely dark and one of the weaker scorsese directed films
May 25, 2017
Cape Fear is directed by Martin Scorsese, and it stars Nick Nolte, Jessica Lange, Juliette Lewis, and Robert De Niro in a thriller about a convicted that got out of prison, and is going after his lawyer and his family after being in prison for many years. When going through my DirecTV list, I saw that this movie is in the bottom and had been there for probably a year or so, and I wanted to watch this to be done with it so that I can finally delete it. So for that matter, let's get to the matter of why I like it, but don't think it's one of the director's bests. The acting is great, especially Robert De Niro as the villain as he is intimidating, while also acting charming and innocent that you can see how people can be fooled by him. The style at first really caught me off guard and I wasn't quite sure whether I like it, but it doesn't do it that much, and it does fit into the film, even if I wasn't on board with it at first. The writing by Wesley Strick is not that bad as there are smart moments from the villain, but that's only because the main characters do so much dumb stuff that it's a miracle that they weren't in a more horrible situation until the end. The direction is really good, and the characters are decent at best. The climax is the best part of the film as it's a different setting that I usually see in a thriller, and it's the only times that the characters actually do something smart. As a remake, it's better than I expect, and with a talented director, you expect something that's actually trying to be a good movie, which this is in all actuality, but not as great as Cape Fear wanted to be.
April 3, 2017
DeNiro is amazing, the suspense is incredible.
Simply a Masterpiece!!
½ February 16, 2017
Part remake of a classic, and part tightly told exercise in Hitchcockian filmmaking. Martin Scorsese is arguably the finest filmmaker working today, and this film feels like all of his passion for the classics being strung together in a better-than-it-needs-to-be remake of a landmark thriller with a viciously alive performance by the great Robert De Niro that gives Robert Mitchum a run for his money.
½ February 1, 2017
The performances from Robert Di Nero & Juliette Lewis are absolutely stunning.
January 29, 2017
Most likely the creepiest thriller I've ever seen with fantastic performances from an insane Robert De Niro and a sane Nick Nolte. B+
January 19, 2017
I don't know how he does it but Scorsese makes another great movie. De Niro's performance in this is just chilling and I'm glad he was recognized at the Oscar's. I'm usually not for remakes but if they are going to do it you have to get a director like Marty. Scorsese shines in this film, he seems to never make a bad film.
½ January 10, 2017
Love this dramatic thriller. De Niro is great
January 5, 2017
A perfect story but it seems to suffer from it being out of date however obviously has great directing and De Niro is insane
½ November 29, 2016
A simply impressive performance by De Niro.
½ November 26, 2016
The unfortunate trouble with Cape Fear is that it dabbles in numerous genres and plot avenues without sticking to any of them.
November 14, 2016
A remake, sure! But, to the neck deep in fear and terror. Robert De Niro really plays hard, and is playing his truly cruelest and scariest role of his career. Nick Nolte is possessed by this and its actually very entertaining. Even though the river-ending is fucked up.
November 11, 2016
With a terrifying score, Martin Scorsese's confident direction and an insanely committed performance form Robert De Niro, Cape Fear is one of very few remakes that improve upon the original.
½ November 6, 2016
One of the most ridiculous film I've ever watched. I think the people who played the mother and daughter were high on cocaine when they filmed this. The music is completely out of sync with the movie, if not just down right wrong for this movie. Is this suppose to be an action? horror? or really bad comedy? I don't know. Silly movie, ridiculous plot.
October 15, 2016
Cape Fear may be best remembered for the Simpsons' clever parody, but the 1991 remake took psychological terror, creepiness and brutality to new levels. It won't be an easy movie for many people to watch. Robert DeNiro's Max Cady is a performance for the ages, walking the line between kindly southern gentleman and evil sadism with unpredictable shifts.
September 28, 2016
December 2009
September 2016
September 27, 2016
One of Robert De Niro's best performances. Martin Scorsese provides a sense of dread that no other director could have done; a masterpiece.
September 21, 2016
"Counselor....counselor....come out, come out where ever you are..." As much as I love Scorsese and believe it is impossible for him to do a bad movie, the real credit goes to DeNiro in this film as he gives without a doubt one of the creepiest, disturbing, and moving performances of his career; he's is the reason the movie is as good as it is. Nick Nolte, one of my favs definitley lives up to DeNiro as well as the part originally played by Gregory Peck, and DeNiro playing the role eventually played by the great Robert Mitchum, but until recently I never saw the original and truthfully I like Scorsese's version better. Not because it's Scorsese and DeNiro, but because I have watched this movie for as long as I can remember that after getting so use to this movie, that the original was kind of.....ok. But I understand that the original is going to be different, but I just couldn't get into it the way I could with the remake, but I do understand why the original is a classic. But it the Scorsese/DeNiro version that really sticks out among the original and that is because of DeNiro, the way he's dressed, his hair, the tattoos, everything. Watching DeNiro in movies like this, "Raging Bull," "Goodfellas of course, "Taxi Driver", and so forth and so on make me realize why DeNiro is still one of my favorite actors of all time even though he hasn't done a good movie since I think "Meet the Parents," but I understand every actor has their bump in the road in their career. Juliette Lewis always reminds of how surprisingly good she is as well in this movie as Nick Nolte's daughter, cause when I think of the movie I generally think of Nolte and DeNiro in a Scorsese film, but Juliette Lewis come through as well in this film. My aunt's girlfriend told me when we watched this movie during Christmas break that the scene between Lewis and DeNiro in the theater class downstairs alone, and the way DeNiro talks to her and then starts kissing her is worse than him having sex with them in this film, and you know something she is right, but hey...that's good acting.
September 9, 2016
Scorsese's mastery in the art of film is not on display in his remake of "Cape Fear," but this absurd psychological horror film doesn't go without it's thrills and features a great performance from Robert De Niro.
½ September 1, 2016
this movie was beyond awful. the simple act of watching it was painful but I forced myself through the whole thing. most of it was unrealistic, especially not explaining how Max managed to get to the family every time. i honestly don't understand what most people find so amazing about this movie. maybe it's just me. terrible