Cape Fear - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

September 11, 2017
I must review this film before Max Cady kills me
August 19, 2017
***
There's a lot to like about 'Cape Fear', including some excellent performances and stylish direction from Scorsese as well as genuine tension throughout. However, the film too often asks you to suspend disbelief, and by the end it's equivalent to a Tom and Jerry cartoon.
½ August 13, 2017
One of the finest written and acted villains of all time.
August 11, 2017
Martin Scorsese isn't as masterful as he is in his other films, but he still shows flares of greatness in his direction. The only reason why you feel good that this movie was remade is the crazy performance by Robert De Niro. De Niro will leave a lasting impression on you and that's what he intended.
August 3, 2017
My Mom Kelli Krajci Really Enjoyed This Movie.
½ June 17, 2017
whit good performances especially de niro with one of his best performances ever pretty suspenseful thrilling movie that was a bit to long and is not for everyone since it is extremely dark and one of the weaker scorsese directed films
May 25, 2017
Cape Fear is directed by Martin Scorsese, and it stars Nick Nolte, Jessica Lange, Juliette Lewis, and Robert De Niro in a thriller about a convicted that got out of prison, and is going after his lawyer and his family after being in prison for many years. When going through my DirecTV list, I saw that this movie is in the bottom and had been there for probably a year or so, and I wanted to watch this to be done with it so that I can finally delete it. So for that matter, let's get to the matter of why I like it, but don't think it's one of the director's bests. The acting is great, especially Robert De Niro as the villain as he is intimidating, while also acting charming and innocent that you can see how people can be fooled by him. The style at first really caught me off guard and I wasn't quite sure whether I like it, but it doesn't do it that much, and it does fit into the film, even if I wasn't on board with it at first. The writing by Wesley Strick is not that bad as there are smart moments from the villain, but that's only because the main characters do so much dumb stuff that it's a miracle that they weren't in a more horrible situation until the end. The direction is really good, and the characters are decent at best. The climax is the best part of the film as it's a different setting that I usually see in a thriller, and it's the only times that the characters actually do something smart. As a remake, it's better than I expect, and with a talented director, you expect something that's actually trying to be a good movie, which this is in all actuality, but not as great as Cape Fear wanted to be.
April 3, 2017
DeNiro is amazing, the suspense is incredible.
Simply a Masterpiece!!
½ February 16, 2017
Part remake of a classic, and part tightly told exercise in Hitchcockian filmmaking. Martin Scorsese is arguably the finest filmmaker working today, and this film feels like all of his passion for the classics being strung together in a better-than-it-needs-to-be remake of a landmark thriller with a viciously alive performance by the great Robert De Niro that gives Robert Mitchum a run for his money.
½ February 1, 2017
The performances from Robert Di Nero & Juliette Lewis are absolutely stunning.
January 29, 2017
Most likely the creepiest thriller I've ever seen with fantastic performances from an insane Robert De Niro and a sane Nick Nolte. B+
January 19, 2017
I don't know how he does it but Scorsese makes another great movie. De Niro's performance in this is just chilling and I'm glad he was recognized at the Oscar's. I'm usually not for remakes but if they are going to do it you have to get a director like Marty. Scorsese shines in this film, he seems to never make a bad film.
½ January 10, 2017
Love this dramatic thriller. De Niro is great
January 5, 2017
A perfect story but it seems to suffer from it being out of date however obviously has great directing and De Niro is insane
½ November 29, 2016
A simply impressive performance by De Niro.
½ November 26, 2016
The unfortunate trouble with Cape Fear is that it dabbles in numerous genres and plot avenues without sticking to any of them.
November 14, 2016
A remake, sure! But, to the neck deep in fear and terror. Robert De Niro really plays hard, and is playing his truly cruelest and scariest role of his career. Nick Nolte is possessed by this and its actually very entertaining. Even though the river-ending is fucked up.
November 11, 2016
With a terrifying score, Martin Scorsese's confident direction and an insanely committed performance form Robert De Niro, Cape Fear is one of very few remakes that improve upon the original.
½ November 6, 2016
One of the most ridiculous film I've ever watched. I think the people who played the mother and daughter were high on cocaine when they filmed this. The music is completely out of sync with the movie, if not just down right wrong for this movie. Is this suppose to be an action? horror? or really bad comedy? I don't know. Silly movie, ridiculous plot.
October 15, 2016
Cape Fear may be best remembered for the Simpsons' clever parody, but the 1991 remake took psychological terror, creepiness and brutality to new levels. It won't be an easy movie for many people to watch. Robert DeNiro's Max Cady is a performance for the ages, walking the line between kindly southern gentleman and evil sadism with unpredictable shifts.